Is 'vintage retro-fitting' Norlin Les Pauls a thing now?

1981 LPC

Reaction score
Oh god please no, make the hurting stop.

FYI - read the description on YT.

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
i just hope he typed it on his phone

ARandall

Reaction score
First time I've seen this. Its sort of like an HM for a guitar but in reverse....taking it further from what it was originally

With it still having a volute, short tenon and maple neck, I can't see any logic in it at all.

scozz

Reaction score
I don’t get it.....what am I missing?

Rob the Photog

Reaction score
Forgive me, I wasn't able to watch with the volume up so I probably missed some stuff (I did read the description), but did anyone else notice the eff’d up string spacing?

Spacing looks poor all around, but especially on the unwound strings. You’d think that detail would be painfully obvious when playing.

Anybody else notice the giant divot behind the first fret on the treble side? Judging from the tall shadow cast by the fret, it looks like a significant amount of wood is missing. Oddly, the rest of the fretboard looks fine.

Lastly, it looks like the fretboard binding nibs are gone, and the fret ends have just been rounded out as-is. I’m guessing that’s not the result of a refret, since I would expect new frets to be cut over the binding unless they were desperately trying to save the nibs (that’s obviously not the case here since the nibs are nonexistent). Perhaps this was a side effect of this ill-conceived refin?

I’m sure there’s more that I missed, but the 2 fretboard issues are big problems in my opinion. At least the string spacing could be fixed easily, if one was so inclined to try to salvage that poor Custom. Who knows, but it probably looked good as a tobacco burst, too. :(

Last edited:

somebodyelseuk

Reaction score
There were very good reasons why Tokai and Yamaha sold a lot of guitars during the late '70s/early '80s and why 50s LPs soared in value... but I guess you had to be there?

Does he say whether it's a 24.6" scale or one of the infamous 24.75" 'transition' modles?

grumphh_the_banned_one

Reaction score
I don't get it either, what is there to be upset about?

If you read the video description the guitar was a wreck and the guy just restored it to what it should be - there is no trying to make it look like a different model or anything like that going on...

So once again, where is the problem exactly?

1981 LPC

Reaction score
Grumph, the description has been altered since I linked this video in my first post. There was some annoying dribble about 'bringing it closer to vintage spec'. One thing I remember was the owner having reshaped the maple cap. Can't remember the rest of it.

grumphh_the_banned_one

Reaction score
Grumph, the description has been altered since I linked this video in my first post. There was some annoying dribble about 'bringing it closer to vintage spec'. One thing I remember was the owner having reshaped the maple cap. Can't remember the rest of it.
Fair enough, because as is i see no reason to be upset at the vid. :)

..in any case, when you have a guitar that is in reality a goner (as he describes it, cap split away from the body and deep gouges in the top), i don't really care what people do to it - it's not like he has taken a pristine 70's guitar and tried to make it look like an old one for no reason at all...

Latest Threads