Jeff Beck Pickups

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
fwiw - as I builder, I do have sets for Page and Green, specifically, because they did not have standard pickups (Page with his hot PAF neck and T-top bridge, and Greeny with his rewound neck pickup). I don't really have sets specific to many other artists because it gets redundant. For example, Clapton's SG and 335 in Cream are both 1964 Patent Number Decal humbuckers, and that nails that sound. ....but Eric Johnson's 1964 SG and every other humbucker Gibson made in that period has the same pickups, so who's name would go on there? Someone looking for Mark Knopfler's sound can get the same recommendation as someone looking for Gary Rossington. Paul Kossoff (dark burst) and Mike Bloomfield get the same pickup recommendation. What would a "Hendrix" Strat set even set be? He played so many Strats. Well, Strats were fairly consistent in the late 60's, compared to Gibson in the late 50's, so that's at least more narrow, but how many other artists are known for playing 60's Strats? Trying to put one artist's names on pickups that are common designs to many known players' guitars gets complicated. I don't want to offer the same pickup set under a dozen different names.

If I knew more about the guitar / pickups Jeff Beck used on those recordings (someone above said "a Burst" but that's, unfortunately, not terribly specific, when it comes to PAFs), I could make a recommendation, but I bet it would be a set I already make and not need alteration, as I have a lineup that covers the primary voicings and then some, already. I couldn't say, though. Beck's very unique playing style obscures my ears from defining much about the pickups, even through known rigs. I'd think warmer pickups, but maybe that's just his thumb playing.

That could be why some manufacturers are referring people back to stock sets and why there aren't many Beck-specific options. On the other hand, some builders will slap an artist name on a pickup that's nothing like that which the artist used, just to sell it. Let's say Gibson, for example, where every artist signature guitar got stock pickups with A3 magnets for a long time, as completely inappropriate as that was for those artist's sounds.

Last edited:

mdubya

Reaction score
James, I wouldn't blame you one bit if you got stickers made up to slap on your standard sets.

You could even charge a premium for artist inspired sets. EJ, EC, JB, JH, EVH, etc.

People would rave about how you nailed it!

jbash

Reaction score
Well, FWIW- Seymour has said that the Duncan 59 set is based on Jeff's 59 Burst that Seymour got ahold of wayyyyyy back when.

I think out the package these days, no. Too many changes in metals/magnets over the years since Seymour started making 59s, and today's 59s. Modern 59s, especially with 50s style wiring are extremely strident in the bass and treble frequencies. Modern wiring helps smooth them out a bit. The old ones were sweeter- I used them for a lot of years. Swapping magnets to UOA5 helps the new 59s drastically. I have had a set in one of my Les Pauls with UOA5 in both slots for the past few months and yeah, it's got that late 60s Beck thing going on ala Bolero. I just swapped them out to A2 bridge and standard RC A5 for a change of pace. Verdict is still out.

AJK1

Reaction score
fwiw - as I builder, I do have sets for Page and Green, specifically, because they did not have standard pickups (Page with his hot PAF neck and T-top bridge, and Greeny with his rewound neck pickup). I don't really have sets specific to many other artists because it gets redundant. For example, Clapton's SG and 335 in Cream are both 1964 Patent Number Decal humbuckers, and that nails that sound. ....but Eric Johnson's 1964 SG and every other humbucker Gibson made in that period has the same pickups, so who's name would go on there? Someone looking for Mark Knopfler's sound can get the same recommendation as someone looking for Gary Rossington. Paul Kossoff (dark burst) and Mike Bloomfield get the same pickup recommendation. What would a "Hendrix" Strat set even set be? He played so many Strats. Well, Strats were fairly consistent in the late 60's, compared to Gibson in the late 50's, so that's at least more narrow, but how many other artists are known for playing 60's Strats? Trying to put one artist's names on pickups that are common designs to many known players' guitars gets complicated. I don't want to offer the same pickup set under a dozen different names.

If I knew more about the guitar / pickups Jeff Beck used on those recordings (someone above said "a Burst" but that's, unfortunately, not terribly specific, when it comes to PAFs), I could make a recommendation, but I bet it would be a set I already make and not need alteration, as I have a lineup that covers the primary voicings and then some, already. I couldn't say, though. Beck's very unique playing style obscures my ears from defining much about the pickups, even through known rigs. I'd think warmer pickups, but maybe that's just his thumb playing.

That could be why some manufacturers are referring people back to stock sets and why there aren't many Beck-specific options. On the other hand, some builders will slap an artist name on a pickup that's nothing like that which the artist used, just to sell it. Let's say Gibson, for example, where every artist signature guitar got stock pickups with A3 magnets for a long time, as completely inappropriate as that was for those artist's sounds.
Well said

Latest Threads