It's Decision time for me - Feel free to weigh in.

McDegga

Reaction score
For quite some time, I've been looking for a Les Paul Classic Premium Plus. I've a pretty good idea of what I'm looking for (Highly flamed and an amber burst bordering on the lemon side of things) I'll know it when I see it. Recently, I came across an email from a guy who offered me one a year ago when I had placed an ad looking for one). Our deal never happened because I bought a different guitar altogether. He told me to keep his number and call him if I ever wanted it. So, I called him and he agreed to sell it to me. This morning before heading out to meet him (It's a several hour round-trip) I decided to verify what I was travelling hours to buy, and I'm glad I did. He has a 1992 Les Paul Classic 1960's (The one which says 'Les paul Moden' instead of 'Les Paul Classic' on the headstock. Looks like a '59 Burst)

I love a 60's neck, and prefer a more highly flamed body. I know there's value in these as people make their own clones of Bursts since the headstock reads correctly. My ultimate goal is a Les Paul Classic Premium Plus as described above. Will this deal (at $2200) help or hurt me?

Also, this is a ticking timebomb as I have a long drive and need a decision before 1:30 est. as he's on a road-trip. Talk about pressure!

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions, I don't mind flipping the guitar if I have to. I'm not in a rush.

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m a bit bad to ask because I love classics and said I would buy them…
However, you can get a brand new classic for $2000…

-Chris

McDegga

Reaction score
I know. It's not the same at the guitar I want, which is a 90's era Les Paul Classic Premium Plus. I've played both new and old. I prefer old. It's just me.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
If it's a nicely flamed '92 offer $1800-2000 cash, but only if it has a stiff neck and is really close to the color you want. With model on the headstock, non-snot colored inlays, and a real ABR-1 bridge, it actually does have great specs and is old enough to be as alive as it'll ever get.

McDegga

Reaction score
Ekim, spot on. However, if someone will pay me more for it, then I don't mind waiting a bit longer, so that has to weigh in on the equation for me.
Pics of guitar in question.

XpensiveWino

Reaction score
From a purely non-emotional standpoint (I'm a50's neck guy, so Classics are largely ignored by me), I think $2200 is far too much. I know the older ones carry some additional financial weight, but I think you'll be starting in the hole from an investment/flip standpoint.

If you get there and love it, and it's *THE* one, well then what's a couple hundred more for the guitar of a lifetime?

You have to decide.

McDegga

Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate the perspective. I know it is not the ONE. Of that, I'm sure. These original 60's models which say model hold some additional value. It's just a financial question, and I think y'all have answered it. Cool. The search continues.

MoJoe77

Reaction score
I'm sure you've decided already but I personally don't see an omg deal there for the Classic. You aren't going to make much if anything on a flip you will most likely lose on the sale. The market is severely flooded I feel and with tax now added on reverb selling has become even tougher.

Wait for wait you want, you never know what you're buying until you get there, way too much risk for all that travel time. Just my two cents.

jstarr823

Reaction score
That top... meh. Nothing about that guitar says $2200 to me. But then, who knows? Maybe it’s the ultimate player. Otherwise, I’ve seen WAY better examples (same vintage). Probably irrelevant at this point.

McDegga

Reaction score
Agreed on everything above. I decided on passing on that instrument for all the reasons that you mentioned and more. I ended up pulling the trigger on another guitar I’ve been looking at and it should be here in a couple of days. As soon as I get it, expect the obligatory NGD post.

Razzle

Reaction score
Yea, that's the guitar I've been looking at, an amber 91-93. I don't think they ever made lemons in those days (ahem, excuse the pun). They have recent lemons but they're all plain tops, which I'm like you I want it figured. I've seen the early 90's ambers, ya gotta be patient on the top, they varied alot in those days imo.

I'd love that guitar, but wouldn't pay the 2200 for it. I passed up a very nice one for 2000, offered 1800 (it wasn't as nice as yours) but he didn't go (I think he was gonna but got a better offer, cool).

Have a 93 Classic Plus and LOVE the neck.

McDegga

Reaction score
Again, thank you. I ended up skipping up a Les Paul premium plus which is really what I wanted. It’s a 95, but looks stunning in my eyes. Can’t wait to get it in my hands and play it!

scozz

Reaction score
I don’t understand,.... “knowing it’s not the one”,.... before playing it, holding it, smelling it!

Just by the appearance?!