JCM 900 4101 Combo - Incoming

JMP

Reaction score
Tone is subjective, no opinion is wrong. I've heard good SS and hybrid amps. The Marshall 3203 for one is a great hybrid I used to own and wish I had never sold. I currently have a JOYO Zonbie Hybrid I love. I've also heard good things about the Marshall MOSFET solid state and the Marshall Lead 12 sounds pretty good as well.
I agree- tone is subjective. If you plug into a 1985 Peavey Bandit and expect to hear an exact duplication of Jimmy Page’s tone from Houses of the Holy, you’re not going to be happy with the Bandit. But, if you spend some time playing it and exploring tone options, there’s tons of great, unique, sounds to be had. Same with most any amp me thinks.

I’ve wanted a Marshall Lead 12 for the last 10 years. They’re tough to find and the prices are nutty (I’m blaming Johan for that!).

Rock on!

Last edited:

pmonk

Reaction score
Tone is subjective, no opinion is wrong. I've heard good SS and hybrid amps. The Marshall 3203 for one is a great hybrid I used to own and wish I had never sold.
Agreed 100% I added a FRENZEL FM - DP1 "Deluxe Plexi" tube preamp with the DUAL PLEXI - JCM800 PREAMP mod and that rocks!

pmonk

Reaction score
Fender and Marshall - In general, Totally different animals. It’s fun having both options in your amplifier collection.
I have a Blues Deluxe reissue with an Eminence Cannabis Rex Patriot speaker.

I just prefer the sound of a 2x12 over a 1x12 (unless of course I find a Fender Deluxe Reverb that doesn't require a second mortgage to buy)

Deftone

Reaction score

JMP

Reaction score
The JCM 900 continues to impress. I really like the lower gain tones….and the cleans….and the higher gain tones. Super versatile amp. This is truly an amp you can plug directly into and be good to go. Covers tons of tonal ground PLUS REVERB (reverb is a must for me…it’s my warm cozy blanket).

This amp is inspiring and I’m playing more because of it - WIN!

I’m a huge fan of Zeppelin and Page. This guy has been putting some great Page stuff on YouTube. Check this out….he offers up some tasty knowledge nuggets.

Have a great Sunday all.

Deftone

Reaction score
The JCM 900 continues to impress. I really like the lower gain tones….and the cleans….and the higher gain tones. Super versatile amp. This is truly an amp you can plug directly into and be good to go. Covers tons of tonal ground PLUS REVERB (reverb is a must for me…it’s my warm cozy blanket).

This amp is inspiring and I’m playing more because of it - WIN!

I’m a huge fan of Zeppelin and Page. This guy has been putting some great Page stuff on YouTube. Check this out….he offers up some tasty knowledge nuggets.

Have a great Sunday all.
It's a great amp!

Cool vid. Jimmy Page is a genius.

Neffco

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m a recent Marshall convert as well. My SV20H and 4x12 just flat out sounds better to me than anything else I’ve owned. Don’t even need reverb. May need a 700$ attenuator though.

Deftone

Reaction score
I see 8 knobs in the picture so the MKIII
SL-X has 8 knobs as well, but the SL-X logo is easy to see.
iu

Either way that's a smoking deal on a great amp.

Harley90

Reaction score
I have the 100w single 12 combo with 5881's but sought out that model....it is crazy good would love to play them side by side for differences but I'm happy as can be, extra grit with a pedal it crushes.

Deftone

Reaction score
I have the 100w single 12 combo with 5881's but sought out that model....it is crazy good would love to play them side by side for differences but I'm happy as can be, extra grit with a pedal it crushes.
My 50w 4500 and SL-X Heads both have 5881's. I prefer them to EL-34's.

JMP

Reaction score
I’ve been playing in a casual (for fun) band with some acquaintances. General hard rock and heavy blues stuff. The first few times we jammed, I brought my Alessandro Deluxe Reverb- my favorite amp of all time. For the last few jams, I brought the JCM 900 4101…..holy shit that amp rocks. Sure, it sounds great when I’m home alone and have the ability to turn it up. But in a band setting, with some volume, it roars! High gain, Classic Marshall crunch, edge of breakup, cleans - it all sounds great with my R7 and a few pedals.

I’m super happy this amp is in my life.

Deftone

Reaction score
I’ve been playing in a casual (for fun) band with some acquaintances. General hard rock and heavy blues stuff. The first few times we jammed, I brought my Alessandro Deluxe Reverb- my favorite amp of all time. For the last few jams, I brought the JCM 900 4101…..holy shit that amp rocks. Sure, it sounds great when I’m home alone and have the ability to turn it up. But in a band setting, with some volume, it roars! High gain, Classic Marshall crunch, edge of breakup, cleans - it all sounds great with my R7 and a few pedals.

I’m super happy this amp is in my life.
Been playing my 4500 a lot lately. Such a kick ass amp. I hit the half power switch for 25 watts and dial in some nice dirty blues tones. Add a little more gain for hard rock all the way to Metal. Takes pedals really well. Ridiculously versatile & underrated amp.

JMP

Reaction score
Been playing my 4500 a lot lately. Such a kick ass amp. I hit the half power switch for 25 watts and dial in some nice dirty blues tones. Add a little more gain for hard rock all the way to Metal. Takes pedals really well. Ridiculously versatile & underrated amp.
Awesome! I find that with my 4101, the “clean” channel is my favorite. With the preamp gain turned up to 75%, I get killer low gain crunch. I feed a DS-1 into that, and I get all the classic distortion I need, adjust to taste using the guitar volume knob. And the onboard spring reverb is great (it’s not Fender Deluxe reverb, but it is quite good). Super simple rig that totally kicks ass. Super simple setup for jamming/transporting.

Latest Threads