Jeff beck tone with lp?

Jendrix

Reaction score
Hey guys, i'm a big fan of jeff's. So i'm getting a les paul soon, either the 57bb 3 pu (mahogany top) or r9 (maple cap).

Based on tone alone, leaving out skills. Do you think the BB with it's mahogany top will be able to capture that jeff beck tone? I know jeff currently plays strats but eh.

The bb comes with bigsby and if i'm geting the r9, i'll probably install one later one to get that jeff vibrato effect.:thumb:

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Copping JB on a Paul, spend a lot of time in the middle position, and use your volume knobs to modify your tone. Don't turn them up all the way; I've found for me that more headroom works better. Work your pots.

R8R6Ben

Reaction score
Prescripton Electronics makes a killer pedal called the Yardbox, that if you can find it can cop a lot of the tones. I'd go for the R9 since his LP tones from the first few JB Group discs was the heavily modded '54. I would love to find a nice used '54 oxblood ri, not the hugely priced sig model.

Etosser

Reaction score
Gotta remember that Jeff's gear was pretty much the standard issue Vox/Marshall + Sola/Colorsound for a good bit of the LP years. No real secrets, just turn it up and let the pots do the work as needed. He has said on a couple of occasions that he runs his amps quite bright and brings the tone and volume down to taste.

Jendrix

Reaction score
MMmm yeah with all that equipment i'm sure you'll get the jeff tone, but would the "Darker tone" of the BB be any issue when playing jeff's songs?

Like "since we've ended as lovers"?

Etosser

Reaction score
I thought that CWEAL was the Tele-Gib. I might be wrong, however.

Drew224

"Obvious BS Artist"
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah. You can do it on any guitar. In fact, Joe Bonnamassa can get some similar tones out of an LP.

GuitarMechanic

Reaction score
Here's some JB tone with a Les Paul (kinda Les Paul toney awesome)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAUAAn46ji0]YouTube - Jeff Beck Honors Les Paul | How High the Moon | PBS[/ame]

Sterling # Sound

Reaction score
Hey guys, i'm a big fan of jeff's. So i'm getting a les paul soon, either the 57bb 3 pu (mahogany top) or r9 (maple cap).

Based on tone alone, leaving out skills. Do you think the BB with it's mahogany top will be able to capture that jeff beck tone? I know jeff currently plays strats but eh.

The bb comes with bigsby and if i'm geting the r9, i'll probably install one later one to get that jeff vibrato effect.:thumb:
I'm a bit of a J.Beck fan myself :D. You did not mention which period or album style you liked most and are looking to emulate. The Yardbirds (Esquire)/Truth ('59 Les Paul)/BBA ('54 Oxblood)/BBB (Tele-Gib + strat)/Wired (Strat) have very different sounds, not to mention the later industrial/dance stuff.

I agree with the comment that any guitar will sound like Jeff Beck when he plays it. Some people heard him at a tradeshow and thought he was playing through a vintage rig, but it turned out to be a Squire and a Pignose! :laugh2:.

Seriously though, make sure you have no bass on the amp, some nice amp compression by turning it up (nothing over the top for the early stuff), and most of all great pickups and controls. If you can control the tone and volume well you're mostly there. For pedals, if you need 'em, I really like clean boosts, treble boosters and a Colorsound Overdriver.

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a big JB fan as well. It's all about the amp, his fingers, the tone pots (as Sterling # Sound points out) and the pups. He uses "Noiseless" pups, so as a result, it's not a "traditional" sound of a Strat.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wg-9WrMxf8[/ame]

Here's another way (just arrow over to the JB clip):

http://www.fender.com/products/gdec3/video.php

Midnight Blues

1972 LP Custom (1954 Black Beauty "Fretless Wonder" LE)
1976 LP Deluxe
2011 Peter Frampton Les Paul (PF 654)
2008 Alex Lifeson Inspired By ES-355 (AL 028)
2001 Fender American Stratocaster
Washburn D10S Acoustic
Dean Markley Strings (Reg. 10-46 gauge)
Marshall MG50DFX
Marshall MG15
Marshall MS-2
Vox V848 "Clyde McCoy" Wah Wah
Fulltone "Soul Bender"
Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone PlimSoul
Morley Volume Pedal