Is this thing an otter?

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Our house is surrounded by water on three sides. The lake across the front and then a brook that feeds the lake wraps the side and back of the property.

This guy lives in the brook on the side of the house where the brook connects to the lake. He has a hole in the embankment at the waterline. We see him most evenings (not winter) swimming by the property at sunset. Today he was running around the shore so I took a few pictures. I've always assumed he's an otter, but I don't really know.

DSC08527.JPG

DSC08531.JPG

socialhero

Reaction score
Mink tend to live near water and have semi-webbed feet for swimming.

From what you describe, I’d say mink.

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as it isn't frozen, they're a pain in the ass.

danohat

Reaction score
Mink. I was surprised to find them up north in Mi. We have a large beaver pond on our property. My bro flipped over the aluminum boat on the shore and there it was.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well guys, it looks like the consensus is a mink.

A couple of years ago an eagle was sitting on the ice by the house and this thing broke a hole in the ice next the eagle and popped out onto the ice. they sat there next to each other for an hour or so. VERY strange!

Skeletor

Reaction score
Vicious little bastards (looks are deceiving)
Years ago one got in to the chicken coop on my uncle's farm - I think it killed 25 adult chickens that night.
Small hole chewed through at the base of the chickens skull if memory serves

Guy Named Sue

Reaction score
American Mink Mustela vison
The American mink – known for its thick, dark, glossy fur – is an introduced predator that is very much out of place among the fauna of Norfolk and has a detrimental effect on the surrounding native wildlife.

Latest Threads