i've created my own bastardized signature model (P90 content!)

chunkomatic

Reaction score
i wanted a P90 equipped LP, not a jr, not a DC, TV, whatever, a real heavy weight LP. i wasn't going to pony up the cash for an R6, so i ordered a set of GFS Mean 90s w/gloss black covers. i couldn't give a rat's ass whether some people think GFS pickups are shit or too low-brow for cork sniffers, they're less than $80 a set and i could live with the mistake at that price point.

long story short, they fucking ROCK. who knew P90s could get so HEAVY. take a listen to these clips and see what you think. this is my JVM and VHT running together into a TASCAM DR-1. quick and dirty recordings, excuse the slop, so on and so forth.

P90 clip #1

P90 clip #2

i've also swapped out some other hardware here and there to give it an edgier look. pickguard, toggle surround, black speed knobs on the volume pots (they're simply the most ergonomic for working the volume, IMO.) and gold reflector top hats on the tone pots because they just look cool.

:slash:

lp_gt_p90_01.jpg

lp_gt_p90_02.jpg

Endless Pain

Reaction score
that certainly is a bastard of a visual change but it sounds great. definitely a one off as far as i've seen and heard.

wedgey

Reaction score
Looks like a Joe Bonamassa with different pickups and the knobs in slightly different positions .... Looks very cool , I like the sound also.

kspeed

Reaction score
Mean 90's are great for the money. The black plastics and pickups look good on the gold top, and I like the rotated toggle switch (did the same thing with my LP's).

djwilbanks

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I can dig it! Looks/sounds sweet. I don't go for the pickup rings being one color and the pickguard another, but if you like it that's all that matters.

Good job! :thumb:

lewddude

Reaction score
No need to pony up for an R6, you got what you need right there, and it's unique! Congrats on a happy ending, now go play!

kspeed

Reaction score
I can dig it! Looks/sounds sweet. I don't go for the pickup rings being one color and the pickguard another, but if you like it that's all that matters.

Good job! :thumb:

Maybe think of it as a three tone design - the rings match the switch tip and binding and, with the two reflector knobs, add a bit of contrast to the black plastics and speed knobs :thumb:

chunkomatic

Reaction score
No need to pony up for an R6, you got what you need right there, and it's unique! Congrats on a happy ending, now go play!

don't get me wrong. if i hadn't just spent $5K on three LPs i would LOVE to have one of those ebony R6s. GORGEOUS guitar you have there. </envy>

lewddude

Reaction score
don't get me wrong. if i hadn't just spent $5K on three LPs i would LOVE to have one of those ebony R6s. GORGEOUS guitar you have there. </envy>

Thanx! Yeah, this one was a must have for me, and I had just bought a classic that I loved when I found this one! I have 3 kids and a mortgage, so both at the same time was not an option. I could have put it on the card, but then what if I need it??? so I paid cash, and sold the classic. Totally made the right choice! P90's ROCK!
DSC02993.jpg

neckdown.jpg

ledt.jpg

EEF13

Reaction score
The Goldtop looks great with the black hardware

ehamady6

Reaction score
I think bastardized LPs are the best. I'm not into off-the-rack LPs -- they've got no personality.
I think all that's original on the Impaler is the wood, paint, and binding!

ehamady6-albums-ehamady6-album-picture10571-impaler.jpg

ehamady6-albums-ehamady6-album-picture10984-etched-metal-toggle-switch-ring.jpg
ehamady6-albums-ehamady6-album-picture9543-impaler-trc.jpg

dennistruckdriver

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ya know, at first, I didn't like it. Upon further reflection, though, you have personalized it to suit yourself, therefore, it is now more YOURS than any other guitar.
I still don't really like it personally, but if I were you, and I really, REALLY liked it like that, I'd leave it the heck alone! There's not another one in the world like that, and even if there were, yours is YOURS!:dude:

(Edit: It needs a real 'retaining wire' tuneomatic.)

chunkomatic

Reaction score
I think bastardized LPs are the best. I'm not into off-the-rack LPs -- they've got no personality.
I think all that's original on the Impaler is the wood, paint, and binding!

ehamady6-albums-ehamady6-album-picture10571-impaler.jpg

ehamady6-albums-ehamady6-album-picture10984-etched-metal-toggle-switch-ring.jpg
ehamady6-albums-ehamady6-album-picture9543-impaler-trc.jpg

I LOVE your custom. if you ever decide to sell, please let me know.

nauc

Reaction score
chunkomatic, that looks and sounds awesome!

Harpozep

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah, everyone has stock ones, Time to personalize! Looks fine to me, and sounds wicked too!
I messed with mine, but it still can go back to stock. I had a neck P90 made to fit the Alnico route in my R4 Custom. Lindy Fralin rocks and made ti no problem. Plus I went 10% over on the bridge pickup. Nice combo. I may go back to the Alnico any time though since I'm feeling having THAT and the 10% over reverse wound bridge pup combo would make it the most versatile P90 machine going.

The reverse wound allows the center position toggle to make the two into a giant humbucker. Great for when that is needed like when a giant hum is a happening.

Shielding can help a little too:
103952337.jpg

103954164.jpg

106046504.jpg

kspeed

Reaction score
Damn it, Harpo! That right there's the R4 that always gets me going! Easily one of my favorite guitars on this forum. Bonus points for having my local boy wind'em :thumb:

Latest Threads