Jeff Beck Pickups

King Minimoose

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was driving around the other day and realized that there are no pickup makers that make a Jeff Beck set (please do not say "Well the Duncan JB stands for..."). The dude is one of if not the most influential guitarists ever yet nothing. I know that he has a style and tone that no mortal will ever be able to replicate, but why hasn't someone tried? The tone he was getting in the early Jeff Beck Group days is amazing and I think people would like to possibly achieve that tone. I just wanted to voice my incoherent ramblings to people who might understand/agree with what I'm saying. That is all.

PS if someone does start making a Truth era inspired humbucker set, I want my cut :rofl:

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Oxblood? Either Patent Number Decals Pre-T's or Patent Number Decal T-Tops.

I think lots of us make both of those sets. Originals are still somewhat obtainable, as well.

King Minimoose

Reaction score
The Oxblood? Either Patent Number Decals Pre-T's or Patent Number Decal T-Tops.

I think lots of us make both of those sets. Originals are still somewhat obtainable, as well.
No, earlier than that when Jeff was playing bursts, though I believe that the oxblood had PAFs. Like Truth and Beckola era JB

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
I believe that the oxblood had PAFs.
It's possible but I think that guitar was routed for humbuckers in the early 70's so it could be Patent Number Decal Pre-T's, Patent Number Decal T-Tops or possibly PAFs. If the pickups were ordered from Gibson for the project, they would have been whatever was current but I don't know the details of that situation.

jlee

Reaction score
It is a head scratcher. I love the Truth album. Also love Beck’s tones on Roger The Engineer. Pretty sure his burst with the black pick guard was responsible for most of the tones.

King Minimoose

Reaction score
It is a head scratcher. I love the Truth album. Also love Beck’s tones on Roger The Engineer. Pretty sure his burst with the black pick guard was responsible for most of the tones.
That's the one that had the pickups and pots removed, correct?

Zoobiedood

Reaction score
I would think that if Jeff was involved, it would have nothing to do with his past. It would be a single coil. But he is the guitarist that I think of that equipment matters least in the sound he gets.

jlee

Reaction score
That's the one that had the pickups and pots removed, correct?
Not sure what was done with the guitar after his Yardbirds days. I think he had a few bursts during those few years between The Yardbirds and his first couple solo albums.

jlee

Reaction score
I would think that if Jeff was involved, it would have nothing to do with his past. It would be a single coil. But he is the guitarist that I think of that equipment matters least in the sound he gets.
Jeff, undoubtedly is always moving forward with his music and equipment. A lot of us though, who frequent these forums, are chasing our hero’s tones from the 60s and 70s.

King Minimoose

Reaction score
Jeff's number 1 one strat up until recently had double stacked single coils designed by John Suhr. I'd argue that Jeff quite enjoys the tone of humbuckers, he just can be so versatile with a les paul

Zoobiedood

Reaction score
Jeff, undoubtedly is always moving forward with his music and equipment. A lot of us though, who frequent these forums, are chasing our hero’s tones from the 60s and 70s.
Exactly. I don't think any artist like Jeff would be interested in re-creating his past.

King Minimoose

Reaction score
Exactly. I don't think any artist like Jeff would be interested in re-creating his past.
But I'm not talking about having Jeff involved. Most pickup makers have artist inspired pickup sets which are not officially licensed. Why don't these said pickup makers make a Truth-era inspired set? Which is the original question.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do you know which Burst sound you are after?

When I look at photos of Jeff Beck in 1968 and 1969 (around when Truth was recorded), I mostly see photos of him with a Burst having a double black bridge pickup and a zebra neck pickup.

I also see him with the Yardbirds Les Paul, around that time. The one with double whites that had a black pick guard.

...and a Tele.

I don't know what was played on any given songs on the actual Truth album. Just because he played those guitars live around that time doesn't mean something else didn't make the album. If you know which guitar you are after, I can try to find videos of him playing it and use my database of PAF data from the same era combined with my ears to come up with a pretty good approximation. If it's one of the zebra / double white PAF guitars, that really narrows down the possibilities.

I'm definitely a huge Jeff Beck fan, I've been blessed to have seen him live several times and they are some of the best live music experiences I've ever had. My favorites are more Blow By Blow and Live at Ronnie Scott's. Not much of a Rod Stewart fan, being entirely honest. lol In any case, I'd certainly welcome the project, having some real personal love for the guy's music.

King Minimoose

Reaction score
Do you know which Burst sound you are after?

When I look at photos of Jeff Beck in 1968 and 1969 (around when Truth was recorded), I mostly see photos of him with a Burst having a double black bridge pickup and a zebra neck pickup.

I also see him with the Yardbirds Les Paul, around that time. The one with double whites that had a black pick guard.

...and a Tele.

I don't know what was played on any given songs on the actual Truth album. Just because he played those guitars live around that time doesn't mean something else didn't make the album. If you know which guitar you are after, I can try to find videos of him playing it and use my database of PAF data from the same era combined with my ears to come up with a pretty good approximation. If it's one of the zebra / double white PAF guitars, that really narrows down the possibilities.
Going purely on speculation, I believe that the double white/black guard is the one that was gutted and thrown away. I'm going to bet that jeff used that one at all times before switching to the zebra one (I found some great pictures of him using it and it looks like it was stripped), which I believe was stolen from him and now is in the hands of some collector, which jeff knows about and is cool with apparently. I have to read that biography again because it has all the details.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
So you think it was the double black bridge / zebra neck one that was used on the album? I'll do some listening to that.

Just noticed you've got a Hot Koss set, btw. Very cool!

King Minimoose

Reaction score
Apparently Jeff got his first burst in 1966. I'm going to assume this was the double white one. I'm going to do some more digging and will post when I find more.

Edit: I don't think this was the double whites because he apparently smashed it not too long after

Last edited:

Zoobiedood

Reaction score
But I'm not talking about having Jeff involved. Most pickup makers have artist inspired pickup sets which are not officially licensed. Why don't these said pickup makers make a Truth-era inspired set? Which is the original question.
I bet you could contact the Custom Shop and they would build it.

King Minimoose

Reaction score