I've fallen back in love with my cheap knockoff Ice Blue Telecaster "plank"

NRBQ

Reaction score
Is there anything more fun then rediscovering a guitar you've had for a few years and falling in love all over again? Sure, a brand new vagina, a free Lamborghini, some strong cheese, but stay with me here, a few years ago I picked up an Xaviere Telecaster in Ice Blue from Guitarfetish for around $140. I liked it and was impressed with the sound, feel, and quality considering I paid so little for it. But when I bought and moved into a new house a couple of years ago, the guitar stayed in the "bag" after I moved and just stayed there even after I unpacked my life. I've got an American Strat, and a Les Paul Deluxe, and since I moved have been mostly playing my Mexican Strat. But the other day I decided to put the Mex away and pulled out the plank. It took a day or two to get used to it again, but now I'm just crazy about it. The thing is just the last word in simplicity and understatement. I still can't believe how great it plays and looks, it also sounds great, with that twangy thang Tele's all seem to have. Since I bought it I've never F'd with the action at all, never changed the pickups, never done anything at all and it plays like butter. Right now it's got 10's but I may change them out with 9's which is what I normally play.

I know this is a Les Paul site, but I also know there are Tele fans here as well. I figured it might be fun to throw up a thread about the plank and see who else has one and see if they'd post some pics and talk a little about them. I'm so glad that I chose the ice blue color when it was available, it's such a great looking color for this guitar. I'll definitely be using this as my primary guitar for a good while no doubt about it. It just feels so solid, a great guitar for cracking someone over the head with if you get into a scrap. The neck is about perfect for my smallish hand, the action is great, it's just amazing what you can get for not much money. Plus I'm happy that the fetish site isn't selling an ice blue version anymore. Not sure why but I like that you can't get one from them that looks like mine. It's a snob thing I guess.

So that's the story, I'm in love boys, with an ice blue plank. Please post a pic or two if you got one.

The computer won't allow me to post pics from my cell phone so I found a couple of the real thing, but it looks exactly the same, exactly.
th (19).jpg
024805.jpg

Last edited:

smk506

Reaction score
The only thing crazy about any of that is a tele being in a case that long.

I had an xavier strat and it was a cool guitar for the money. There’s something nice about the simple plank tele that I prefer though. That ice blue is sweet, it reeks of exclusivity.

NRBQ

Reaction score
The only thing crazy about any of that is a tele being in a case that long.

I had an xavier strat and it was a cool guitar for the money. There’s something nice about the simple plank tele that I prefer though. That ice blue is sweet, it reeks of exclusivity.
Yeah I'm not sure why I kept it packed away honestly, and there's no doubt it does reek of exclusivity. Matter of fact, the other day a friend came by the house and I wouldn't let him in, cause he wasn't exclusive enough to be in the same room as the guitar. So I opened up a window with a screen and we hung out for a while, him on the outside and me inside knowing I hadn't sullied the guitar with his less than exclusive presence.

Dun Ringill

Shall not be infringed
Reaction score
DSG with black scotch pickups

1570029061246.png

Squire affinity with seymour duncan hot tele pickups

1570029123676.png

NRBQ

Reaction score
DSG with black scotch pickups

View attachment 410867

Squire affinity with seymour duncan hot tele pickups

View attachment 410868
WOW cool guitars, both of those are really unique looking Tele's, on the second one the pick guard almost looks like leather. On the green one, what's that that's below the string saddle? It almost looks like one string goes further down the guitar. Never seen anything like that before.

Dun Ringill

Shall not be infringed
Reaction score
WOW cool guitars, both of those are really unique looking Tele's, on the second one the pick guard almost looks like leather. On the green one, what's that that's below the string saddle? It almost looks like one string goes further down the guitar. Never seen anything like that before.
It is leather. And the other guitar has a b bender. The mechanism is attached to the top strap peg so you can bend the b string by moving the guitar. Clarence White used one:

NRBQ

Reaction score
It is leather. And the other guitar has a b bender. The mechanism is attached to the top strap peg so you can bend the b string by moving the guitar. Clarence White used one:

A leather pick guard, love it. A b bender never heard of it, watched the video and still don't know how it actually works, which is ok. I got a kick out of the way the people were dancing, it was definitely a dance step of it's time, but it didn't seem to match the country feel of the song. Kind of funny to watch.

Dun Ringill

Shall not be infringed
Reaction score
A leather pick guard, love it. A b bender never heard of it, watched the video and still don't know how it actually works, which is ok. I got a kick out of the way the people were dancing, it was definitely a dance step of it's time, but it didn't seem to match the country feel of the song. Kind of funny to watch.
At the beginning of the song, you can see him push the neck downward. This drives the pitch of the b string up. I can bend up to a whole step. The vid below you can see/hear the interaction between moving the guitar and the pitch change

NRBQ

Reaction score
At the beginning of the song, you can see him push the neck downward. This drives the pitch of the b string up. I can bend up to a whole step. The vid below you can see/hear the interaction between moving the guitar and the pitch change

Interesting video, but it's more than a little frustrating that he says it's all about your pick hand and the b bender, but not one moment of the video actually shows either one. The whole entire time the body of the guitar, the pick hand, and the b bender is not in the frame. Not bagging on the video just noting that a view of the whole guitar would have helped. Thanks for posting it though.

Dun Ringill

Shall not be infringed
Reaction score
Interesting video, but it's more than a little frustrating that he says it's all about your pick hand and the b bender, but not one moment of the video actually hows either one. The whole entire time the body of the guitar, the pick hand, and the b bender is not in the frame. Not bagging on the video just noting that a view of the whole guitar would have helped. Thanks for posting it though.
it is actually there. The top strap peg moves. Every time he pushes the neck down, the pitch goes up on the b string. Here is a pic of the installed unit from the back of a guitar.

1570035818277.png

NRBQ

Reaction score
it is actually there. The top strap peg moves. Every time he pushes the neck down, the pitch goes up on the b string.
OK, could hear it but still couldn't figure out how it was happening. It certainly is a signature sound isn't it.

NRBQ

Reaction score
it is actually there. The top strap peg moves. Every time he pushes the neck down, the pitch goes up on the b string. Here is a pic of the installed unit from the back of a guitar.

View attachment 410897
That's wild, I had no idea it was that involved, way more than meets the eye. That's total badassery.

Dun Ringill

Shall not be infringed
Reaction score
I appreciate you chatting with me, if it weren't for you the thread would be dead in the water. Thanks.
LOL! No prob. @LtDave32 built that guitar and installed the b bender. He may have a better way to explain it. There is a lot of routing that needs to be done to install the unit. A cheap guitar or a new build would likely be the way to go if you want to get one!

Latest Threads