Jerry Cantrel Wino Les Paul Custom

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I think the Epiphone Jerry Cantrel Wino Les Paul Custom is one of the best Guitars that Epiphone has put out this year. Last year it was the JB 59 Les Paul Standard Lazarus and the year before that it was the JB BB Les Paul Custom. The neck profile on the JC Wino Les Paul Custom is just perfect, so easy and smooth to play on and move around the fretboard. I am glad it is an Ebony fretboard, but the new Indian Laurel fretboards that Epiphone has moved to, is just as smooth and easy to play on.

I love the Wine Red top on this guitar, you can see the nice wood grain beneath the glossy finish with some nice mineral streaks which sets off this guitar nicely.

epijclpcustom7.jpg

epijclpcustom10.jpg

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice, they are superb looking guitars for the money.

Pancreas

Reaction score
I think the Epiphone Jerry Cantrel Wino Les Paul Custom is one of the best Guitars that Epiphone has put out this year. Last year it was the JB 59 Les Paul Standard Lazarus and the year before that it was the JB BB Les Paul Custom. The neck profile on the JC Wino Les Paul Custom is just perfect, so easy and smooth to play on and move around the fretboard. I am glad it is an Ebony fretboard, but the new Indian Laurel fretboards that Epiphone has moved to, is just as smooth and easy to play on.

I love the Wine Red top on this guitar, you can see the nice wood grain beneath the glossy finish with some nice mineral streaks which sets off this guitar nicely.

View attachment 637800
View attachment 637801
Man, where did you get it? I've been on a waiting list for weeks now....
Very nice man!

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Man, where did you get it? I've been on a waiting list for weeks now....
Very nice man!
Thanks, and yes to the comment above. I had placed an order from Sweetwater once I heard these were coming out and was getting it Plek'd with the purchase. But... Sweetwater did not get any of the Wino Les Paul Customs on the release day, or even a day or a week later. They got the Bone White JC Prophecy's at Sweetwater, but not the Wino Les Paul's. I did not want to miss out on getting this guitar, so I ordered one directly from Epiphones Online Store Website. Once I received it with express shipping 2 days later, I canceled my order from Sweetwater. It took Sweetwater a few weeks to get them in and after filling the first orders as well as back orders, they never really showed up as in stock from the Sweetwater website. You would just see More On Order from the Sweetwater website and wait in line with everyone else that wanted one as they got more in. The Epiphone Online Store had these In Stock and sold them for weeks early on until they finally ran out after 4 weeks or so.

I think a lot of people were waiting to see what peoples first thoughts were with this guitar, which were all great reviews, except for one. Some guy did a video that stated we were all lying pieces of sh?? about the quality of the guitar, and that Jerry should be ashamed of himself for putting his name on this guitar from Epiphone. Needless to say, after him putting out a second video and explaining why he talked about them being made at a Chibson factory and Epiphone is building crap now that they moved their production to China, blah blah blah... he did take his videos down under embarrassment more or less for all the bad hype he got. The one he had gotten, I guess he was expecting more for his $900 dollars like possibly to match the Gibson one that was $9000. Haha

I think this is one of Epiphones best guitars and also think they are building great stuff with the Inspired by Gibson and signature models that are coming out now.

Last edited:

Pancreas

Reaction score
Thanks, and yes to the comment above. I had placed an order from Sweetwater once I heard these were coming out and was getting it Plek'd with the purchase. But... Sweetwater did not get any of the Wino Les Paul Customs on the release day, or even a day or a week later. They got the Bone White JC Prophecy's at Sweetwater, but not the Wino Les Paul's. I did not want to miss out on getting this guitar, so I ordered one directly from Epiphones Online Store Website. Once I received it with express shipping 2 days later, I canceled my order from Sweetwater. It took Sweetwater a few weeks to get them in and after filling the first orders as well as back orders, they never really showed up as in stock from the Sweetwater website. You would just see More On Order from the Sweetwater website and wait in line with everyone else that wanted one as they got more in. The Epiphone Online Store had these In Stock and sold them for weeks early on until they finally ran out after 4 weeks or so.

