It's all about the combination

Zenatty1

Reaction score
Recently, i tinkered with the idea of selling a guitar of mine...an Epiphone Les Paul... The stock pickups sounded ok, but not what I wanted. I removed them and put Suhr Aldrich pickups in it... didn't do it for me... I put in vintage Dimarzio's (removed from a '78 GLP Custom)... still didn't do it for me... i tried one more time with Gibson Burstbucker 1&3 set- BINGO! perfect combination for this guitar!

Same was true months back with my 1999 Heritage H150 CM w/ ebony board... stock Schaller's didn't do it, Bare Knuckle Miracle Man's didn't do it, Rio Grande BBQ set didn't do it, but the Bare Knuckle Rebel Yell's made it outstanding!

I think that each guitar has a voice that when you find the right set of pickups it just transforms into something magical... just my .02 ...hope you guys and gals are finding your tone- thanks, Mark

Dun Ringill

Shall not be infringed
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed!! Nothing better than finding the sweet spot. It's like getting a new guitar.

refin

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I had a Nady pedal with a 12AX7 in it (early '80s).
I was excited,I thought this will wake up my solid state amps and KILL my tube amps.
It sounded......HORRIBLE......through every amp but my '59 Bassman.This was a marriage,total sweet touch-sensitive nirvana.I could play everything I imagined.
So......I sold it.....okay,I'm an idiot.:laugh2:

tonka.boy333

Reaction score
I must have lucked out. I found "Christine" on the rack at GC. No mods to her voice. She's perfect as is!

Not so much with the Squire Strat. :dude: She got the mods.

HotDan!

Reaction score
Recently, i tinkered with the idea of selling a guitar of mine...an Epiphone Les Paul... The stock pickups sounded ok, but not what I wanted. I removed them and put Suhr Aldrich pickups in it... didn't do it for me... I put in vintage Dimarzio's (removed from a '78 GLP Custom)... still didn't do it for me... i tried one more time with Gibson Burstbucker 1&3 set- BINGO! perfect combination for this guitar!

Same was true months back with my 1999 Heritage H150 CM w/ ebony board... stock Schaller's didn't do it, Bare Knuckle Miracle Man's didn't do it, Rio Grande BBQ set didn't do it, but the Bare Knuckle Rebel Yell's made it outstanding!

I think that each guitar has a voice that when you find the right set of pickups it just transforms into something magical... just my .02 ...hope you guys and gals are finding your tone- thanks, Mark

Just one simple comment here...Your pickups are only as good as the electronics and hardware that you surround them with. Bottom line is...good stuff in...good stuff out... :hmm:

Zenatty1

Reaction score
Just one simple comment here...Your pickups are only as good as the electronics and hardware that you surround them with. Bottom line is...good stuff in...good stuff out... :hmm:

True that- I also replaced the selector switch, total 50's wiring harness
with PIO Russian caps, output jack, Sperzel locking tuners, new Gotoh bridge...and a black tusk nut...

btw the harness and switch came from Toneman Guitar! Excellent stuff (have it in three, soon to be four guitars) Bourns pots etc...

MrJudd77

Reaction score
Just about to get a new partner in my orgy. Blackstar HT-5rs is on its way.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I put a JB in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck of my new Classic-T, where it sounds totally smooth and clear now. Loving the tone. :thumb:

Alty

Reaction score
It's a marriage.....same with pedals,amps,ect.

Don't forget Strings, as they can change things too, I'm up to about 5 different sets now on my Acoustic and each set has their own sound, it can be a pain though testing different ones as it is time consuming but a cheap 'mod' which is worth noting.

Going to try some Hybrids next, then some with all the same tension, then hopefully I'll have a better idea of what set I want to make up to use full time.

:)

Paulie C

Reaction score
I put a JB in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck of my new Classic-T, where it sounds totally smooth and clear now. Loving the tone. :thumb:

Seymore Duncan makes a bunch of great sounding pick ups. I did do the whole 50's wiring upgrade along with the PU swap, so improvement is not solely the PU's, but it gave the axe a quantum leap in tone. If you bide your time, a set can be found pretty reasonable. I found my Seth custom shops on ebay for $150, worth every penny!

matiac

Reaction score
I have indeed! A pair of Manlius (Manlius Guitar Pickups - Syracuse NY) "Landmark PAF" A2 for neck, A5 for bridge, period-correct coil wire, cloth covered lead(s) "Double-White" set up has literally transformed my Elitist Les Paul Standard Plus Top, along with CTS 500k long-shaft volume/tone pots, caps are .022bridge/.015(?)neck, cloth covered wiring, it's almost a P90-ish growl driven, nice articulate clean tone(s), which were attainable with the stock stuff, just had to work a little harder to achieve it. Coupled with a Digitech RP250, into a Behringer GX212, it don't sound too shabby at all! I've basically been chasing for years the tone this guitar has now...only had one other guitar that even came close to this, now sadly gone...
tnlespaul_zps6be13ac5.jpg

Latest Threads