Jerry Garcia Military Record

jb_abides

Reaction score

Some folks need to walk a different path!

Like oil and water: the man recently passed. Was President of Mass. State Police association.

Gold-bricking Gold!
In another statement in his file, First Sergeant Walter L. Heller has similarly unflattering things to say about Private Garcia: “During the first two weeks of his assignment here, Garcia came to my attention because of his personal uncleanliness and the filthy condition of his personal billeting area in the barracks. I counseled and advised his squad leader and platoon sergeant that improvement was necessary. Shortly thereafter, Garcia was punished under Article 15 of the Code for willful disobedience of an NCO, and this seemed to set off a chain of behavior disorders on the part of Garcia. … In my opinion, Garcia should be eliminated from the service under the service … without delay.”

“I lasted nine months in the Army. I was at Fort Ord for basic training and then they transferred me to the Presidio in San Francisco, Fort Winfield Scott, a beautiful, lovely spot in San Francisco, overlooking the water and the Golden Gate Bridge and all that and these neat old barracks and almost nothing to do. It started me into the acoustic guitar; up until that time I had been mostly into electric guitar, rock & roll and stuff.”

Luckily for his commanding officers, Private Jerome Garcia was given a general discharge on December 14, 1960. Soon after, Garcia met a very important ally: Robert Hunter. As Jerry explains in the 1972 Rolling Stone piece, “That’s the period of time I met (Robert) Hunter. Immediately after I got out of the Army. Hunter, who is like a really good friend of mine all this time, he’d just gotten out of the Army—he had an old car and I had an old car when I got out of the Army, and we were in East Palo Alto sort of coincidentally. There was a coffeehouse, ’cause of Stanford, university town and all that, and we were hanging out at the coffeehouse and ran into each other.”

That encounter blossomed into a friendship, which in turn grew into a collaborative artistic relationship: “We had our two cars in an empty lot in East Palo Alto where they were both broken. Neither of them ran anymore but we were living in them. Hunter had these big tins of crushed pineapple that he’d gotten from the Army, like five or six big tins, and I had this glove compartment full of plastic spoons, and we had this little cooperative scene eating this crushed pineapple day after day and sleeping in the cars and walking around. He played a little guitar, we started singin’ and playin’ together just for something to do. And then we played our first professional gig. We got five bucks apiece.”

:acoustic:

jb_abides

Reaction score

Got any tissues, sir?

Apparently Jimi got a song out of the experience!

Feeling, sweet feeling
Drops from my fingers, fingers
Manic depression has a-captured my soul

Music sweet music
I wish I could caress, caress, caress
Manic depression is a frustrating mess

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Broke, homeless, incomplete formal education, living in a non-functioning automobile...and going on to be one of the most famous and richest contemporary musicians of the second half of the 20th century?

F*ck me. That is awesome! ONLY IN AMERICA.

Here are a few more:

Steve Jobs
Dr. Phil
Kelly Clarkson
Chris Pratt
James Cameron
Jennifer Lopez
Shania Twain
Halle Berry
Steve Harvey
Jim Carey
Me

Last edited:

jb_abides

Reaction score
Broke, homeless, incomplete formal education, living in a non-functioning automobile...and going on to be one of the most famous and rich contemporary musicians of the second half of the 20th century?

F*ck me. That is awesome! ONLY IN AMERICA.

Here are a few more:

Just goes to show... attitude (and, er, altitude) is everything!

sonar1

Reaction score
Some people aren't cut out for, you know, rules and stuff.
Like some officers I observed.

Not everybody is psychologically equipped to withstand military life.
Some try to circumvent aspects they don’t like, or even bend them to their will.
Others bluntly confront the higher ups.

As an enlisted man, there are few other choices than obedience, or many many push-ups...

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have to wonder... I was no Audy Murphy, John Wayne or Steve Rogers, but I had no problems. You just do as told. You make a mistake, you own it fix it and move on. You show some competence and willingness to learn, you move up the ranks. How damn hard is that?

Latest Threads