Jimmy Page #1 T-Top Bridge Pickup

dp4444

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Not sure if this is the best thread to ask this, but here goes: Has anyone compared the ReWind JP-Post72 pickups to the Grinning Dog Mr. Jimmy pickups? Seems like those two are at the head of the pack, but I haven't seen any comparisons. Thanks for your help!

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What makes you think the Grinning Dog pickups are even close to being at the head of the pack? I can’t find a single review, demo, video, article, etc about them anywhere on the net.

RocketKing

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Not sure if this is the best thread to ask this, but here goes: Has anyone compared the ReWind JP-Post72 pickups to the Grinning Dog Mr. Jimmy pickups? Seems like those two are at the head of the pack, but I haven't seen any comparisons. Thanks for your help!
I'm afraid I've never even heard of those

dp4444

Reaction score
What makes you think the Grinning Dog pickups are even close to being at the head of the pack? I can’t find a single review, demo, video, article, etc about them anywhere on the net.
Hi there! There are a couple of things on YouTube, but you can also just find videos of Mr. Jimmy using them. And Jimmy Sakurai is the reason I would say they're likely to be contenders. If he had something to do with their development, voicing, winding, etc., then I'd imagine they're pretty dang good.

What would you say are the best? I've played/owned the SDs, Bare Knuckles, and currently have the ReWinds, which are awesome. Just curious about the Mr. Jimmy set and would be interested in some kind of comparison.

Cheers!

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hi there! There are a couple of things on YouTube, but you can also just find videos of Mr. Jimmy using them. And Jimmy Sakurai is the reason I would say they're likely to be contenders. If he had something to do with their development, voicing, winding, etc., then I'd imagine they're pretty dang good.

What would you say are the best? I've played/owned the SDs, Bare Knuckles, and currently have the ReWinds, which are awesome. Just curious about the Mr. Jimmy set and would be interested in some kind of comparison.

Cheers!
I would stick with the Rewinds. You have the pickups you need, if you’re still not getting the tone you are after, it’s time to look at the other factors involved…

Jimi03

Reaction score
No, i don't think so i was wondering the same thing. I don't think anybody really knows about the grinning dog mr jimmy pickups in the states.

On the other hand, I put the jppost72 set in my gibson usa 50's standard and the neck pickup was dark-ish. Or maybe just really full sounding, and being compared to the ttop bridge which is bright and thin it makes it sound darker than it really is. Also my amp is a supro black magick reverb and supro's, new ones not valcos are dark sounding, so that dosen't help.

Recently, i got a 2020 R9 and placed the jppost72 set in it and the neck is not as dark as it was in my usa. With the tone all the way up it's perfect, not bright but perfect spot to just leave it.

James the owner (ReWind Electric) is a cool dude he's on here also. I drove him nuts about the pickups i got off him and to his credit he was gracious with his time whenever i reached out to him

dp4444

Reaction score
No, i don't think so i was wondering the same thing. I don't think anybody really knows about the grinning dog mr jimmy pickups in the states.

On the other hand, I put the jppost72 set in my gibson usa 50's standard and the neck pickup was dark-ish. Or maybe just really full sounding, and being compared to the ttop bridge which is bright and thin it makes it sound darker than it really is. Also my amp is a supro black magick reverb and supro's, new ones not valcos are dark sounding, so that dosen't help.

Recently, i got a 2020 R9 and placed the jppost72 set in it and the neck is not as dark as it was in my usa. With the tone all the way up it's perfect, not bright but perfect spot to just leave it.

James the owner (ReWind Electric) is a cool dude he's on here also. I drove him nuts about the pickups i got off him and to his credit he was gracious with his time whenever i reached out to him
Yeah, James from ReWind is awesome to work with, and the JP-Post72 set is the best I've played. They sound incredible! I'm playing an R9 through a Metropoulos MetroPlex. They also sound great through my Dr. Z Z-Plus, which is a sweet grab and go combo amp. With those pickups and a decent amp you don't really need any pedals! They're so versatile and rich. So many great tones. Just a wah and a delay, maybe a fuzz, and you're good to go!

