Issue with Aniline Dye

ejendres

Reaction score
hey guys. I have a yellow stained Tele body with 6 coats of oil on it. It’s been a week since my last coat of oil and I was doing a little wet sanding. I noticed a ton of yellow was coming up as a sanded.

When I wipe the body with a damp cloth yellow comes up on the cloth. Any idea why this is happening? Is the solution more oil? It’s a pity because the finish is exactly where i want it from a look perspective

BPW666

Reaction score
What sort of oil are you using? I've finished a stained guitar with tru oil before and that can defiantly interact with the dye. I found the trick was to get a few light coats on quickly, let it dry before building more heavy coats. Any oil finish will be very thin compared to traditional lacquer so trying to level sand it is asking for sand throughs. If you want a high gloss finish with it you need a really really flat surface under it, even more than lacquer as it won't build much thickness to fill imperfections.
I only managed high gloss on the peg head. Rather than wet sanding most of the guitar i used very fine 3M scotch bright pads (wire wool is standard but makes a mess) then applied a paste wax and polished it up. That gave a nice satin gloss.

B. Howard

Reaction score
Oils is lifting out the dye. Most dyes will reactivate with oil finish. A "self sealing" (not like an actual sealer!) stain like minwax typically works better with a rubbed or wiped oil finish.