Jeff Beck Truth/Beck-Ola

ezra1

Reaction score
I have seen photos of Jeff from 1969 playing live with the JBG. He was using a Supa Fuzz.
Does anyone know what ToneBender he used on each of these albums ?
And if you were to try to replicate the recordings , what would you do ?

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Use a Supa Fuzz.

If we are being real here, a SupaFuzz IS a Tonebender MK II for all intents and purposes. The move to 10 uf caps was balanced by also removing the cap on the input to ground.

Here is some subpar riffing from me:

This is a Tonebender MK II with the input cap to ground removed and 10 uf input and emitter cap.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good job on I Ain't Superstitious.
Thank you. I'm no technician but I had a specific sound in mind and that's half the battle.

Frankly, an amp that is really cooking, plus a Clyde style Wah and a SupaFuzz of the Marshall variety (not the SolaSound Marshalls) will get you like 90% of the way there for both albums.

ezra1

Reaction score
I have Super Electric Mk l and a MJM Britbender Mk ll both in the refrigerator chilling.
Were you cranking the fuzz control on the effect and then working the guitar volume to find the sweet spots ?

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have Super Electric Mk l and a MJM Britbender Mk ll both in the refrigerator chilling.
Were you cranking the fuzz control on the effect and then working the guitar volume to find the sweet spots ?
I could wax intellectual on this subject until the wee hours but i'll try to be brief...

I use General Electric NPN units. Very low leakage so collector voltage creep is not a concern with respect to temperature. I build all my TB MKII/Supa pedals with a "Pre-Gain" knob: Basically the same control you see on Fuzz Faces like the Gagan "Easy Face". I set the "Attack between 2:00 and full blast depending on what I'm after and then back off the "Pre-Gain" to taste.

I then work the guitar controls to get the require dirt.

ezra1

Reaction score
I have a Honey Beest OD with a pre-gain and that is a brilliant idea.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you listen to the bonus tracks from the Truth reissue you get a better feel for his raw guitar sound. In my opinion, the MK II family (MK II, Supa) have a mich more refined fuzz tone. They will do fuzz freak out when maxed out but they really excel at fuzzy overdrive and feedback tones.

ezra1

Reaction score
Great to hear these Beck tones.
I listen to the first two JBG albums and Zeppelin l and ll together.
Kind of first cousins together.

pillbug

Reaction score
I believe the Soul Bender and Super Bender are within this ballpark.

Les Paulverizer

Reaction score
This little Boss thing, which a lot of folks look down on ( I mean, why????) gets me incredibly close to "Jeff Beck Group/Led Zeppelin 1" tones.
I have to play all sorts of things but my personal taste lives & breathes mid 60s/early 70s British Rock however I've never really been into Fuzz, I've always much preferred Overdrives or even some Distortion boxes, nevertheless when someone, a well respected and super busy session player, tipped me to the Boss FZ-5 I gave it a try and I was blown away. I took it with me to a session where the guy who runs the studio owns, among other Holy Grails, an original early 60s Tone Bender and a Maestro Fuzz and he was also blown away.
It's Boss, it's digital(!), it's pretty cheap, and it's incredible.
Cork sniffers can keep sniffing until the cows come home take a nap and go out again, but anyone who is serious and has his gear paying the bills agrees that Tone is 99% in the fingers, and if I plug a great Les Paul into an "on the edge of break up" cranked Marshall with this Boss FZ-5 in between, if I think "Truth" the tone that comes out is astonishingly Truth-ful and I end up being on the same...Page(!) with those cats.
IMG_0645.jpeg

