Jeff Beck Pickups

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
PAF's, Tone Bender, Rickenbacker Transonic (solid state!).

Good luck.

:jb:
I love Rumble Seat but with all that awesome expensive gear and Joe B there, you'd think they'd make a decent recording.

That camera mic is buzzing and distorted as all get out. Not just here and there but over the whole thing and totally distracting.

Trying hard to block it out, though, the sound and playing is fantastic, of course.

mdubya

Reaction score
PAFs and a Silver Jubilee (solid state clipping) and a Tube Screamer?

Zoobiedood

Reaction score
I called the Custom Shop last year to see if they could do a Kossoff set and they told me to just buy products from their production line
This would be a different question, though. And Seymour has worked directly with Jeff around that time. I am sure they have notes about his pickups.

King Minimoose

Reaction score
I called the Custom Shop last year to see if they could do a Kossoff set and they told me to just buy products from their production line
The Suhr Custom shop said the same thing to my Dad when he called them to make him some double-stack pickups like he made for Jeff in the 90s.

Unless you have the coin and an interesting project, the Custom Shop will not care

ezra1

Reaction score
We got winders doing Page and Cream era Clapton.
Truth/ Beck-Ola would be so cool.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is there any definitive on what guitar/pickups were used for the recordings? Any photos of the sessions to give some solid evidence of it?

Maybe there is and I'm just not familiar with it. I love Jeff Beck, and have seen him several times (absolutely epic!), but never got into the chase of what gear he used when, all the way back.

King Minimoose

Reaction score
Is there any definitive on what guitar/pickups were used for the recordings? Any photos of the sessions to give some solid evidence of it?

Maybe there is and I'm just not familiar with it. I love Jeff Beck, and have seen him several times (absolutely epic!), but never got into the chase of what gear he used when, all the way back.
There is a lot of information in the Jeff Beck biography Hot Wired. That's where I got a lot of my information about him; good read regardless. I've been too busy student teaching to research any further than it was a burst into a 50w plexi.

AJK1

Reaction score
The Suhr Custom shop said the same thing to my Dad when he called them to make him some double-stack pickups like he made for Jeff in the 90s.

Unless you have the coin and an interesting project, the Custom Shop will not care
Boo hoo

AJK1

Reaction score
Se
Seriously, what do you think would be different in the build/wind of a Kossoff set that you couldn’t get with any number of PAF replicas that are out there these days

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
Just for fun:

John Suhr:
"Hopefully I don't have to repeat this too often!
I made the original Beck pickups before Bill Turner was at Fender when I worked there as a Master Builder.
It was a dare from J Black who was re-working Beck's 3 main guitars and was having some feedback issues with them. So J asks if I could make something and I said I would give it a go!

They are stacks and are very tall (under the pickguard), definitely flat pole pieces flush with the cover or close to that. 100% handmade pickups, bobbins and all and the used stock covers. They are dark sounding and warm which really worked for the gain and brilliance of the amps he was using making a brittle overdrive sound fat and smooth.

Bill Turner then came on board and Bill Lawrence shortly after was doing some more work for Fender. Then I left. After the Fender Noiseless series was created Beck wanted something more like the prototype sets I built for him and Bill Turner used the existing new noiseless bobbins to come come up with something hotter as a Jeff(Beck)model pickup, at that point I had one foot out the door.

I had assumed Beck had switched to those but later found out that Beck was still using 2 of the original sets for special occasions loaded into a pick guards he used for special shows and recording.

There was also confusion on my name and weather or not I had passed away LOL! Maybe the Beck camp wrongly assumed that when Fender said "He is no longer with us" that it meant I was dead. Or.... "He is dead to us" .... who knows, but Beck now has been informed that I am still very much alive and my name is John Suhr, previously have been called Bill Suhr.

I might make some pickups like the original Beck sets but the guitar would need deeper cavities if I were to do it exactly the same, so it wouldn't be easy to market.
This pickups have a unique character and even though stratty they are pretty far away from an authentic single coil tone."

NotScott

Reaction score
As much as I love Beck, I never found any of his tones to die for. For me, it is always about how he plays much more than what he plays.

mdubya

Reaction score
I still say, if you don't have a 50 watt Plexi or a Rickenbacker Transonic and a Tone Bender and a Les Paul, pickups arent going to get you there. And if you can't get there with standard PAF style pickups....

King Minimoose

Reaction score
Se

Seriously, what do you think would be different in the build/wind of a Kossoff set that you couldn’t get with any number of PAF replicas that are out there these days
Ah I see that COVID-19 has brought out the trolls... something which are hard to find on this forum, which is one of the reasons why I like it here. If you want to be like that, I can show you the way to the Gear Page, but you undoubtedly know how to get there. (I apologize mods, in advance)

Various winders offer pickups that are voiced to what they think famous players sounded like, I being the broke college student, who was wading into the pickup market for the first time, thought it would be beneficial to contact a company I had actually heard about before going with some random dude off the internet. I just wanted to see what they would say, and I even asked about getting some of their stock pickups but just double black bobbins since they were going in my Oxblood, but also told me to just go find a SD dealer. I am not the only one who goes looking for pickups that are inspired by their heroes.

Now, I posed this question here because I frankly find it ridiculous that winders build sets inspired by many of the guitar greats but not the greatest guitar player of all time; a sentiment shared by many of the aforementioned greats. Even Jimi Hendrix was trying to figure out what Jeff was doing and being unsuccessful. Jeff is one who is often overlooked by most guitarists, something that he is fine with, but for those of us who are in the know might want the stuff that will help us possibly achieve his tone.

I did find that Cream T makes a set of Beck pickups for strats which are supposedly based off a set that the owner made for Jeff. JB Bolero Set

I am working on getting the Tone Bender since I actually found someone that makes a replica of the Mk. 1.

Latest Threads