James Whitey Bulger found dead

Harmony

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Even though at 89 you would expect natural causes, they think he may have well been murdered.

Notorious Boston gangster James "Whitey" Bulger was found dead at a federal prison in West Virginia Tuesday — on the morning after he arrived — and the FBI has launched an investigation, federal officials said.

Bulger, 89, was found unresponsive about 8:20 a.m. at the high-security penitentiary USP Hazelton in West Virginia, according to a Justice Department statement.

"Life-saving measures were initiated immediately by responding staff," the statement said.

But he was subsequently pronounced dead by the Preston County Medical Examiner, the Justice Department said.

No other staff or inmates were injured, officials said.

Bulger had arrived at the West Virginia prison on Monday.

mdubya

Reaction score
Even though at 89 you would expect natural causes, they think he may have well been murdered.

Notorious Boston gangster James "Whitey" Bulger was found dead at a federal prison in West Virginia Tuesday — on the morning after he arrived — and the FBI has launched an investigation, federal officials said.

Bulger, 89, was found unresponsive about 8:20 a.m. at the high-security penitentiary USP Hazelton in West Virginia, according to a Justice Department statement.

"Life-saving measures were initiated immediately by responding staff," the statement said.

But he was subsequently pronounced dead by the Preston County Medical Examiner, the Justice Department said.

No other staff or inmates were injured, officials said.

Bulger had arrived at the West Virginia prison on Monday.

I didn't realize he was in Hazelton. Just up the road from my house.

I almost got killed by a raging meth head who had just been released from there earlier that day and was on a celebratory bender. That was an "interesting" experience. :eek2:

Can't say I have much sympathy for Mr. Bulger.

Death Incarnate

Premium V.I.P.
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Confess after arrest, die like the rest. But seriously, fuck him, couldn't happen to a more deserving person.

Winter Hill is just a few blocks away from my current digs. Not the greatest area, has escaped the surrounding gentrification.

Harmony

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize he was in Hazelton. Just up the road from my house.

I almost got killed by a raging meth head who had just been released from there earlier that day and was on a celebratory bender. That was an "interesting" experience. :eek2:

Can't say I have much sympathy for Mr. Bulger.

Yeah, he got moved from Florida recently, to Oklahoma City, then to WV. No one knows why he got moved, but obviously, someone was not happy with his new digs.

Roberteaux

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
LOL Caleb will be devastated. Whitey was his favorite criminal! :D

Interestingly, now that this has happened, a lookup on Florida DOC's inmate search shows no results for John Connolly-- the former FBI agent who was busted for racketeering and murder as a result of his frolics with Bulger over the years.

While doing a ten year sentence in federal prison for racketeering and obstruction of justice, Connolly was also convicted in Florida on charges of 2nd degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder. He caught those charges for fingering John Callahan and Roger Wheeler as threats to Bulger's organization, which led to Callahan being shot to death in Miami.

Sentenced to 40 years on state charges, Connolly was probably sent to Apalachee Correctional Institution, which is a prison that is used mainly to house convicted snitches, convicted ex-cops, ex-lawyers, ex-politicos, and other types of "exes" who probably wouldn't last five seconds in any other prison in the state. But even at such time as Connolly could still be found on the DOC inmate search site, his place of incarceration wasn't identified... all Florida would say was that we had him.

Now he cannot be found by that search at all. It's being speculated that he's now serving his time under an alias. If that's so, then Connolly was undoubtedly also sent to another institution altogether as well.

With Bulger finally getting what he had coming, my best guess is that Connolly is now to be found in some deep, dark, forgotten hole in either UCI or FSP, where even the trustees are not allowed to venture.

IIRC, Connolly's first parole hearing date will be in 2021.

--R

Last edited:

PeteK

Reaction score
Snitches get stitches. Or worse apparently.

Malikon

말억건
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I thought a Whitey Bulger was slang for Caucasian hard-on

PeteK

Reaction score
Wait, that's who Johnny Depp was trying to look like? Good god, did the makeup department never see a picture of Bulger?

