It never brains in Southern California

SKATTERBRANE

Banned
Reaction score
LAPD makes it easier for illegal immigrant drivers | 89.3 KPCC

Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck announced Monday that his officers will no longer automatically tow the cars of illegal immigrant drivers stopped at sobriety checkpoints.

The policy comes in response to the concerns of Latino civil rights activists, who say impound fees are unfairly costing otherwise hardworking illegal immigrant drivers hundreds of dollars.

Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck said his department impounds about 1,000 cars a year from illegal immigrants at sobriety checkpoints – not because they’re drunk but because they don’t have driver’s licenses.

“As we reviewed our impound policies it became obvious to me that they had disparate impact on individuals based on something that was entirely out of their control," Beck said.

California doesn’t issue driver’s licenses to undocumented immigrants.

Under the new policy, officers will give unlicensed illegal immigrants “reasonable time” to find someone else to drive their cars home.

“No longer will these checkpoints have an adverse impact on somebody merely because of their (immigration) status," Beck said. "The sad truth is that the people who were most impacted by this law were the people that could afford it the least.”

The chief said unlicensed U.S. citizens and legal residents stopped at checkpoints will also be allowed “reasonable time” to find someone else to drive their car home.

Critics of Beck's policy have said undocumented immigrants are not supposed to be in the United States in the first place, and should not be driving.

Latino civil rights activists hailed the Beck’s decision.

"I think that in the course of time he will be acknowledged as a great police chief and a very wise man because this is the right thing to do," said Juan Jose Gutierrez of Vamos Unidos U.S.A.

Gutierrez said some cities - including Bell - target undocumented drivers for impounds as a revenue source. He and other Latino activists called on those cities to also change their impound policies.

Beck called it "the right thing to do."

bertzie

Reaction score
Can't we just kick California out of the union all together? Would save us a lot of trouble.

Fracture

Reaction score
So documented, tax paying, insurance carrying, employed average citizens get arrested for DUI, have their vehicle impounded, spend $15k on defense, counseling, and lose their privileges for up to 1 year?
Am I correct so far?
Makes perfect sense.

ext1jdh

Reaction score
The chief said unlicensed U.S. citizens and legal residents stopped at checkpoints will also be allowed “reasonable time” to find someone else to drive their car home.

So long as they drive the car back to the country the illegal immigrant came from, I'm all for it.

California laws may be different, but how can they have the title for a car (or a loan on it) without a DL? in IL you need to register the title with the state, and that requires a drivers license. So are they driving a car that is not legally owned by them as well?

V Man

Reaction score
Where are they getting insurance without a license?

JMV

Reaction score
So long as they drive the car back to the country the illegal immigrant came from, I'm all for it.

California laws may be different, but how can they have the title for a car (or a loan on it) without a DL? in IL you need to register the title with the state, and that requires a drivers license. So are they driving a car that is not legally owned by them as well?

Much of the time, yes. Often the cars are stolen or just paid for in cash. Most likely not registered, inspected, or insured either.

ext1jdh

Reaction score
Much of the time, yes. Often the cars are stolen or just paid for in cash. Most likely not registered, inspected, or insured either.

....huh, also illegal....

Socal is weird.

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It's a free for all here in Houston too. The common experience... And it's pretty common, happened to a couple of people I know, including myself... Is to get in a wreck with an illegal alien, and then have the cops do next to nothing. Often all of their ID is fake, and after being allowed to leave (Since cops won't arrest them based on citizen status) you're out of luck.

I got hit on my motorcycle by an illegal alien (He mentioned his status to a hispanic bystander, and I know enough spanish to know what he said) that ran a stop sign. He fled the scene before the cops showed up, but multiple witnesses got his plate #, which proved to be stolen. Nothing could be done. My bike was totaled, and even the cops said I was out of luck. Nice.

WAY too many holes in our system that allow illegal aliens to function without fear in our society, but allow them to skate free when they're involved in an accident or other problems with the law.

JMV

Reaction score
Skin's absolutely right. FAR too many holes in the system.

As long as I live here, you can bet I'll have coverage on MY insurance for being hit by an uninsured driver.

b-squared

Banned
Reaction score
I'd like to see Mr. Gutierrez and his Vamos Unidos help all of the "undocumented workers" to leave the country...that would be the "right thing to do" as well.

Silliest thing I've ever heard...almost.

BB

Sinmastah

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If you don't have a license, your car should get towed automatically. Period.

Dr.Distortion

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You don't need a license to regester a car in Calif... All you need is I.D.

duck2k

Reaction score
Stupid - that's all I have to say about that!:io:

Latest Threads