It's official: Goodbye California.....

Brians Evil Twin

Poophoria Sōtō Zen
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
oregonstatesign.jpg

lunchbox

Reaction score
It was a little different when I got here in '76...

4ec430f2ecad04f00300001b-750.jpg

They didn't do much to encourage folks to stay. LOL!

What part are you in?

My uncle moved his family from Burbank to Sisters back in the late 80’s. They loved it out on that side of the Deschutes.

Someone mentioned Washington... my grandparents lived on Orcas Island from the late 60’s through the mid 90’s. I visited up there back in the 70’s when I was little. Beautiful little islands!

Bluesky

Reaction score
Pretty bad when people move to Oregon to get away from crazy politics, taxes and general nuttiness. It may be cheaper though.
Lets not forget human fieces lined streets.....needles everywhere......... and the occasional 10,000 acre wildfire /earthquake. Seems like the man made disasters top the natural ones.

Cruznolfart

Reaction score
What part are you in?

My uncle moved his family from Burbank to Sisters back in the late 80’s. They loved it out on that side of the Deschutes.

Someone mentioned Washington... my grandparents lived on Orcas Island from the late 60’s through the mid 90’s. I visited up there back in the 70’s when I was little. Beautiful little islands!

I moved from SF to Grants Pass. From suburbia to a cabin and outhouse. Flipped that in 2 years and carried no paper on it. Moved around a little for the first few years but stayed in southern Oregon. Now in a little place called Selma on the Redwood hwy on the way to the coast. We're a few miles off the hiway, out in the boonies. Kids grew up in southern Oregon. One stayed. We're a couple of hours from Eugene and about 90 minutes from the coast. Been in the same spot now for near 18 years and have no intention to leave. It took a lifetime to get here. Frankly, (and I've told the family this)I'd rather die right here than live anywhere else. You may discover a similar contentment.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
One guy on the news wanted to split CA and make the east side a reservation for tribal reservation...

That's a new twist on splitting CA.

lunchbox

Reaction score
I moved from SF to Grants Pass. From suburbia to a cabin and outhouse. Flipped that in 2 years and carried no paper on it. Moved around a little for the first few years but stayed in southern Oregon. Now in a little place called Selma on the Redwood hwy on the way to the coast. We're a few miles off the hiway, out in the boonies. Kids grew up in southern Oregon. One stayed. We're a couple of hours from Eugene and about 90 minutes from the coast. Been in the same spot now for near 18 years and have no intention to leave. It took a lifetime to get here. Frankly, (and I've told the family this)I'd rather die right here than live anywhere else. You may discover a similar contentment.

That’s definitely a beautiful area. I’m not surprised that you’d want to die there.

For us we need a small city/large town. Corvallis is around 55k, which a perfect size for us. Plenty to do, still lots of nature, but you avoid a lot of the big city problems. And most of that population is students that aren’t here year round, so like San Luis Obispo, it can have a small town feel when school is out.

We took a trip up to Salem the other day and, for a bigger city, we really liked it. Clean, historic downtown, natural areas kept in and around it.

So far we really love it up here. It reminds me a lot of what CA was like 30+ years ago.

lunchbox

Reaction score
One guy on the news wanted to split CA and make the east side a reservation for tribal reservation...

That's a new twist on splitting CA.

The best would be the New California movement. It splits the leftist counties on the coast and up the delta to Sacramento off from the rest of the state that is predominantly still red.

El Pablo

Reaction score
No kidding! I'm in current negotiations to buy a piece of land in Selma. Small world! Btw, was ot you that set the Duck restaurant on fire?

Cruznolfart

Reaction score
No kidding! I'm in current negotiations to buy a piece of land in Selma. Small world! Btw, was ot you that set the Duck restaurant on fire?
LOL! We had to cancel a dental appointment that day because of that fire. And good luck with your plan. You probably already know you can't swing a dead cat without hitting 5 growers up here, right? :fingersx:

Cruznolfart

Reaction score
One of California's biggest exports is Californians.

When I first came here in '76 I'd been warned that Californians were generally despised by Oregonians. So, after closing on the property, I registered my vehicles and got OR tags, then returned to California and started the selling process on our home there. That way, when we came, no one would know we were the dreaded Californians.

As we were moving in, my wife and 2 young Sons, all 4 of the neighbors from the closest properties came over to welcome us. They brought food gifts and offers of help and were generally very friendly and warm. They were all about 30 years older than us and had been there for many years. And they were all from California.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
Congrats lunchbox :thumb: . a change of scenery is always a good thing

Stay away from Seattle, it used to be cheap, but we went the same way as California! Mortgage or rent, you need 2 sources of income to pay, which is hard when you're only 1 person!

the same thing that happened to NY is happening / continuing to happen in Seattle right now . the once cool neighborhoods that were made that way , from the artists and musos __ are now being re-populated by the trendy hipster types that want to buy into culture

instead of creating it themselves

in fact . it's happening all over the map . " disturbing " doesn't begin to describe

rockinlespaul

Oxblood Addict
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

I would love to live in the area you are in. Such beautiful country there.

Cruznolfart

Reaction score
I would love to live in the area you are in. Such beautiful country there.

It has been said of our local area, and specifically of Cave Junction, just down the road, that it's like "Deliverance meets The Grateful Dead". It really is beautiful but we've seen lots of folk go through the shock of their first full year here. lol

Latest Threads