Jimmy Page #1 Project

calieng

Reaction score
I have had this True Historic up for sale for a bit but no luck selling. It really is a nice guitar and just rethinking things right now and maybe sell something else instead. This one has a fair bit of dye bleed even into the top.

What do you think of the flame on this one for a Jimmy Page #1 project? It kind of has a similar flame do you think? Does not have to be exact.

If enough people agree I will send off to Historic Makeovers for a repaint and scalloped neck shave. Will post the process of conversion.

Let me know!

s-l1600-15.jpg

calieng

Reaction score
Doesn't look like JP #1 to me. I'd leave it alone as is, it's lovely.

No I suppose it looks more like the tops Gibson used on the JP model. Is that pic the real deal or a replica? I thought it had a little more flame than that? Trying to find some good pics of it.

calieng

Reaction score
Great that is very helpful. I am definitely going to do the project but maybe look for a beater online that has a similar top that I can send over to HM.

Last edited:

calieng

Reaction score
Thank you!

I think I would have to ask Mr. Hague or another builder if he could do that. I doubt I would find anything close. Maybe a '58 or '60 model out there somewhere but the '60 neck might already be too slim at the headstock and body.

Well something to occupy my time for now while I am between work assignments.

Let me know if you every see one for sale with a top similar to that.

Thanks!

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thank you!

I think I would have to ask Mr. Hague or another builder if he could do that. I doubt I would find anything close.

Thanks!
Custom replica seems like the way to go if you want something as close as possible. The Greenies he has done have been incredible, as well as a Pearly he did a few years back.

calieng

Reaction score
Custom replica seems like the way to go if you want something as close as possible. The Greenies he has done have been incredible, as well as a Pearly he did a few years back.
I think you are right. Only problem is he is 14 weeks backed up.

I'll keep an eye out for something close in the mean time. No rush.

calieng

Reaction score
This other one I have from Steve kind of looks like the Joe Perry. I wonder if that is what the original owner was going for?

00L0L_2gZpdTiJs5Fz_0yQ0m4_1200x900.jpg

ezail10

Reaction score
Calieng...I would say the HM replica that you have would be a great candidate for the JP#1. It has a great mismatched top and the color is really close. Prob can get HM to fade it a bit more and do some more aging on it. May be an easy project for them.

Brewdude

Reaction score
Here are some better pics as it was on display at a museum.

View attachment 533228
Hey I think those were my shots! (Not that I was the only person to take pictures of an object that didn’t move for 9 months lol)

Anyway, I think this picture describes best the fingerprint of #1, and why the Custom Shop pieces were cool, but ultimately “just” really nice flamed R9’s with a honey burst finish.

OP I think you’ve come to that conclusion already but you’re doing to need someone that can really sift through some maple to find one that is close to that. I’ve been keeping an eye out and it’s sort of difficult as so many get advertised as mega flame when you just want the mineral streaks. And of course, who knows what it will look like after it is carved. If you have a relationship with a builder I think that is definitely the way to go...

calieng

Reaction score
Calieng...I would say the HM replica that you have would be a great candidate for the JP#1. It has a great mismatched top and the color is really close. Prob can get HM to fade it a bit more and do some more aging on it. May be an easy project for them.
Yes I was thinking the color looks close to some of those pictures but the flame is a little off. What do you think. I would almost hate to ruin that one as it is pretty nice as is. The flame on the top half needs to be going in a slight reverse chevron direction.

00x0x_5CaBCejAzgQz_0j80t2_1200x900.jpg

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey I think those were my shots! (Not that I was the only person to take pictures of an object that didn’t move for 9 months lol)

Anyway, I think this picture describes best the fingerprint of #1, and why the Custom Shop pieces were cool, but ultimately “just” really nice flamed R9’s with a honey burst finish.

OP I think you’ve come to that conclusion already but you’re doing to need someone that can really sift through some maple to find one that is close to that. I’ve been keeping an eye out and it’s sort of difficult as so many get advertised as mega flame when you just want the mineral streaks. And of course, who knows what it will look like after it is carved. If you have a relationship with a builder I think that is definitely the way to go...
Yup.........I stole them off the Jimmy Page thread.....who do i make the check out to:rofl:

calieng

Reaction score
How about my 2017 Murphy.....if I leave it out in the sun for a bit.

Trash an 8k guitar? Not really the right flame either but not too bad???

s-l1600-16.jpg

ezail10

Reaction score
I think that not much would need to be done to the HM replica. A little fading, some additional character (aging), exposed pickup at the bridge, change the tuners. Id also get HM to change the headstock inlay to a 50's style. I think the key is the mismatched top.

calieng

Reaction score
I think that not much would need to be done to the HM replica. A little fading, some additional character (aging), exposed pickup at the bridge, change the tuners. Id also get HM to change the headstock inlay to a 50's style. I think the key is the mismatched top.
I looked at it again up close and the falme is too far off.

The Murphy is actually a better match but I think Tom sprayed some toner on the flame to enhance it. I doubt it fades in the sun.

I'll just go online guitar safari. See what is out there. Maybe text Mr. Hague and see what he thinks. Almost hate to bug him he is so busy.

calieng

Reaction score
How about this one? It's got the ring of grain on the top half and mild flame. Somewaht mismatched.

Last edited:

Latest Threads