moreles

Reaction score
Cork sniffers can keep sniffing until the cows come home take a nap and go out again, but anyone who is serious and has his gear paying the bills agrees
There are no cork sniffers -- I never, ever encounter these imaginary gear snobs that defensive people imagine are somehow looking down on them -- and nobody who plays guitar, let alone a pro, would say that tone is "99%" "in the fingers" because it simply is not, unless you're just talking sloppily and are including note choice, phrasing, timing, etc. as "tone," which they're not. I find it hilarious that people get so wound up about particular pedals supposedly "nailing" a sound that they've only ever heard through recordings reproduced through god knows what amping and speakers. Those of us who heard Beck live in the day, or SRV, or Hendrix, or all the others that some of us were privileged to hear again and again know that live sound and recorded sound are light years apart and all these conversations about what "sounds like" what are nonsense. There are a zillion easy ways to replicate any of these recorded sounds. It's easy to do because they're just recordings. And that Boss Fuzz is a great pedal and I have no idea who supposedly tells you otherwise.

AcVox

Reaction score
This little Boss thing, which a lot of folks look down on (I mean, why????"
[/QUOTE]

I'm holding my hand up to this one. Guilty as charged m'lud.. I plead no contest to the charge of fuzz pedal snobbery.. Until very recently I wouldn't have looked twice at a fuzz pedal by Boss, only vintage pieces or accurate often expensive recreations would be considered.

The point is that it's never too late to learn, and I'm trying to do just that.
To a session player time is precious. There is no time to be fiddling with vintage temperamental pedals, and when a session player tels me to look at a certain pedal, I take notice.

If they are not playing something that catches the ear of the producer or artist within ten minutes or so you could be out the door. A practical, pragmatic approach is essential. I'm still a pedal snob, but I'm working on it..

Last edited:

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no time to be fiddling with vintage temperamental pedals....
I'm actually interested in how many people put up with temperature based voltage drift because the pedals "look the part". I have a stash of mid 60s NPN General Electric Germaniums. They are low leakage and don't drift with temperature. I prefer them because they have the vintage tone without having to worry about excessive gating.

I just sold a set of 7 OC75s because I love these General Electric units so much.

Sometimes I wonder if tradition and expectations about vintage style fuzzes keep people from tweaking them for better and more modern performance.

Les Paulverizer

Reaction score
This little Boss thing, which a lot of folks look down on (I mean, why????"
I'm holding my hand up to this one. Guilty as charged m'lud.. I plead no contest to the charge of fuzz pedal snobbery.. Until very recently I wouldn't have looked twice at a fuzz pedal by Boss, only vintage pieces or accurate often expensive recreations would be considered.

The point is that it's never too late to learn, and I'm trying to do just that.
To a session player time is precious. There is no time to be fiddling with vintage temperamental pedals, and when a session player tels me to look at a certain pedal, I take notice.

If they are not playing something that catches the ear of the producer or artist within ten minutes or so you could be out the door. A practical, pragmatic approach is essential. I'm still a pedal snob, but I'm working on it..
[/QUOTE]

That's exactly it, you hit the nail on the head. Studio time is expensive and one needs to nail the part (i.e. the right notes, right delivery and the right tone) asap as someone is paying for it(!), and this producer loved the sound of the FZ-5 after I played a lick of maybe 8, 10 notes; at first he told me that I could borrow his 60s Tone Bender as he actually had it somewhere in the studio, but after I played that lick he was more than happy and at the end he actually had a good look at my Boss. He might have gone out and bought one....! ;)
Don't get me wrong, vintage gear and tones are my main references, but as Frank Zappa the Great once said "the mind is like a parachute, it only works if it's open". Frank had a point or three there, as usual...

AcVox

Reaction score
There's something about session work isn't there? It's thrilling in a way no other guitar work is imho.

Apart from the FZ-5, I'm aware that Boss have recently put out their version of the Tone Bender MK II Professional, very interesting and a pedal I'm keen to check out.
Anyone have one of these yet ?

bridger

Reaction score
Use a Supa Fuzz.

If we are being real here, a SupaFuzz IS a Tonebender MK II for all intents and purposes. The move to 10 uf caps was balanced by also removing the cap on the input to ground.

Here is some subpar riffing from me:

This is a Tonebender MK II with the input cap to ground removed and 10 uf input and emitter cap.
noisy mess

Latest Threads