I think any Jimmy Page/LZ fan should be paying attention to what Mr. Jimmy is doing right now. Check him out on YouTube. I saw him a couple years ago with Jason Bonham, and he just played the Whiskey in December. He's amazing, and it's a cool story. Can't wait to see the documentary about him. Anyway, that's why I ask about the Grinning Dog pickups. Apparently he worked directly with them to develop the pickups. So I'm guessing they're pretty sweet. He's a real Page tone and gear aficionado, obsessed might be a better word for it! :)

I ordered a set so I can do a comparison once I get them installed. But I'm so torn! The ReWinds are so good! I'll definitely keep them, but give the Grinning Dogs a fair shot to dethrone them!

Dazza

Reaction score
Yeah, James from ReWind is awesome to work with, and the JP-Post72 set is the best I've played. They sound incredible! I'm playing an R9 through a Metropoulos MetroPlex. They also sound great through my Dr. Z Z-Plus, which is a sweet grab and go combo amp. With those pickups and a decent amp you don't really need any pedals! They're so versatile and rich. So many great tones. Just a wah and a delay, maybe a fuzz, and you're good to go!

I think any Jimmy Page/LZ fan should be paying attention to what Mr. Jimmy is doing right now. Check him out on YouTube. I saw him a couple years ago with Jason Bonham, and he just played the Whiskey in December. He's amazing, and it's a cool story. Can't wait to see the documentary about him. Anyway, that's why I ask about the Grinning Dog pickups. Apparently he worked directly with them to develop the pickups. So I'm guessing they're pretty sweet. He's a real Page tone and gear aficionado, obsessed might be a better word for it! :)

I ordered a set so I can do a comparison once I get them installed. But I'm so torn! The ReWinds are so good! I'll definitely keep them, but give the Grinning Dogs a fair shot to dethrone them!
Mr Jimmy is superb and a lovely guy. I got to talk with him quite a lot over several days a few years back when he played with Led Zepagain.

As I mentioned before the tone has to be in the guitar naturally for all parts to work together. Pickups are only part of the equation. The video I saw of him in a Japanese guitar store was particularly about finding the Page tone in Historics. He played a few until 1 stood out. Especially regarding the middle position, Page's most definitive tone. Then he tweaked the pickups to further dial it in.

My JPPost72 pickups definitely have the sound. However the Historic I have them in has too much low end resonance to be a perfect Page. My CA Page and Clapton Beano would be much better hosts for these pickups but as I'm not modding them I'm stuck with what I have.

You can experiment with swapping magnets and hardware parts to possibly filter or enhance certain frequencies. But what results you get in 1 guitar will not necessarily be repeated in another.
Part of the annoyance, and fun of swapping guitar parts is you never really know what the end result will be until you try it.

I'm looking forward to hearing about these Grinning Dog pickups.

Enjoy
Daz

RocketKing

Reaction score

Definitely looking forward to hearing your impressions

Jimi03

Reaction score

When did you order them? I spoke to the Grinning Dog winder, who's in Japan for anyone who didn't know that. He said he can't ship to usa right now because of covid. I'd love to try the set out for myself. And yes, right now ReWind jppost72 set is the best page humbucker set for TSRTS tone.

Keep me posted on the MR. JIMMY PICKUPS?

dp4444

Reaction score
When did you order them? I spoke to the Grinning Dog winder, who's in Japan for anyone who didn't know that. He said he can't ship to usa right now because of covid. I'd love to try the set out for myself. And yes, right now ReWind jppost72 set is the best page humbucker set for TSRTS tone.

Keep me posted on the MR. JIMMY PICKUPS?
I ordered them last week direct from Grinning Dog. Through PayPal. He didn't say anything about shipping issues. . . .

Jimi03

Reaction score
I ordered them last week direct from Grinning Dog. Through PayPal. He didn't say anything about shipping issues. . . .
Cool, maybe you might want to ask him to double check, because you could be waiting a while

dp4444

Reaction score
Cool, maybe you might want to ask him to double check, because you could be waiting a while
They shipped out today via Japan Post! I just hope they don't take forever to get here. Shinji was great to work with.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score

Not to nit pick but just to clarify a small point for any others reading this, because it actually does make a difference in how a set of pickups not working out would have been handled....

