Jimmy Page #1 T-Top Bridge Pickup

cnote

Reaction score
Not sure where I got the 8.6K.

The one Tim said may have been a replacement he measured at 8.97K in the guitar. So it wasnt that. I have read so much on this and just came to 8.6K somewhere. But that is secondary. It is more the sound of it and the actual output just seems significantly more (maybe 5% plus the location of the pickup making it more like 15-20%) than the bridge - both alone and when he used the middle position.

B3CEAA07-32E4-4A48-9D29-90A02F46BF98.jpeg

Bryansamui

Reaction score
I heard the Duncan's were put in his red les paul, to upgrade from the mini humbuckers....i guess we will never know unless some one here knows page himself and or his tech maybe but thats it if you ask me
The Pickup in that Red Guitar in the film doesn't sound like any Duncan pickup that I've ever heard....We don't hear the neck pup in the film, only bridge and middle slots..The bridge sound really close to the bridge in #1 to me .I'm picking it's a T Top...It's. Very focused and has that "Keraaang" sound .It doesn't sound like a PAF type.
I'm picking he had 7 T On that stage. 1in #1 , 4 in the EDS 1275 and 2 in the Red Guitar..
That the T-Top era was a more extreme middle position tone than with the PAF tells me that the T-Top was maybe 5% less output than the PAF. But that unique middle tone was there with the PAF too, just not as distinct. The neck pickup has been measured in the guitar as 8.6K, which would be lower out of the guitar. That is not output, but I definitely think the neck was significantly stronger than the bridge pickup in both cases because of the distinct middle tone. The bridge was never measured but I imagine it would be around 8K/4.8H at 100Hz, with the T-Top at 7.6K/4.2ish H at 100Hz. I wound a set with a 7.9k/[email protected] bridge and 8.4k/5.1H for the PAF tone and am happy with it as I like his PAF tone better.
My source/acquaintance measured the Neck PAF in the early 70s at "mid 8's" .That what he told me .I don't know how accurate those non digital meters could be be read, nor (more importantly) I have no idea at what temperature that was measured at?..I didn't understand that and never asked him.( for DCR enthusiasts)

I can get a very very similar sounding result with pickups that have DCRs several hundreds of ohms difference. ( eg 8.1k or 8.6k)..If however, I change my magnet supplier, or I can't get that "magic magnet",. I'm in a world of pain ...In other words , for the Page tone if you knew the exact correct DCR of the Page neck at the correct temperature , and had a 'generic Gibson or Duncan type' magnet, you MIGHT get 10 % there.
If you had a 'rough idea' of the DCR but had a fantastic magnet for that pick-up you might get 90% there...I have such a magnet as does James (Cooljuk)on this forum..I don't know any others?.All I know is Gibson don't have such a magnet..(or at least, they didn't use it in the Page Les Pauls)

jbash

Reaction score
The Pickup in that Red Guitar in the film doesn't sound like any Duncan pickup that I've ever heard....We don't hear the neck pup in the film, only bridge and middle slots..The bridge sound really close to the bridge in #1 to me .I'm picking it's a T Top...It's. Very focused and has that "Keraaang" sound .It doesn't sound like a PAF type.
I'm picking he had 7 T On that stage. 1in #1 , 4 in the EDS 1275 and 2 in the Red Guitar..
The Duncan WLH sounds almost exactly like the bridge pickup in Red. And you are correct that Red does not sound like a PAF either. Seymours wind was never meant to sound like any kind of PAF. The 59 set was a sonic recreation (of Jeff Beck's 59). The WLH (in whatever form/whatever name given to it- JP set) is Seymour's "Super hot" rewind...IOW, he put in a new (stronger) magnet, and rewound those old broken PAFs, working PAFs, or whatever Gibson pickups they brought in for him to do his thing on- it's not a recreation or an attempt to do his own spin on any particular PAF- it's his version of a "proto Super Distortion".

Bryansamui

Reaction score
The Duncan WLH sounds almost exactly like the bridge pickup in Red. And you are correct that Red does not sound like a PAF either. Seymours wind was never meant to sound like any kind of PAF. The 59 set was a sonic recreation (of Jeff Beck's 59). The WLH (in whatever form/whatever name given to it- JP set) is Seymour's "Super hot" rewind...IOW, he put in a new (stronger) magnet, and rewound those old broken PAFs, working PAFs, or whatever Gibson pickups they brought in for him to do his thing on- it's not a recreation or an attempt to do his own spin on any particular PAF- it's his version of a "proto Super Distortion".
The WLH moniker certainly has created confusion with Page Tone Chasers , albeit not as much as Gibsons 2004 Reissues (with Eye Watering prices) that firstly didn't capture the tone of the famous years pickup wise ,but was also wired incorrectly in the production , even after Jimmy explained on the YouTube video in plain English how it was wired when they viewed it.

AJK1

Reaction score
Didn’t JP use Monty’s pickups in the last decade or so ?

Latest Threads