It’s become quiet around Fulltone

Mike J.

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I remember some years ago, Fulltone was “The boutique benchmark”. My dream was an entire Fulltone board, which later came true. In the beginning I was flashed - this was another league compared to my regular Ibanez TS, but soon I realized that Mike’s pedals aren’t made for me.I missed something in every pedal. I’ve tried the entire line and with some pedals I just couldn’t understand the concept.

It seems that it has become very quiet around Fulltone. No real innovation, no new products, except of 1-2 variations on already existing pedals in the Fulltone range.

How about you - are you still into Mike’s pedals and which one do you still play?

I played his stuff life, used it for approximately 50 gigs and wasn’t let down by the quality - it’s definitely road worthy.

rxbandit

Reaction score
I use a Fulltone Supa Trem 2 and an OCD, really like both.

Rich

Non sequitur
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't own any Fulltone pedals but I've been curious about a few over the years but know that they have a top shelf reputation. There are a good number of other great companies building pedals; my two favorites are Analogman and Foxrox as I've been very happy with what I've bought from them and what they produce simply works for me. That doesn't mean I don't buy pedals from other companies though, I love the Boss CE-2 chorus and the Catalinbread pedals I have. I also have a bunch of various old/vintage pedals that I like.

It's good to buy pedals that you have found that you like so it makes a lot of sense to look into them first, but I wouldn't limit myself any particular company. That is, go with whatever ones produce the sounds you like and look durable.

I already have too many pedals, more than I can realistically use, but I haven't looked into Fulltone in a while and will check out their website after I post this just to get me gassing again. :D

Deathray

Reaction score
I have a Clyde Deluxe Wah, an OCD, and a Robin Trower Overdrive. I think the OCD v2 currently sees the most use. The Clyde is great, but not an “always on” type of pedal. The RTO is great for my strat. It fattens the midrange, nicely.

jaycoyoyo

I would rather be playing guitar.
Premium Member
Reaction score
I imagine they still sell shitloads of their pedals. Maybe no need to branch out.

Bogmonster

Reaction score
I have a number of Fulltone pedals on my board and I absolutely love them! They're built like a tank. They all have their own thing going on. The OCD has been on my board for years and is my main drive. It would take something really special to knock it off.

I have a Fulldrive 2 Mosfet and I'm considering the FD-3. And their new Ranger looks very interesting too.

Les Paulverizer

Reaction score
Only two days ago I acquired a Fulltone GT-500, I took it for a long ride this morning and it’s a wonderful pedal.
So far I’ve had a Fulldrive2 and a MOSFET version, both terrific pedals, and the GT-500 is right up there with those and with the best of the rest as it’s incredibly warm sounding, dynamic, with very little floor noise, built like a proverbial tank(!), plus I love the “2 in 1/Boost + Distortion”concept and the fact that you can choose the order of the two: super versatile too.
I’d also like to mention that a friend of mine has a Fulltone 70s Fuzz, he’s a fuzz connoisseur and he reckons that the Fulltone is as good as they come.

tolm

Bigsby Junkie
Reaction score
I’ve just bought one of the new Custom Shop Germanium OCD pedals and I’m hugely impressed. Had a standard one a few years back - which I did really like but was a little too ”hard” sounding for my general use. This one has just a little bit of a softer edge to the tone which I really like. Running it in HP mode and it’s kicked my Box of Rock off the board - same great Brit-style overdrive but more gain on tap if I need it.

But then, apparently this is what the original OCD circuit had so not sure what (if any!!) point I’m proving here ...

Dblgun

Reaction score
Anyone tried their tape echos? Mike makes both tube and solid state tape echos and I was thinking about picking one up.

sonar

Reaction score
Mike can be a little prickly, especially if you volunteer feedback that isn't a fanboy rave. Maybe he's stopped being public facing and is letting the name brand speak for itself?

I've owned a few of his offerings and none really did it for me. Too transparent or just lacking something.

The one pedal that seems to get a lot of love are the OCD iterations, which I might take a flyer on someday.

Les Paulverizer

Reaction score
This post has brought to the fore an interesting issue, which is that companies are almost forced to come up with new products otherwise people think there must something wrong if they don't, and they start viewing that company as being "stale".
It's quite ridiculous really: a company comes out with a product which is absolutely great then, because of the aforementioned situation, they are forced to either come up with updates over updates or something totally new, then few years down the line the original product becomes sought after on the 2nd hand market, people rave about it, how much superior it was compared to the current offerings (admittedly in certain rare cases that might be true...?) so the same company promptly (and I don't blame them) comes up with a faithful "reissue" for which people are willing to spend a little fortune, only because...that's how it is.
I totally agree that moving forward is the way to go, with technology and everything else, and of course what we know now is much more than we knew only few years ago, in almost every field, innovation should be welcomed with open arms, however I see this situation as quite ridiculous, but that's what people want, however it's worth pointing out that the vast majority of those guys are, at best, (and I don't mean any disrespect here) weekend warriors if not bedroom/lounge heroes.
A case in point is the GT-500 I mentioned a while ago which is an original grey one, however on a lot of forums I read how "the red ones are much better blah blah blah"; frankly, I do NOT hear that much of a difference and all we need is a cat somewhere cutting a great album with a grey GT-500 and we all know what would happen: "yeah, those grey ones are so much better, they're grittier, silkier, way more organic (that word!) a rawer, I WANT ONE, actually no, I NEED ONE!".
However, if Mike Fuller hadn't come up with a red version, some people would've started thinking that he was idle, resting on his laurels, his company's really boring even, and they would've started seeing his products as less & less interesting.
It's a fact.