Harmony

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Wait, that's who Johnny Depp was trying to look like? Good god, did the makeup department never see a picture of Bulger?

I got to admit, Johnny Depp's face in that movie, scared me :laugh2: Bulger did have cosmetic surgery while he was on the run, but there was some likeness to Johnny Depp's look, not just that scary imo.

Found a picture of the two..

Roberteaux

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It's not quite clear yet what caused his death.

The Boston Globe and CNN are two of the major outlets whose headlines indicate that Bulger was "killed" in prison, with the Globe adding that the FBI is investigating an inmate "with mafia ties" in conjunction with the death of Bulger.

However, when it comes to the cause of death, both accounts stipulate that the prison has said only that he was "found unresponsive" without mentioning anything beyond just that.

The majority of outlets feature headlines that are saying only that Bulger was found dead... but not that he had been "killed".

USDOJ released a statement that was identical to that issued by the BOP. So really, all we have so far is that Bulger is dead, that there's an FBI investigation taking place... and possibly, that the FBI is talking to various of the goombata housed in that particular prison.

Who knows? Maybe he just keeled over and died of a heart attack or something. The man was 89, after all...

It will be interesting to see what the medical examiner has to say.

--R

Last edited:

thatF-INGflyingVguy

Reaction score
http://www.tmz.com/2018/10/30/whitey-bulger-dead-prison-crime-boss-mob-west-virginia/
Mob Boss Whitey BulgerBeaten to Death in Prison ...Eyes Gouged
12:09 PM PT -- A prison source tells us Bulger -- who is wheelchair bound -- was in general population Tuesday morning. We're told he was approached by 3 other inmates who wheeled him into a corner that could not be seen by surveillance cameras.

Our source says the inmates beat Bulger -- one used a lock in a sock as a weapon -- until he was unconscious. They also attempted to gouge his eyes out with some type of shiv, but were unsuccessful. Bulger fell to the ground covered in bruises and with several dents in his head.

As for the eyes, we've been doing some research -- back in the days of Murder Inc., (the 1940s gangsters, not the rappers) mobsters would gouge out the eyes of witnesses who talked to cops.

Whitey was an informant for the FBI starting back in 1975 -- so, this may have been a message from his killers to warn others about snitching.

11:43 AM PT -- A law enforcement source tells us Bulger's death is being treated as a suspected homicide.

11:15 AM PT -- TMZ has learned emergency dispatchers got a call from the prison for someone in cardiac arrest, and staffers at the facility were performing CPR. They also had a defibrillator on scene.

thatF-INGflyingVguy

Reaction score
http://www.tmz.com/2018/10/30/whitey-bulger-dead-prison-crime-boss-mob-west-virginia/
Mob Boss Whitey BulgerBeaten to Death in Prison ...Eyes Gouged
12:09 PM PT -- A prison source tells us Bulger -- who is wheelchair bound -- was in general population Tuesday morning. We're told he was approached by 3 other inmates who wheeled him into a corner that could not be seen by surveillance cameras.

Our source says the inmates beat Bulger -- one used a lock in a sock as a weapon -- until he was unconscious. They also attempted to gouge his eyes out with some type of shiv, but were unsuccessful. Bulger fell to the ground covered in bruises and with several dents in his head.

As for the eyes, we've been doing some research -- back in the days of Murder Inc., (the 1940s gangsters, not the rappers) mobsters would gouge out the eyes of witnesses who talked to cops.

Whitey was an informant for the FBI starting back in 1975 -- so, this may have been a message from his killers to warn others about snitching.

11:43 AM PT -- A law enforcement source tells us Bulger's death is being treated as a suspected homicide.

11:15 AM PT -- TMZ has learned emergency dispatchers got a call from the prison for someone in cardiac arrest, and staffers at the facility were performing CPR. They also had a defibrillator on scene.