Izzit me or..Has Gibson lost their minds..

The_Sentry

Reaction score
*shrugs*

They've always had models like that. A lot of companies do...even Fender over their replicas.

So What

Reaction score
Nah.....totally worth it.

Imagine how much better you will play, and the TONES you will deliver.

Ought to be purple in there somewhere.

lunchbox

Reaction score
The more I see this crap from Gibson, the more I respect Heritage.

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This is a well-known marketing trick, backed up by years of psychological research, etc. It really works.

By introducing extremely pricey (and apparently "classy," "high-end," whatever) products, Gibson raises their perceived value all across their product line. They even get people to spend more on lower priced items; they don't really care if they sell a single top-of-the-line item or not.

Think about it. You know you need to finally buy a smart phone but you don't know crap about them. And you're a regular guy so you don't have a ton of money to spend. In the store are 3 models:

1) The Super Deluxe 9000, which costs $499 and has a zillion Gigathingies
2) The Awesome Regular 400, which costs $199 and has a middle amount of Gigathingies
3) The Economy 1 that costs $99, looks like poo, and only has 3 Gigathingies

Ninety-five percent of you are going to walk out with #2 and feel like you made a responsible consumer choice. If the company sells a few of #1 and #3, that's cool and all, but they only really care about selling #2. They just tricked you into buying exactly what they wanted to sell you.

True story, though I forget the details like which company, etc:

When washing machines first came out for home use, they wouldn't sell, because there was only 1 model and it cost X amount of dollars. The average person thought they were cool, but were they really worth $X? Who knows? So they didn't buy.

The company got smart, introduced a super high-end model that cost $3X, and everyone went out and made the "responsible consumer decision" to buy the original model for $X and patted themselves on the back.

That's how it works, you see it all the time with enormous flat-screened TVs that no-one really buys (but that entice everyone else to buy the next best thing, which is what they wanted to sell you anyway), etc, etc, etc.

Nils

Reaction score
Why not replace the entire Gibson management team with people from MLP & LPF.

And I hate the psychological marketing mentioned above. That's why I hate most of the commercial world. All about moneymoneymoney.

12watt

Reaction score
Well I use one to scratch my back.
To be precise, Jones, my valet, does the actual back scratching for me.

12watt

Reaction score

It's Gibson, fellas! They've seen the light!

KeystoneKops.jpg

kmk108

Reaction score

And I hate the psychological marketing mentioned above. That's why I hate most of the commercial world. All about moneymoneymoney.

Well, considering the commercial world's main objective is to make money, I'm sure companies are going to do what it takes to make money :laugh2:

Barcham

Elitist Club Member
Reaction score
$20 Grand and they put Burstbuckers in it? And plastic inlays? And a PLEATHER case? Sure, sign me up for one right after Hell freezes over.

Lurko

Reaction score
$20 Grand and they put Burstbuckers in it? And plastic inlays? And a PLEATHER case? Sure, sign me up for one right after Hell freezes over.

But! But! Those BBs are "made with genuine Alnico II magnets and wound with 42 AWG wire, with slightly mismatched coils, just like the legendary PAF humbuckers of the late '50s"!!!

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
I'd bet that Gibson is selling those high end guitars without much of a problem. The only people with disposable income right now are those folks who had money before the crash or who are able to take advantage of the money printing by the Fed. The normal folks are by and large, buying cheap Asian or used guitars. If Gibson's marketing wasn't working, they would stop and try something else.

AxeBuilder

Reaction score
What planet are you guys from?

This thread is deja vu - it seems to repeat itself over and over. Gibson, like any manufacturer, can charge whatever they want for any of their products - that's called business. Economics 101: supply and demand will dictate success of their strategy and they will modify it accordingly.

Just because YOU can't afford the high end stuff doesn't mean that Gibson is nuts.....it just means that you like to bitch at Gibson.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Good news is:
by marketing these outrageously high priced items, Gibson cashes in big big time, which in turn permits to sell more less expensive guitars at better prices to their less fortunate customers wanna be's.
Ain't that grand?

Where the hell is purple?

TOMMYTHUNDERS

Reaction score
this is to celebrate all of the awesome gold top les pauls that were produced in 1962 while simultaneously celebrating les paul's (the man's) love for the marshall amplifier

Latest Threads