Japanese Kingston guitar truss rod

hitrome

Reaction score
I am currently doing an overhaul on a ~1960's Kingston guitar. I'm attempting to straighten the neck but after removing the truss rod cover and the neck from the body I've discovered something a bit unusual. The truss rod at the headstock end does not seem to be easily adjusted. The space between the nut and the cavity is about 7/8". This is not enough space for a typical Gibson style wrench in either straight or right angle sizes. At the body end of the neck, there is a bolt which measures ~9mm. I'm confident I can adjust this with a 9mm wrench but I'm unsure if the design of the truss rod would allow for such an adjustment. I'm thinking of cutting down a 5/16" socket and threading a rod through it to make my own right angle wrench for the truss rod at the headstock end. Before I do that I was wondering if it would be alright to adjust the truss rod at the body end? I've provided some pictures and would appreciate the help. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Attachments

• Kingston Guitar 1.JPG
    Kingston Guitar 1.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 66
  • Kingston Guitar 2.JPG
    Kingston Guitar 2.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 60
  • Kingston Guitar 3.JPG
    Kingston Guitar 3.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Kingston Guitar 4.JPG
    Kingston Guitar 4.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 60

B. Howard

Reaction score
Need the really short right angle type wrench, same as you need for PRS stuff.

hitrome

Reaction score
Need the really short right angle type wrench, same as you need for PRS stuff.
Alright thank you. Do you know of any other companies who do their truss rods this way? How common is this?

B. Howard

Reaction score
As a brand only PRS jumps to mind but it is something you see from time to time. I got a whole drawer full of truss rod wrenches, some self made to deal with the oddballs of the guitar world.

Latest Threads