Japanese Dealers

arcticBzc

Reaction score
Recently I was trying to purchase an R8. I've been browsing a lot R8 and just cannot find a great deal. I went on gbase and found an incredible R8 with a pretty nice price. The store which sells this guitar is called Nico-Nico guitars located in Tokyo. I was wondering if anyone else has worked with them before. Are the transactions and maybe payment smooth? Are they trustworthy to wire them the money?

Roxy13

Reaction score
Thank you! I’ve searched this store and all said that they were really great! I’m pulling the trigger to get my dream guitar.

Enjoy! The Japanese stores do get some of the best looking Gibsons!

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
How does import duties, customs, tax and/or other costs calculated?

I frequently see guitars and other gear in Japan but the unknown extra cost has kept me from buying.

searswashere

Reaction score
How does import duties, customs, tax and/or other costs calculated?

I frequently see guitars and other gear in Japan but the unknown extra cost has kept me from buying.
Most shipping sites have a faq section for helping estimate these costs.

currypowder

Reaction score
Recently I was trying to purchase an R8. I've been browsing a lot R8 and just cannot find a great deal. I went on gbase and found an incredible R8 with a pretty nice price. The store which sells this guitar is called Nico-Nico guitars located in Tokyo. I was wondering if anyone else has worked with them before. Are the transactions and maybe payment smooth? Are they trustworthy to wire them the money?
I have purchased directly from Nico-Nico several times and would not hesitate to go to them again if they had something of interest. With the USD/JPY exchange rate as favorable as it's been for the US in many years, seems like a good time to make something like this happen.

Depending on how they ship it to you, you may have to pay up to 8% import duties, so factor that in.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I don't think you have to pay customs taxes on a Gibson since it's returning to the country of manufacture, but you should check on that.

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
I got a couple guitars from Nico Nico and they were great to deal with. I have never paid any fees.

Angelus

Reaction score
Nico nico is the best shop in Japan to my opinion, several orders sent and they re perfect, really pro, I had some problems with some others shop in Japan but Nico nico is just the best, no worries about them.
You ll have custom fees for sure and shipping cost from Japan these days are really expensive, not their fault but you should be informed about this first...

DeafDumbBlind Kid

Reaction score
Up until my last attempt, I've had great luck buying stuff from Japan. The only downside is there appears to be a trend of people listing items they don't actually have possession of, and then attempting to fulfull their orders by purchasing the instrument from the actual holder. I lost a purchase of a bass I've wanted for over 10 years now because they didn't actually have it and it was gone by the time I pulled the trigger.

HellRot

Reaction score
They have great selection of guitars and their prices due to exchange rate are sometimes lower than actually buying in US.

Good luck!

gkelm

Reaction score
I’ve noticed the same guitar/pics on eBay listed by several different seller… sounds like what you experienced-
Annoying to say the least.

Sounds like Nico is reputable, and Ishibashi is also a great dealer…I’ve ordered online and have been in their Tokyo shops.

goodvibes

Reaction score
I bought a guitar from Nico Nico guitars in Tokyo two years ago they are a top-notch seller and you will not have any worries about the Guitar. They take care of all the paperwork including the CITES forms. However, there are a lot of pictures from their website stolen and used on fraudulent sites so be careful. Make sure you call them and talk to them. They have people who speak English. Also, since my guitar was a USA made custom shop model I did not have to pay any customs fees.

jk60LPTH

Reaction score
I don't think you have to pay customs taxes on a Gibson since it's returning to the country of manufacture, but you should check on that

I'd never heard of this before, but after researching on the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website, it states under 'American Goods Returning Usually Eligible For Duty-Free Treatment' that:
"The provision 9801.00.10 in the 'Harmonized Tariff Schedule' allows U.S. made products to return to the U.S. without being subject to duty and the Merchandise Processing Fee. However, the provision stipulates the goods cannot be advanced in value or the condition of the goods improved while abroad."

