Jimmy Holmes' trip through the criminal justice system begins...

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Second, there were more than 70 people in there and all they could do was not think and act like a pack of fearsome gazelles? This kind of thing irritates me.

Dark -- teargassy -- confusion reigns , the sounds of the movie mingling with the gunfire, you're confused -- you're shot in the arm but don't know it, it doesn't hurt yet but you can't move your arm -- you're choking ... you're so afraid that you just pissed yourself. Your neighbor who tried to run has gotten shot and fallen over atop you and his brains are splattered into your eyes anyway, making you even less aware of what's going on. You push his two hundred and fourteen pounds off of you and start to stagger to your feet on your good arm.

What do you want to do next?

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Dark -- teargassy -- confusion reigns , the sounds of the movie mingling with the gunfire, you're confused -- you're shot in the arm but don't know it, it doesn't hurt yet but you can't move your arm -- you're choking ... you're so afraid that you just pissed yourself. Your neighbor who tried to run has gotten shot and fallen over atop you and his brains are splattered into your eyes anyway, making you even less aware of what's going on. You push his two hundred and fourteen pounds off of you and start to stagger to your feet on your good arm.

What do you want to do next?

HA HA! THUNDERGOD SNEERS AT YOUR PUSILLANIMITY*!

Thor_God_of_Thunder_by_Dan_Van_Cool.jpg

*I looked this word up, just for you Thump!

MeKevin

Reaction score
Well, I'm an armchair quarterback, and I don't need another armchair quaterback to tell me I wouldn't (I'm sure you will though), but I would've had a run at the guy.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
I lived through the revolution that overthrew the Shah. They rioted outside my school one afternoon and they had to bring Army troops in to shoot a path open for our buses.

I've never been in or witnessed a mass murder, but I imagine it's got to be incomparably more terrifying than what I experienced.

nauc

Reaction score
Ok, after reading the whole thing I have to give my opinion on two points:

First, he "believes" he's the joker (I'm not buying it, IMO he's playing the too crazy to go to jail card) and the police and the legal system find no better thing to do than treat him like he's the joker????? :wtf: they put him on a special cell and keep him away from the rest of the inmates and everything else? Why? Send him in with the rest of them. Let him experience prison in all it's beauty.

Second, there were more than 70 people in there and all they could do was not think and act like a pack of fearsome gazelles? This kind of thing irritates me. Some of them must have had some weapons training (it's the US, statistically 1 out of every 5 grannies has tried a rocket launcher). So why didn't they pile on him? People need to stop running in fear. If you are alone I can understand feeling fear but 70 against 1? Even with his guns it would have ended shortly for him and they could have prevented him from killing as many people as he did.

What this world lacks is leaders. People are turning into sheep and they run scared for the smallest reasons. They need to stop fearing imbeciles with guns, a gun doesn't make you better or more dangerous.

im sure it has to do with common sense and odds

an individual, among 70 (or however many there was in the theater), probably thinks they have a better chance getting out alive by ducking, running, and crawling vs rushing the shooter

MeKevin

Reaction score
I dunno guys. I could have low-crawled (very good at this) around behind him and taken him down. I really doubt he ever looked behind himself. I would be more scared of a shotgun than an assault rifle. It being dark, he is at the same disadvantages. CS gas? Shit, I can sit in the CS chamber for 5 minutes. I can do pushups in there. Some people are impervious to it. I doubt that the concentration in the theater was 1/10th of what I have experienced. I am pretty sure I would have gotten to him. I know, it sounds stupid, and you gotta question someone's motives for claiming that they would have done so. Yada yada. I would have had a run at him. I always run towards stuff, don't know why.

I am surprised that no one did though. Like I said, I guess because it was dark, they were scared. But the guy is at the same disadvantages. I guess I am old enough that death doesn't scare me as much and/or I don't value my life as much as others. You guys are right, I probably would have at least been shot.

BillB1960

Reaction score
I dunno guys. I could have low-crawled (very good at this) around behind him and taken him down. I really doubt he ever looked behind himself. I would be more scared of a shotgun than an assault rifle. It being dark, he is at the same disadvantages. CS gas? Shit, I can sit in the CS chamber for 5 minutes. I can do pushups in there. Some people are impervious to it. I doubt that the concentration in the theater was 1/10th of what I have experienced. I am pretty sure I would have gotten to him. I know, it sounds stupid, and you gotta question someone's motives for claiming that they would have done so. Yada yada. I would have had a run at him. I always run towards stuff, don't know why.

I am surprised that no one did though. Like I said, I guess because it was dark, they were scared. But the guy is at the same disadvantages. I guess I am old enough that death doesn't scare me as much and/or I don't value my life as much as others. You guys are right, I probably would have at least been shot.

Kinda all speculation now isn't it? :hmm:

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Well, I'm an armchair quarterback, and I don't need another armchair quaterback to tell me I wouldn't (I'm sure you will though), but I would've had a run at the guy.

