It was so thirsty

Wesner477

Reaction score
Bought a ‘20 60’s Standard last week. I’m in love! It’s obvious where I purchased it. I had them do a setup on it so I wouldn’t need to fiddle much with it. They did an awesome job! My only gripe with the guitar was how dry the finger board was. It was so dry that my microfiber rag would actually catch on it. I used Gibson’s fretboard conditioner sucked that up so fast that I changed to F-ONE oil. Took 2 applications to get hi how it should be. Anyone else have this problem or is it supposed to ship dry like that? Thank you in advance. And she looks way better in person!!
8EB8363E-6009-4A5C-82C6-7E77A37C383C.jpeg

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
Doesn’t seem uncommon these days. Fill her up and enjoy!

bblooz

Reaction score
First of all - congrats on your awesome new Lester! Rosewood is supposed to be slightly oily naturally, so she must have been stored in a really dry environment. Try some lemon oil or one of the fret board conditioners available at Stewmac.com to get that board re-hydrated.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2019 and 2020 necks were the same way.

Normally, I'm in the "less is more" camp on oiling, and NEVER allow the stuff to actually puddle or "soak in"
But on these three necks... Ya... I slopped on enough to form a small pool between frets, rubbed it in with my finger, and let it rest for a few minutes before wiping down, then repeated.

dmac in SC

Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of mine, ( and includes other brands, makes, shapes and models) have arrived dry...but damn, that is one incredibly beautiful lester..Seriously

Bud Stoner

Something Something Jedi...
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2020 Flying V had a very dry finger board on it.

After three treatments of Howards Wax and Feed, it darkened up nicely.

I guess they all come dry, but doing the set up and conditioning the board is just a part of the bonding process that I enjoy when I get a new guitar.
IMG_0952.jpeg

Last edited:

Benniator

Reaction score
It’s common among Gibsons. My 60’s Standard’s fretboard was bone dry and grey when I got it last year. I applied some FastFret and it turned a dark chocolate brown and hasn’t needed conditioning since.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have only experience of 5 or 6 new bought les Paul’s, and all but one were bought when I knew nothing about such things, so cannot comment on them except the two page’s which seemed fine. Nice dark fretboards. My R0 which is the last new guitar I bought seemed ok, I used a bit of bore oil on it and it didn’t drain away. So wiped it off.

Sinster

Reaction score

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do what EVH did.. let the oils from your fingers condition the fretboard.
That's all many of us did for many years.
It was probably the mid 90s before I found out I was supposed to oil them.

afjungemann

Reaction score
My 2020 Flying V had a very dry finger board on it.

After three treatments of Howards Wax and Feed, it darkened up nicely.

I guess they all come dry, but doing the set up and conditioning the board is just a part of the bonding process that I enjoy when I get a new guitar.
View attachment 505757
Don't be so sly... posting a bitching guitar like this with zero specs. Tell us more!

Bud Stoner

Something Something Jedi...
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't be so sly... posting a bitching guitar like this with zero specs. Tell us more!

LOL! Ok, here are the specs:

It's a limited edition exclusive to zZounds and AMS.

I love the satin olive drab finish, and it has 490 R/T pickups, aluminum bridge and tailpiece, light as a feather and it has a Tele-ish spank to it.

I replaced the black tophat knobs, switch tip and pickup rings with gold speed knobs, an amber historic switch tip and cream rings.

On the site it says it comes with a gig bag but nope, you get the hardshell case made in Costa Rica.

The finish on the neck glossed up nicely after playing it a while. And the standard keystone tuners are a nice touch.

I top wrapped the strings so the tailpiece is down nice and low and aside from the factory not soldering the tailpiece ground wire to the control circuit, it was just bang on.

It's just a freaking cool guitar and I'm glad I grabbed one.

Last edited:

Apache Crumb

Reaction score
Too much oil is not a good thing also. You can actually soften the fingerboard glue. You oiled it, let it alone for a while now [like 6 months]. Then use "boiled linseed oil" once a year. Linseed oil needs immediate wipe off after application to prevent hardening but it's Best oil out there for fingerboards and cost like $8.00 a pint at Home Depot or Lowes. I use a light guitar lemon oil once in a while too.

Latest Threads