James Hetfield Flying V

Mr. Beef

Custom Refins/Restoration
Reaction score
I had this posted in the Custom Shop area, but since it's not an LP, I thought I should create a thread over here.

Just finished this baby up and I' proud of the result. Looks and plays excellent!

Andy California

Reaction score
If I understand correctly you did the aging? Looks convincing :). Or did you build the guitar?
Did you snap the headstock and glue it back on? :)

Mr. Beef

Custom Refins/Restoration
Reaction score
If I understand correctly you did the aging? Looks convincing :). Or did you build the guitar?
Did you snap the headstock and glue it back on? :)
I refinished the guitar in white and then did all the aging (and drawing). I actually thought about trying to break the headstock, that could have been disastrous and runined the integrity of the guitar.

The guitar is a 1976 Electra Flying V, the same one James Hetfield played in Metallica's early days.

Caretaker

Reaction score
I remember the early days with Metallica. That was the workhorse.
Hetfield used that almost exclusively.
Looks pretty close.

Warlag

Reaction score
That’s pretty fucking cool man! That takes some good commitment getting all the marks as accurate looking as possible!

flyingvguy

Reaction score
p4cbk8w9mecasp6zfwtd.jpg

ahhh... this is how the neck should look. your version is 'incorrect'... truss rod route is also 'incorrect'. as is the tuners and the relic job looks fake. sadly that is not how a guitar would look from normal wear and abuse by a teen aged heavy metal kid. the relic job looks fake in my opinion. maybe show pix of the guitar in question because i remember that james had several white flying v's in the early metallica years. his main v shows as the one here where neck joint is a raised fretboard not flush with the body if you'll notice the binding and marker dots show the neck is raised twice the amount as the fretboard thickness... a bolt on? nope. just for the record.

Last edited:

flyingvguy

Reaction score
A couple of things....

1) James' "V" (that this is a copy of) was a bolt-on neck Electra Flying Wedge, and not a Gibson Flying V.

2) Mr. Beef stopped posting here years ago.
and why would you even bother posting the obvious and then quoting it?

Pancake81

Reaction score
This is the real deal, so I would say you nailed it pretty darn close in my mind. One of those guitars where the back is more iconic and recognizable than the front.

darkvoice

Reaction score
This guitar has been posted for sale for years, I think they went down in price too...still no buyers.

Latest Threads