I like to think I would have done this, but courage is a funny thing. There's no predicting who has it and who doesn't, and the man who one day is capable of astounding bravery can, the next day, be as chickenshit as they come, it seems to me.

I'd like to think that under the duress of something like the theater shooting, I could be noble, but the heart of a man is a funny thing, and not always easy to predict.

MeKevin

Reaction score
You can't tell me though, that there is no one in the world that would not have run at the guy. People thwart attacks all the time. The place just didn't have the right personel.

People are different. There was the one guy who abandoned his wife and two kids and ran out. Another stranger stopped, went back and put his own life at risk to help them. I don't blame the first guy and give credit to the second guy. People are different, and I personally don't really believe in free will. I know, from prior experience, that I run at shit without thinking about it. It's like a dream, I've got addrenalin, but I don't get scared. I am not good at talking or playing guitar in front of other people though, that's when I get scared.

Reaction score

I disagree..As more facts about this case comes out the more I believe this guy put serious thought into this(meaning he at the very least spent some serious time getting proficient with his weapon ).This guy most likely stood 5ft from the doorway he entered,and for the 1st 20-30 rounds then starting picking off the log jam of people at the 1-2 dooryways at the opposite end of the theater.My guess is you would have neither been trampled by the stamped,or shot like a dog laying on your stomache.Either way I thank god none of us was there,and pray for the families of the people who were.

MeKevin

Reaction score
I like to think I would have done this, but courage is a funny thing. There's no predicting who has it and who doesn't, and the man who one day is capable of astounding bravery can, the next day, be as chickenshit as they come, it seems to me.

I'd like to think that under the duress of something like the theater shooting, I could be noble, but the heart of a man is a funny thing, and not always easy to predict.

I know man. I guess it might have been pretty smokey in there to. Did you read about that guy Jamie Rohrs that left his family? Like I said, I don't believe in free will, so I don't blame him. I always run at shit though. I am not a war hero or anything, but I run at it. I don't take credit for it though, couldn't change it if I wanted to. My main point though, I am surprised that everyone ran, it is that is to bad that there was not an armed 72 year old there.

MeKevin

Reaction score
I think he threw 2 CS gas canisters in, and then went in and shot 20 rounds at the ceiling. Then after shooting at the crowd, he walked up the aisle.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
I know man. I guess it might have been pretty smokey in there to. Did you read about that guy Jamie Rohrs that left his family? Like I said, I don't believe in free will, so I don't blame him. I always run at shit though. I am not a war hero or anything, but I run at it. I don't take credit for it though, couldn't change it if I wanted to. My main point though, I am surprised that everyone ran, it is that is to bad that there was not an armed 72 year old there.

As part of my training to become a firefighter for the Air Force, we had to do search-and-rescue exercises in the so-called "Smokehouse", with the end-goal of finding two 160-lb training dummies and retrieving them within twelve minutes, in a realistic environment.

The Smokehouse was a building-inside-a-building, about thirty foot on each side, with a ceiling only about four feet from the floor, so that standing was impossible. It had four rooms in it, with doorways placed irregularly on each wall connecting them. Each room had furniture in it, too. We'd practice our rescue sweeps in it -- never take your hand off the wall, fully extend your body so that your feet are in the middle of the room, stick to a right- or left-hand search pattern crawling crab-wise along the floor, and so on.

For our final exams, for time, they would fill the building's air with smoke, and would cover our SCBA masks with black plastic so that we couldn't see anything, and we couldn't remove our masks. And then we would go in and find the dummies and hopefully make time.

I saw three or four guys who were just as brave as anyone I could imagine who simply could not finish that course. It completely panicked them to be under those conditions -- unable to see, unable to stand, and under pressure. These are guys I had fought fire with, guys who were happy going into a room full of burning JP-4 with a wet line.

There's no accounting for bravery in the heart of one man on any given day. The most I'm willing to say is, "I'd like to think I'd act brave, but I'm afraid I might act the coward." I've never been under gunfire before, and I'm not willing to whistle in the dark about being a Hero. Talk is cheap, and rather disrespectful of the dead, it seems to me. How do you know someone didn't give their life in that theater, and saved even more lives in so doing?

MineGoesTo11

Reaction score
What you imagine yourself doing:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTb1UPc1zvo]Matrix Reloaded - Intro Fight Scene - Three Agents - YouTube[/ame]

Your most likely reaction:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW4n4ENUQcM]Guy screams like a girl after scare prank! -Pwned - YouTube[/ame]

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Apparently there's some tough m*****f****rs in this thread.

Personally I have my doubts.

It's easy to say, "I would've..."

It's much different when you're looking at a gun that suddenly looks like a cannon aimed at your face.

Rush a gun, run from a knife,...blah blah blah.

Talk is cheap.

Like people that've never raised their fists and tucked their chin talking about how they would've kicked so and so's ass.

I call bullsh*t.

The head next to you just exploded and you've gut blood, skull, and brains stuck to your face.

You're not rushing sh*t.

You're crawling under your seat, pulling a body over the top of you, and pissing yourself.

Latest Threads