I've gone flatwounds

EasyAce

Reaction score
I got so fed up with the scraping/scratching sounds when I move my fingertips on round wounds from fret to fret. I asked a local musician friend what he suggested. The first word out of his mouth was "flatwounds."

1660247653680.png

Took a chance. Bought two sets of D'Addario Jazz Light .11s. Put them on one of my ES-335s . . .

1660248130238.png

What a difference!! Even if you don't play jazz-side blues (or jazz-side anything), they're what I've been seeking for eons and I didn't realise it until that friend suggested it. Both the touch and the sound make such a difference for me!

I have four more sets on order to go on all my Les Pauls, too. I will stay flatwound until death do us part!

jimmyjames

Reaction score
I liked Chromes when I tried 'em a few yrs ago, overall sound was awesome from my Greco LP. Only problem was, I couldn't do bends at will, like i like to...

smk506

Reaction score
I like the half flats/semi flats if finger drag is an issue but bending is still required. They were my string of choice for a long time, quiet and they have their own tone going for themselves.

They’re worth a shot.

EasyAce

Reaction score
I liked Chromes when I tried 'em a few yrs ago, overall sound was awesome from my Greco LP. Only problem was, I couldn't do bends at will, like i like to...
I stopped bending when I realised I could finger-slide just as effectively. That's when the scraping/squeaking on the round-wounds started driving me nuts at last. I put another set of those D'Addario Jazz Lights (.11) on this ES-335, too (pictured before the change) . . .

1660270225576.png

. . . and they sound just as great on her!

Tollie

Reaction score
I like the half flats/semi flats if finger drag is an issue but bending is still required. They were my string of choice for a long time, quiet and they have their own tone going for themselves.

They’re worth a shot.
What brand makes these?

sonar1

Reaction score
What brand makes these?
GHS Nickel Rockers are kind of mashed a little. Quiet, but not silent.
LaBella makes all kinds of stuff, from Studio Brights to tape wound.
D’addario makes Chromes and Half Wound.
Thomastik-Infeld makes Swings (flatwound) George Benson custom sets, and Be-Bops (round wound). $pendy!

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I use flats on my acoustic archtop, but on my solidbody electrics, it's full roundwounds all the time. I want those harmonics when plugged into any of my Marshalls or Mesas.

TheX

Follower of the Tao of Edro
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use Chromes on my archtops. Love 'em.

filtersweep

Reaction score
I used to use D'Addarios, but switched to Tomastik Infelds-- would definitely recommend taking a look at those.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I used to play flat wounds, I think GHS. Maybe I need to string up one of my guitars with those again…

Deftone

Reaction score
My ES-135 had flatwounds on it when I bought it, I really liked them. I should get another set.

TheX

Follower of the Tao of Edro
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sold a 335 years back, with flatwounds. The buyer had never even heard of them. Got an email a short time later that he has almost completely converted his other axes. They aren't for everyone, but they are great at what they do.

Tollie

Reaction score
GHS Nickel Rockers are kind of mashed a little. Quiet, but not silent.
LaBella makes all kinds of stuff, from Studio Brights to tape wound.
D’addario makes Chromes and Half Wound.
Thomastik-Infeld makes Swings (flatwound) George Benson custom sets, and Be-Bops (round wound). $pendy!
Thank you very much!

turbo t terry

Reaction score
Right now I have flats on one guitar and rounds on a similar guitar (both are LPs). The guitar with the flats on it actually has more “modern” pickups, weight relief, and bridge. The one with the rounds has vintage-style pickups and bridge, and no weight relief. Which guitar sounds more vintage? The one with the flats.

Latest Threads