Jazzmaster middle position sounds piercing and ice pick

bassmannlespaulman

Reaction score
No matter how much i adjust the pickup heights i can't get that ice pick out out. Which is crazy cause the neck pickup and bridge aren't at all piercing but the middle position is. Tried to turn down the tone control still overly bright.

I got a staytrem bridge on it 10-46 strings and I'm thinking maybe I'll have to replace the pickups on it. I took a chance on a company i never heard of on reverb called pork roll pickups for 97 bucks plus shipping. They sound pretty good but im really bothered by piercing middle position. Any suggestions before i take the pickups out? Maybe even some good jazzmaster pickup replacements?

SFK

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've never had a Jazzmaster but if it's a vintage type model, I'll bet the pickups are wired out of phase in the middle position.

If so, should be an easy fix.

bassmannlespaulman

Reaction score
I've never had a Jazzmaster but if it's a vintage type model, I'll bet the pickups are wired out of phase in the middle position.

If so, should be an easy fix.
No it isn't out of phase i like the out of phase sound but that isnt piercing so it might be the pickups

DarrellV

just Livin' the Dream....
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just for kicks, can you wire them straight to the output jack to test them?

I don't know what all the little switches do on the Jazzmasters I've seen, but if you can take the tone controls and switches out of the mix and just run the two pickups to the output jack, you'll know for sure if it's them.

Even if it means soldering both sets of leads together on the volume pot or jack just to test them.

My 2 cents...

Reactions: SFK

Burny FLG

Reaction score
No idea about your wiring but shouldn't it sound like both pickups ie sweet with bite?

Coldacre

Reaction score
No matter how much i adjust the pickup heights i can't get that ice pick out out. Which is crazy cause the neck pickup and bridge aren't at all piercing but the middle position is. Tried to turn down the tone control still overly bright.
you've got a faulty guitar. if you have the treble control turned all the way off and the pickups are still bright, there's a wiring issue.

DarrellV

just Livin' the Dream....
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow this is still open?

Any chance of some pics of the wiring and guts?

bassmannlespaulman

Reaction score
Wow this is still open?

Any chance of some pics of the wiring and guts?
Don't have any... just played it now i think i need to spray the toggle switch because the bridge is low in volume and the neck n middle sound the same....i love this jazzmaster but it gives me so many problems lol