Is this truly an ‘Inspired By’ issue?

cliffenstein

Reaction score
It's an Epiphone Inspired By 1955 Les Paul from a few years ago, not one of the new Inspired By Gibson models...it has a super thick neck (awesome) and an ebony fretboard, but does feature the old Epi headstock.

Roxy13

Reaction score
It's an Epiphone Inspired By 1955 Les Paul from a few years ago, not one of the new Inspired By Gibson models...it has a super thick neck (awesome) and an ebony fretboard, but does feature the old Epi headstock.
This.

They did call it an Inspired by 1955. When I was searching for a singlecut with P90s that was not a gold top, I strongly considered this one and so I do remember it.

cliffenstein

Reaction score
This.

They did call it an Inspired by 1955. When I was searching for a singlecut with P90s that was not a gold top, I strongly considered this one and so I do remember it.
Yep...I would be all in if they would release it again as part of the 2020 lineup. But I'm just not interested in any of the old headstock models.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Yep...I would be all in if they would release it again as part of the 2020 lineup. But I'm just not interested in any of the old headstock models.
I have always hated that hs lol! It's not necessarily the best reason not to buy a guitar you like otherwise, but I admit it.

I ended up getting a 1979 Aria that came stock with Gibson Laidback pickups and it's a great guitar but a horrific color. In the auction photos in Japan it looked honeyburst and then it got here and I discovered it was a total clownburst. I love the guitar though so I've decided to refinish it.

cliffenstein

Reaction score
oh man...clownburst...just awful. I'm sorry. Those old Arias can be amazing. However, they usually sport very slim necks (even slimmer than modern Gibson SlimTaper) as that is what Gibson was doing at the time. I had an Aria Pro LPC that was exactly like a 70's Gibson in every respect. I just couldn't keep it due to how slim the neck was.

Roxy13

Reaction score
oh man...clownburst...just awful. I'm sorry. Those old Arias can be amazing. However, they usually sport very slim necks (even slimmer than modern Gibson SlimTaper) as that is what Gibson was doing at the time. I had an Aria Pro LPC that was exactly like a 70's Gibson in every respect. I just couldn't keep it due to how slim the neck was.
Hmm, mine isn't slim. I'd call it a medium C. It's a pancake body and has the 3p maple neck. I have a 1980 Aria as well that is not a pancake and has a 1p mahogany neck and that one is medium as well. I have 2 Gibson SGs with the slim taper and they are both thinner than the Arias are.

But, yeah, talk about a hideous guitar color wise! I took it out of the box and said OMG! NO!

I'm planning on making it like an orange burst I think.

CHIP702

Reaction score
Hmm, mine isn't slim. I'd call it a medium C. It's a pancake body and has the 3p maple neck. I have a 1980 Aria as well that is not a pancake and has a 1p mahogany neck and that one is medium as well. I have 2 Gibson SGs with the slim taper and they are both thinner than the Arias are.

But, yeah, talk about a hideous guitar color wise! I took it out of the box and said OMG! NO!

I'm planning on making it like an orange burst I think.
Curiosity is killing me, can you post a pic or two of how bad the clownburst is?

Roxy13

Reaction score
Curiosity is killing me, can you post a pic or two of how bad the clownburst is?
I don't think I took one because I was so appalled lol. It's raining today so I can try tomorrow. It's that horrid 70s clownburst that Gibson used too with tomato soup red and bright yellow.

Caretaker

Reaction score
The inspired by 55 was matte black, not at all shiny like that.

cliffenstein

Reaction score
That does not look like a high gloss body to me. Ultimately though, it's only a photo, which leaves lots open to conjecture.

jimmyjames

Reaction score
Compare the body finish with the pups/pickguard, it is not high gloss, though some owners have shined 'em up. I snagged one 2yrs ago for 3/4 of that price, and it kicks arse :yesway:

gsmacleod

Reaction score
My favourite Epi! Picked one up used a couple years ago and haven't looked back.

Shane

skydog

Reaction score
The inspired by 55 was matte black, not at all shiny like that.
Every one I've seen has had the matte finish. I was curious if they also had gloss or perhaps this got buffed out? Seems like it doesn't check all the boxes on any one model.

Latest Threads