It's time

christopherJ

Reaction score
Take advantage of a no interest for 12 months deal or just save a bit more and get one of these 6lb beauties!:

IMG_4306_zpsaw0zxp6i.jpg

IMG_4170_zpsz0ayqw92.jpg

jaycoyoyo

I would rather be playing guitar.
Reaction score
Right now I'm leaning towards the Custom Lite even though I kind of want something a little different.

I love my Custom Lite, but you're talking yourself out of it. The ES-335 Studio models are pretty reasonable, if you're wanting something new (vs used).

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love my Custom Lite, but you're talking yourself out of it. The ES-335 Studio models are pretty reasonable, if you're wanting something new (vs used).

I'm still considering it. What tonal differences could I achieve with the electronics of the Custom Lite vs my Trad Pro II?

rikko

Reaction score
Rikko says:

An SG or
A TELE!!!

(SERIOUSLY-
Think about getting a Tele!)

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This also might be a newbie question, but how loud can a semi-hollow get when play just acoustically? I've never played a 335 style guitar.

sk8rat

Reaction score
This also might be a newbie question, but how loud can a semi-hollow get when play just acoustically? I've never played a 335 style guitar.

string gauge plays a big factor, the bigger gauge the louder but to be honest acoustically they aren't loud. they are louder than a solid body but not close to how loud full acoustics can be.

you can get an es-339 for around $1700 (or cheaper if you look around) if you are considering a semi hollow. it has the advantage of being les paul sized so it isnt too big of an adjustment and they are very nice looking guitars. I have been wanting one myself.

If you haven't had an sg I should warn you that if variances in guitars affect your playing, switching from a les paul to an sg will probably do so if you play sitting down. the distance from the neck to the curve on the body where you rest the guitar on your leg is different on an sg so it may feel like the neck is shifted a couple frets further away. also there is the matter of neck shape but that obviously varies based on model. after a while you get used to it.

to be honest, If you want something different, I would suggest a telecaster. whole different monster but in a good way.

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
string gauge plays a big factor, the bigger gauge the louder but to be honest acoustically they aren't loud. they are louder than a solid body but not close to how loud full acoustics can be.

you can get an es-339 for around $1700 (or cheaper if you look around) if you are considering a semi hollow. it has the advantage of being les paul sized so it isnt too big of an adjustment and they are very nice looking guitars. I have been wanting one myself.

If you haven't had an sg I should warn you that if variances in guitars affect your playing, switching from a les paul to an sg will probably do so if you play sitting down. the distance from the neck to the curve on the body where you rest the guitar on your leg is different on an sg so it may feel like the neck is shifted a couple frets further away. also there is the matter of neck shape but that obviously varies based on model. after a while you get used to it.

to be honest, If you want something different, I would suggest a telecaster. whole different monster but in a good way.

I've had an SG before and I know what you mean. It feels to me like the neck is significantly longer than an LP. I have a G&L Classic Bluesboy to fill my telecaster void. I can live with one Telecaster but I'm always open to the idea of more LP's in my collection. How much louder can a full hollow body sound acoustically compared to a semi hollow? Another newbie question but I want something that allows me to go from an acoustic sound to a light crunch when plugged in. I don't expect a full hollow body to be as loud as a regular acoustic guitar but if it can be loud without being plugged in then it's something I'd be really interested in.

jaycoyoyo

I would rather be playing guitar.
Reaction score
I'm still considering it. What tonal differences could I achieve with the electronics of the Custom Lite vs my Trad Pro II?

I would say marginal if any. Depends on pickups somewhat, but if you already have 2 LPs, I would go for some variety. Good luck!

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say marginal if any. Depends on pickups somewhat, but if you already have 2 LPs, I would go for some variety. Good luck!

My Trad has no weight relief and has 57 classics. The thinness and the 490/498 pickups on the Custom Lite don't make a big difference?

marco v

Reaction score
SG,
Or a tele(i would buy that)
I would regret buying a lite, but i'm traditional.
But, if you like it....

sk8rat

Reaction score
I've had an SG before and I know what you mean. It feels to me like the neck is significantly longer than an LP. I have a G&L Classic Bluesboy to fill my telecaster void. I can live with one Telecaster but I'm always open to the idea of more LP's in my collection. How much louder can a full hollow body sound acoustically compared to a semi hollow? Another newbie question but I want something that allows me to go from an acoustic sound to a light crunch when plugged in. I don't expect a full hollow body to be as loud as a regular acoustic guitar but if it can be loud without being plugged in then it's something I'd be really interested in.

semi hollows aren't a whole lot louder than solid bodies and full hollows aren't a whole lot louder than semi hollow. unplugged a full hollow electric (es335 style) isnt going to have a rich acoustic sound, it is going to sound more like an unplugged solid body than an acoustic.

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
SG,
Or a tele(i would buy that)
I would regret buying a lite, but i'm traditional.
But, if you like it....

I'm traditional too, but I already have the Trad Pro II. My heart says to go to the lite but my wallet points to a different direction, which is an SG or to hang onto the money lol

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Black 2013 LP Custom Lite was ordered this morning. I was originally going to go with a white one but the black seemed more of a players color. The white looked awesome but it seemed too blinged up for me.

linkpro

Reaction score
I really think the Custom Lite should be in the regular line-up and not a limited/exclusive item (2016 version is exclusive to zZounds). They'd compete nicely with ESP's Eclipse guitars. I have an Eclipse, but had I known about the Lite I'd have gone for it instead. Can't beat that iconic LPC look.

Latest Threads