I think a lot of people were waiting to see what peoples first thoughts were with this guitar, which were all great reviews, except for one. Some guy did a video that stated we were all lying pieces of sh?? about the quality of the guitar, and that Jerry should be ashamed of himself for putting his name on this guitar from Epiphone. Needless to say, after him putting out a second video and explaining why he talked about them being made at a Chibson factory and Epiphone is building crap now that they moved their production to China, blah blah blah... he did take his videos down under embarrassment more or less for all the bad hype he got. The one he had gotten, I guess he was expecting more for his $900 dollars like possibly to match the Gibson one that was $9000. Haha

I think this is one of Epiphones best guitars and also think they are building great stuff with the Inspired by Gibson and signature models that are coming out now.
Nice work, there's always gonna be "that guy" who will talk sh×t about new gear. Especially Epiphone it seems. I ended up buying a new White LP Custom, as GAS got the best of me. BUT, Whenever the Wino is back in stock, I'm sure I'll get one. I'm very curious about that bridge pickup....

Pancreas

Reaction score
Personally speaking, I've owned 4 of the new Inspired be Gibson line, and the only disappointing guitar I've received was the Slash gold-top. (returned it) I now own a new Epi LP Custom and a new Epi LP '59 in Southern Fade. I expected the '59 to be great (which it is), but the Custom really surprised me. I've switched out all of the plastics on it, and it's now becoming my favorite guitar of the lot.

lats667

Reaction score
Well, I returned mine because of a small flaw, but it had less flaws than the Gibson cs custom I ordered (and returned) lol. It was a very nice guitar, but I'd upgrade the pickups if I were to keep it. I will probably order a epi silverburst when those arrive :)

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Nice work, there's always gonna be "that guy" who will talk sh×t about new gear. Especially Epiphone it seems. I ended up buying a new White LP Custom, as GAS got the best of me. BUT, Whenever the Wino is back in stock, I'm sure I'll get one. I'm very curious about that bridge pickup....
I did swap out the neck pickup for a SD 59, because I wanted this guitar to sound as best as possible and the 98T Pro in the bridge is pretty sweet. The 98T Pro sounds very close to the Gibson 498T, but not as bright, which is a good thing IMO.

Well, I returned mine because of a small flaw, but it had less flaws than the Gibson cs custom I ordered (and returned) lol. It was a very nice guitar, but I'd upgrade the pickups if I were to keep it. I will probably order a epi silverburst when those arrive :)
As I stated above, I did replace the neck pickup for a SD 59 and could replace the bridge pickup with a JB if I wanted to improve the tone a little bit more. But... for a 2-3% increase in tone, I am thinking it is not worth it since the 98T Pro is a great pickup. Adjust the pickup height to find the sweet spot for your playing style and call it a day. I could have just left the Alnico Classic Pro in the neck and been fine with it, the SD 59 did not improve it that drastically to really warrant the replacement. I was expecting a bit more from the SD 59, but maybe it's just me, or maybe I do need to put a JB in the bridge since a JB/59 combo is really sweet together.

Pancreas

Reaction score
The Silverbursts have been available for a few months now. Guitar Center and Musicians Friend carries them.

Pancreas

Reaction score
I did swap out the neck pickup for a SD 59, because I wanted this guitar to sound as best as possible and the 98T Pro in the bridge is pretty sweet. The 98T Pro sounds very close to the Gibson 498T, but not as bright, which is a good thing IMO.

As I stated above, I did replace the neck pickup for a SD 59 and could replace the bridge pickup with a JB if I wanted to improve the tone a little bit more. But... for a 2-3% increase in tone, I am thinking it is not worth it since the 98T Pro is a great pickup. Adjust the pickup height to find the sweet spot for your playing style and call it a day. I could have just left the Alnico Classic Pro in the neck and been fine with it, the SD 59 did not improve it that drastically to really warrant the replacement. I was expecting a bit more from the SD 59, but maybe it's just me, or maybe I do need to put a JB in the bridge since a JB/59 combo is really sweet together.
I wasn't a fan of the JB I installed in my older Epi, TBH. Too harsh for my liking. I've heard that the new 98T is a great pickup though.

Pancreas

Reaction score
Ahhhhh, yes. That's the one I've been waiting for too. I'm starting to wonder if it'll ever arrive

Latest Threads