Tanner

Reaction score
I've had a Fulldrive 2 mosfet on my board for almost 8 years now, still one of my favorite pedals. While I don't use it as my primary dirt pedal anymore, it sounds great behind a big muff to give it a little more top end bite

Rich

Non sequitur
Premium Member
Reaction score
This post has brought to the fore an interesting issue, which is that companies are almost forced to come up with new products otherwise people think there must something wrong if they don't, and they start viewing that company as being "stale".
It's quite ridiculous really: a company comes out with a product which is absolutely great then, because of the aforementioned situation, they are forced to either come up with updates over updates or something totally new, then few years down the line the original product becomes sought after on the 2nd hand market, people rave about it, how much superior it was compared to the current offerings (admittedly in certain rare cases that might be true...?) so the same company promptly (and I don't blame them) comes up with a faithful "reissue" for which people are willing to spend a little fortune, only because...that's how it is.
I totally agree that moving forward is the way to go, with technology and everything else, and of course what we know now is much more than we knew only few years ago, in almost every field, innovation should be welcomed with open arms, however I see this situation as quite ridiculous, but that's what people want, however it's worth pointing out that the vast majority of those guys are, at best, (and I don't mean any disrespect here) weekend warriors if not bedroom/lounge heroes.
A case in point is the GT-500 I mentioned a while ago which is an original grey one, however on a lot of forums I read how "the red ones are much better blah blah blah"; frankly, I do NOT hear that much of a difference and all we need is a cat somewhere cutting a great album with a grey GT-500 and we all know what would happen: "yeah, those grey ones are so much better, they're grittier, silkier, way more organic (that word!) a rawer, I WANT ONE, actually no, I NEED ONE!".
However, if Mike Fuller hadn't come up with a red version, some people would've started thinking that he was idle, resting on his laurels, his company's really boring even, and they would've started seeing his products as less & less interesting.
It's a fact.
Truth.

I would also add the Du Jour Factor - players start obessing about a new effect (usually some sort of dirt box) for whatever reason and suddenly it's on the gotta have it list. Repeat.

sonar

Reaction score
Sure. Pedals are an easy market for "new" product launches. Unfortunately the previous model/version isn't missed until it's discontinued.

I like to think modern builders (at least the ones I care about) are doing redesigns for features and tone tweaking. Even if they stray from the original or try to reinvent the wheel they are still offering quality...

it's when they go lowest common denominator and/or try to cut costs when you mostly see crap. This practice isn't always easily identified.

Like them or not Fulltone pedals are pretty solid builds.

StubbyJ

Reaction score
I've found the OCD V3 to be stellar at boosting a marshall and stacking "perfectly" with a TS in front of a clean amp.

Bogmonster

Reaction score
I find this to be very true. I've seen so many videos of the differences between OCD versions. I don't hear the difference that some claim. I guarantee that most couldn't tell the difference blindfolded. I think mine is a 1.4 (not sure though) but it sounds absolutely brilliant! And I think that's one of the least preferred. I just don't hear the "night and day" difference people claim. But that's just me. I'm sure I'd be very satisfied with any version.

I've always been interested in the GT-500 as well. They seem really versatile.

Les Paulverizer

Reaction score
I find this to be very true. I've seen so many videos of the differences between OCD versions. I don't hear the difference that some claim. I guarantee that most couldn't tell the difference blindfolded. I think mine is a 1.4 (not sure though) but it sounds absolutely brilliant! And I think that's one of the least preferred. I just don't hear the "night and day" difference people claim. But that's just me. I'm sure I'd be very satisfied with any version.

I've always been interested in the GT-500 as well. They seem really versatile.
They're basically cork sniffers who for the most part couldn't really tell the difference between cork and cork, but give 'em what they want; why not?
I mingle with various professional musicians and let me tell you that even though one has to know what works and what doesn't work, what your needs are and what is there that will satisfy your needs, and you have to know your gear, and some folks are indeed very knowledgeable, still "geeky cork sniffers' are very rare to find.
I give you an example: I see that your avatar has Gary Moore. Everyone knows that he owned one of the most sought after Les Paul's, the '59 one Peter Green sold to him a long time ago for very little money and which exchanged hands for a lot of money(!) when he had to part with it; well, very few people know that he actually fitted a set of Sperzel locking tuners to it, something which a cork sniffer would never do as it "devalues" the guitar, however when this guy asked him why he did it, Gary replied "because I have to keep the bloody thing in tune!" That, my friend, explains everything.
And yes, the GT-500, any version, is indeed a truly wonderful piece of gear, I've had it for a week now and I know that it's a keeper for life and I can't wait to bring it to a session, and use it live!!!

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
The Fulltone Plimsoul would be nearly a perfect pedal to me, if only the 2nd gain stage was footswitchable. Some magic going on in that one. One day I might replace my OCD clone with the real deal. Great pedal.