The short version of this is that products manufactured in the US and shipped to foreign countries are eligible for return to the US duty-free, unless they were modified in the foreign country, or sent to the foreign country for repair, in which case the duty owed would be on the cost of the modification or repair.

To qualify, the item must be accompanied by a letter from the original manufacturer on their company's letterhead, stating that the item was manufactured in the United States. The letter must be signed by an employee at the US manufacturer's facility that has the authority to sign on the manufacturer's behalf.

This applies to shipments valued over $2,000 and if the articles are not clearly marked with the name and address of the manufacturer.

It also states that "At some US Ports of entry, Customs will accept a NAFTA Certificate that is completed by the manufacturer".

Do the paperwork, save money.

Reaction score
I’ve bought three guitars from Japan in 2021, so pretty recent, two times FedEx charged me duty tax, the other time was shipped by usps and no duties, all of the forms stated USA country of manufacturer

So next time I do it, I’ll avoid FedEx

I complained to FedEx and told ithem it’s a US item returning back to US, they said I needed a form when it shipped stating which USA port it was last sent out, original seller of the used guitar, etc

On top of that, to complain and challenge the duty tax, you have to pay $90 to get it to a FedEx review, I despise FedEx

i either get firm confirmation that the seller will include the US Goods Return form be included when shipped or just avoid buying

when I got both duty tax 30 days after guitar delivered, I was shocked, cause bought Gibson custom and they charged a high duty tax on it

just giving honest experience to you, good luck

jk60LPTH

Reaction score
Fedex has been doing a lot of shady things regarding overseas shipping... I read a long post by someone who had something shipped (from Great Britain, I think) and FedEx charged him around $90.00 to fill out a customs form that takes 3 minutes to complete and the postal system does for nothing when you ship by them. He was also charged some additional delivery fee to deliver it after it was already in the US, that wasn't disclosed at the time of shipping. I don't know whether to chalk it up to incompetence or underhanded business practices, or just plain greed. Probably some of each. If you do a little searching on the net you'll find a lot of similar threads.

According to one of the articles I read if the item that is being shipped from overseas was 100% made in the USA, that is, nothing else added to improve the value of the item done overseas, you don't even need to fill out any customs forms, but you must definitely have a copy of that document from the original manufacturer signed by someone at the manufacturing facility by an employee who has the power to sign in name of the company, and it should accompany the shipment. Also, you should have a copy of it ready if the one with the shipment gets separated from it in transit.

It's so very little known except by the people in Customs, that you should have a copy of the rules handy in case you need to explain what this is all about.

Links:

The first two links explain how this works, and the third link it the official verbage from US Customs and Border Protection which validates the first two links.

I've had very good service Postal Systems in US and Canada the 3 times I had shipments between Quebec and the DC area, they passed through Customs in NYC in one day and I received them faster than many shipments from places within the US, and I've heard shipping by the Postal System in Great Britain and the US works quite well, but I have no personal experience with that (yet). It might throw them a curve when the subject of the American Goods Returned without and declaration or duty comes up, so it would probably be time well spent speaking to someone at US Customs and Border Protection to guide you through the minefield prior to shipping.

I think you can forget about Reverb ever accommodating this, they don't care how much it saves you, their only concern is how many different ways they can milk money off your purchase as easily as possible. A real shame what's happened to them. And their customer service sucks... you message them and you get an AI bot that offers you a discrete list of reasons why you're contacting them, and if your reason isn't on the list you're screwed because it keeps kicking you back to the beginning in an endless loop until you give up in frustration. Hope I'm not hurting anyone's feelings here by complaining about Reverb, but I've grown to loath them when I once thought they were great.

And just to be clear, this will not apply to an MIJ Gibson, only to Gibsons manufactured in the US and shipped to Japan (or other foreign countries) that are then purchased for return to the US.

Last edited:

Latest Threads