Jimi Hendrix's 1955 Les Paul Custom

Zack

Reaction score
wait... so that les paul larry lee is using at woodstock is jimis lester?... cool:thumb:

Lowdown

Reaction score
Wow!

Thanx so very much for going to the trouble and taking the time to post these superb pics for us all here to see,tone :yesway:

Being a lover of Custom's,this is right up there with the Holy Grail,except you got pics of it! :)
Just get a load of the size of those last 2 MOP inlays. HUGE. I don't remember seeing inlays as large as that. Not even Frampton's '54 were that big...:hmm:

Thanx...

tonebone

Reaction score
I thought of all you guys the second I saw it in the display case. You've made me feel welcome here even though I can't play my way outa a wet paper bag. I had to share my excitement with folks that "understand." :laugh2:

Spekter

Reaction score
Very cool, thanks for posting. Love the checking in the finish. Does it look like the serial number is stamped into the heel as well?

mapleflame

Reaction score
Awesome closeups of that guitar. Just a great piece of History. Thanks for the pics.

horand

Reaction score
I nearly lost my breath watching those pics...

Thanks a lot for posting, Tonebone.

mokume

Reaction score
the Tribbles cracked me up. Back to the guitar, love the checking.

tonebone

Reaction score
I'm gonna post sectional closeups of the same pics, ... that should get around the size limitation in my free photobucket acct.

Gimme a coupla hours ...

BrianM

Reaction score
Its strung right handed, and shows alot of right handed wear.

Whats the story there?

Cool guitar tho! I always wondered what happened to it.

tonebone

Reaction score
Its strung right handed, and shows alot of right handed wear.

Whats the story there?

Cool guitar tho! I always wondered what happened to it.
Guess Larry Lee played it a lot after Hendrix gave it to him? I am curious where Jimi kept it while on the chitlin circuit. I think most of the pics from that time period shows him with strats.

tonebone

Reaction score

Not many pictures of Jimi playing it...

Hendrix Les Paul...what's the story? - Les Paul Forum

I've linked to LPF above, not sure if that's kosher. They hashed out the LPC back in 2002. Apparently this is the same Custom that was in the Chicago Hard Rock.

If the LPF link doesn't show up, it's easy to find that thread with a google search.

The time Les Paul saw Hendrix playing in a small club back in 1965 or 66, Hendrix was playing the Custom. There's quite a story, Les Paul went back to the club and couldn't pin down where Hendrix went. I think he put his son on the trail, but just couldn't find Hendrix again. Les wanted to record him. (it's also covered in the LPF thread, I read it in a Hendrix bio)

There's pics of Hendrix playing a Special, and Becks stripped Burst, also floating around.

VintageGuitarGuy

Reaction score
IIRC there was a quote by Hendrix that said something along the lines of..."i've tried les pauls, jazzmasters, SGs, telecasters, etc., but i've found that the Stratocaster is the best--they've made thousands of them, they must be good."

Here's some pics with Jimi playing a Jazzmaster and possibly a Duo-Sonic??

Jimi + Wilson Pickett

Latest Threads