It has begun

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
20180722_205230.jpg

I got it started...sanded out the headstock and then realized the handle was about 2 feet too long. NO WAY was I gonna cut the headstock off and redo it so I drilled the rivet out of the shaft, pulled the handle out of the head and cut that end off and reshaped it. I would have finished it tonight but I broke 3 drill bits trying to drill holes in the shovel for the strings. Taking it to my buddys metal fab shop tomorrow and using a drill press.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
You do realize that the shovel is hardened steel, don't you?
Yes..... I thought slowly and carefully might still work... it did not. If my forge was slightly larger I would heat it and drift the holes

SGeoff

Reaction score
a blues shovel will sound good on that:cool2:

redjunior

Ooooh, the colors....
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gonna be a beotch to make the holes..... but I'm diggin' it...:cool2:

Seasick Steve would be proud.:cheers2:

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Got it wired up finally. The pickup is taped on so oncebthat is mounted it is done. I have been playing it. ...... very badly.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
OK I need some advice. I am clueless about tuning this thing. I want to learn ONE song on it. No idea what song but has to be slide. So whats the best tuning with no real measured scale length. The cigar box I played was GDG.... but that was a fret board and was noted. Any advice would be appreciated.