You did NOT get the pickups off me. You told me your girlfriend bought them for you used from someone else on Reverb. If you HAD bought them from me, I'd have offered to exchange them for a more appropriate set or modify them to better fit your tastes and rig, as I do for others. I can't do that on sets that aren't bought new directly from me, though.

I've been happy to help you troubleshoot your rig for years on all the various social media platforms, email, here, etc. anyway but my advice has never changed - they are not the right pickups for you and your rig. Page's pickups are a critical part of his sound, but without a similar guitar, rig, and style, the pickups will not take you there.

Jimi03

Reaction score
Not to nit pick but just to clarify a small point for any others reading this, because it actually does make a difference in how a set of pickups not working out would have been handled....

You did NOT get the pickups off me. You told me your girlfriend bought them for you used from someone else on Reverb. If you HAD bought them from me, I'd have offered to exchange them for a more appropriate set or modify them to better fit your tastes and rig, as I do for others. I can't do that on sets that aren't bought new directly from me, though.

I've been happy to help you troubleshoot your rig for years on all the various social media platforms, email, here, etc. anyway but my advice has never changed - they are not the right pickups for you and your rig. Page's pickups are a critical part of his sound, but without a similar guitar, rig, and style, the pickups will not take you there.
I thought i told you that I swaped them out of my gibson usa 50's standard and put them in my new R9. The necks not to dark anymore, the R9 is brighter then the usa model. It sounds great now too, does exactly what I wanted. I guess the usa model was just another victim of gibbons poor quality control.

You never heard me play, how do you know my style? LOL

I just wanted to say that what i meant by "getting the pickups off james was it was his wind under his brand.

rich85

Reaction score
Alright so what was the original Bridge PAF magnet? Alnico 2? 5?

The only way I get close to Led Zeppelin II album tone is Alnico 5 bridge pickups. The SD Whole Lotta Humbucker especially obviously. But of course that’s from modern off the shelf pickups.

Jimi03

Reaction score

The only way I get close to Led Zeppelin II album tone is Alnico 5 bridge pickups. The SD Whole Lotta Humbucker especially obviously. But of course that’s from modern off the shelf pickups.
A5

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score

Anyone who claims to know is either full of it or just guessing. Nobody destroyed the pickup to find out for certain and the rest of his guitar / rig is so particular sounding all you can do is compare it to other recordings of Page playing known pickups in later guitar and try to hear through time, the other aspects of the pickup, the rest of his gear, recording equipment, etc.

What brought you to this conclusion?

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
For what it's worth, if anyone is going to go by what Tim from BKP says, go back and rewatch that section of the video.

He says that Page's tech who delivered the guitar told him the neck pickup PAF in #1 had already been changed out for another PAF and was no longer the original PAF at the time Tim examined it.

If you care about the details of that non-original neck PAF, there's still something else worth noting that the non-technical likely missed in that video...

Tim says he determined that the neck magnet, in the already swapped out neck PAF, is an A2 and that he determined that by measuring its Gauss from outside the cover, not wanting to remove the pickup or open it up (understandably!).

There is no way to conclude the type is an A2 by that method of measurement.

I'm not saying is isn't an A2, just that testing that particular way cannot conclude that.

Here's why - A2s are the weakest AlNiCo magnet type. If you're going to determine a pickup type by Gauss alone (not a complete measurement anyway), getting a weak measurement can't tell you the type. The magnet could be ANY AlNiCo type charged so weakly as to read low. Tim also notes that the magnet was extremely weak, even for an A2. Why not a very weak A4, A5, A3, A8 or ceramic magnet, from that test, even? Obviously, some of those are extremely unlikely, but that test couldn't prove otherwise.

I'm not saying Tim is wrong about the magnet being an A2. It probably is. He had the guitar in his hands and is experienced enough that I trust his ears. I'm only stating that that method is factually unable to determine a magnet type. Gauss alone is a poor indicator of much. It would have to be an extremely HIGH reading to rule out other weaker types that can't hold such a high charge. A weak Gauss reading just says nothing more than there's a weak magnet of potentially any type somewhere under the cover inside that pickup. That's it.

Please don't take any of this as a knock at Tim. I certainly don't mean it that way. He's a very experienced and kind fellow whom I respect. This is just a clarification about magnet types and testing methods.

Latest Threads