Italian Job - 1959 Replica (Pearly Gates)

jwinger

Reaction score
I've had this 'Italian Job' replica with original otpg pickups a while now but haven't really done a video. This particular one is known as 'the dorset burst' or 'pearly' within the replica circle. I don't know where it acquired the first nick name from, but the second is due to the top and colour being loosely based on pearly gates. Unlike some of the 'inspired by' bursts the builder made however, this wasn't made with that particular original in his hands, but rather based upon sort of classic/mid point measurements from other bursts that passed the builders way over the years. Weights about 8.75 lbs.

Firstly, are the pickups worth the hype!? Absolutely in my opinion! Really right there with the vintage PAFs in my other replica. This set measure 8.3k bridge and 7.9k neck. Not sure of the mags, but they feel like A4.

As for how good the replicas are. Well, I've been lucky enough to play a good few 50s Les Pauls including a few bursts. This hangs there with the best of the vintage examples I've tried. To put it into perspective...I recently got a 54GT. I took my 54 Italian Job replica along to a/b to any potentials. Only 1 out of 4 original 50s GTs I played on that search would measure up to it. And so that's the one I went with...but that's another story for another day.

Anyway very low volume here using phone as mic so take it with a pinch of salt, but actually it doesn't do too bad a job.

Amp is a high power 40watt 6l6 speed shop tweed deluxe modified for a blackface tonestack. Speaker is Fane a60. A little drive from a Jan Ray.

Last edited:

MCT

Reaction score
Glorious. And kudos on the Fane speaker- I’m a huge Fane fan.

jwinger

Reaction score
Glorious. And kudos on the Fane speaker- I’m a huge Fane fan.
They are just great! I use a Rawson Fane Crescendo clone with another amp also, which is equally good

Brek

Reaction score
I have the word out I am in the market, not heard anything back yet. Thanks for the demo.

Brek

Reaction score
yes, I have sold two of my heard already. it dawned on me that whislt its cool as **** having loads of guitars, given I have only two hands its makes little sense. The R8 I sold i haven't played in weeks, sounded bloody good though.

One good guitar, I am going to be very very picky, and if they don't give me something more than what i have tried already will walk away. investment is not my aim, I just want a good example of the type. I hear that most of the woods used are of similar age to the original 50's made ones. Of course provenance is going to be interesting, anyone started faking the replicas yet?

jwinger

Reaction score
yes, I have sold two of my heard already. it dawned on me that whislt its cool as **** having loads of guitars, given I have only two hands its makes little sense. The R8 I sold i haven't played in weeks, sounded bloody good though.

One good guitar, I am going to be very very picky, and if they don't give me something more than what i have tried already will walk away. investment is not my aim, I just want a good example of the type. I hear that most of the woods used are of similar age to the original 50's made ones. Of course provenance is going to be interesting, anyone started faking the replicas yet?
That's definitely the right approach...one great guitar is all you really need. Re faking the replicas, I don't know about that but I've certainly seen examples of replicas being sold claiming to be built a particular builder that in fact aren't...I don't know whether intentional or not but...

Brek

Reaction score
seen a nice looking stig recently. don't know if they go to the lengths SC did with sourcing old wood.

greens

Reaction score
Just wondering, why is the builder's identity still obscured if he is deceased?

Adinol

Reaction score
I thought it was against the forum rules to post about replicas and counterfeits.

jimmyjames

Reaction score
Not playing authentic? I like to keep it Super Real meself...

jwinger

Reaction score
I thought it was against the forum rules to post about replicas and counterfeits.
Don't believe so...they just have to be in the right section, which I think this is :)

greens

Reaction score
Just wondering, why is the builder's identity still obscured if he is deceased?
It think I got it . . he is "deceased" if you are JC Curleigh . . . but you can get in touch if you know the right psychic ;)

Latest Threads