Jerry Garcia’s Pretzel Guitar Returns!

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd like to hear those pups clean. Maybe like a P90?

mtgguitar

Reaction score
I recognize that bridge....made by a san fransisco co....maybe alembic?
From the OP article: " ... nicknamed “Pretzel” due to its pretzel-like body shape, that was one of the first built instruments by Alembic’s Rick Turner."

Last edited:

smk506

Reaction score
I recognize that bridge....made by a san fransisco co....maybe alembic?
Thee was a company there (SF) named Star Guitars, or some such?

I bought a late 60’s sg once with one on it, while we were negotiating price the seller made a stupid good deal for me, provided he keep the bridge. Like he knocked about $300 off without it.

I’ve heard of them since, but not much.

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
A little trivia about Wolf:

While Garcia was in contact with the luthiers of Alembic Guitars, he came upon an instrument built by Doug Irwin and bought it on the spot. Eventually, he contacted Irwin and asked him to create a custom guitar for his own use. That was the inception of Wolf, which Garcia first played with Merl Saunders at a private party for the Hell’s Angels on September 5th, 1973. The guitar actually originally contained a peacock logo, followed by Irwin’s eagle logo, but it was Garcia that placed the blood-thirsty wolf sticker on his guitar. Irwin eventually incorporated the Wolf into the design, thus giving the instrument its name.

six-string

Reaction score
sure.
the folklore version comes from The Tibetan Book of the Dead but there are other sources with similar tales.
The most common story involves a traveler who encounters a corpse of someone who never received a proper burial, typically stemming from an unpaid debt. The traveler then either pays off the dead person's debt or pays for burial. The traveler is later rewarded or has their life saved by a person or animal who is actually the soul of the dead person; the grateful dead is a form of the donor. The grateful dead spirit may take many different physical forms including that of a guardian angel, animal, or fellow traveler. The traveler's encounter with the deceased comes near the end of the traveler's journey.

Latest Threads