is this the sound of a vintage plexi?

jwinger

Reaction score
Does this sound like a Marshall plexi to you?

Here's the story:

I purchased this on a whim about 6 months ago. When it arrived it was a bit of a dogs dinner. It had some nice looking old Mullard el34s and some nice old preamp valves, but the rest of it wasn't in a great state of repair.

Theo from Argiriadis Analogue Electronics in London was brave enough to take it on. He kept what original parts where still in good shape - which thankfully included both transformers - but basically completely re-wired the thing for safety and function.

It was advertised as a clone of an old fender Bassman, but I'm told it wasn't quite that...sort of a early Fender/Marshall hybrid without being quite either.

Anyway, got it back a few weeks back and it sounds fantastic. I'm plugged into the guitar channel (it also has a bass channel), with the preamp tube for the bass channel pulled. The volume is on 7.5, treble on 7.5, bass on zero.

I'm hitting the front end pretty hard with a Kingsley Page and using some reverb and delay from the recording software, Universal Audio Luna. Speakers are an emulated Fender Bassman 4x10 cab with Jensens within Universal Audio Ox.

Pretty happy with the tone! Sounds very much like an old Marshall Plexi to my ears, but let me know what you hear!

Just messing about jamming to some Wishbone Ash. The old PAFs and this amp really do get that sound.

grumphh_the_banned_one

Reaction score
Of course, since the amp tone is drowned in the mix i may be wrong here, but this is what i hear:
Playing is very competent, but sorry to rain on the parade, this sounds like any generic tube amp that has a drive pedal in the input and is pumped through that plastic attenuator/speaker emulation combo (and a bit of post processing) that makes everything sound the same - oh, in a good recording and internet-friendly way, sure, but character and individuality? Plexi?
Really? :rofl:

Nope, old Marshalls are nasty pieces of work, not some polished smoothie pop rock ideal of a guitar tone...

redking

Reaction score
Nice playing - as long as you like it and you find it inspiring, it doesn't really matter if it sounds like a plexi. That being said, to me the "plexi" sound has more body and has a "roar" or "harrang!!" to it - like an "untamed beast" - your tone in the vid is reminiscent of an 80's tone to my ears.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
Yes, a Plexi is definitely grittier and more in your face, less compressed than OP’s sound. That’s part of their charm.

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice playing. No it does not sound like an old Plexi to me either. Perhaps if you were not hitting the front end with the boost pedal you would get a better idea of the vibe. It's sorta copping the JCM800 2205 sound to my ears. It does sound good.

jwinger

Reaction score
Thanks all. Yeah I think you are right on reflection...maybe a little bit more like a 70/80s hot rod plexi if anything but also kind of its own thing. Maybe I'll do another clip without the pedal sometime...hitting it very hard in that vid, although I liked the results!

I'm also running an emulated bassman 4x10 with jensens which isn't classically what you'd use with a Marshall I guess!

Last edited:

redking

Reaction score
It doesn't have to be a plexi sound to be inspiring and sound good and more importantly - fit the song!

mdubya

Reaction score
I wouldn't say that it doesn't sound like a vintage plexi.

But it does not give off anything that screams vintage plexi, either. IMHO.

Short of Kossoff or Leigh Stephens era Blue Cheer, I don't think most have a clue what real plexi tone is all about.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. Yeah I think you are right on reflection...maybe a little bit more like a 70/80s hot rod plexi if anything but also kind of its own thing. Maybe I'll do another clip without the pedal sometime...hitting it very hard in that vid, although I liked the results!

I'm also running an emulated bassman 4x10 with jensens which isn't classically what you'd use with a Marshall I guess!
oH, it was definately a nice tone, just not old plexi. Not a thing wrong with that.

Reaction score
Great sounding Amp! If you like it then it passes the test. As a note, I heard this kids CD that had amazing clean and dirty tomes. Asked how he did it and his answer was iRig on an iPad with the Amplitubes app. I got to try it

Blues_Verne

Reaction score

Here's the story:

I purchased this on a whim about 6 months ago. When it arrived it was a bit of a dogs dinner. It had some nice looking old Mullard el34s and some nice old preamp valves, but the rest of it wasn't in a great state of repair.

Theo from Argiriadis Analogue Electronics in London was brave enough to take it on. He kept what original parts where still in good shape - which thankfully included both transformers - but basically completely re-wired the thing for safety and function.

It was advertised as a clone of an old fender Bassman, but I'm told it wasn't quite that...sort of a early Fender/Marshall hybrid without being quite either.

Anyway, got it back a few weeks back and it sounds fantastic. I'm plugged into the guitar channel (it also has a bass channel), with the preamp tube for the bass channel pulled. The volume is on 7.5, treble on 7.5, bass on zero.

I'm hitting the front end pretty hard with a Kingsley Page and using some reverb and delay from the recording software, Universal Audio Luna. Speakers are an emulated Fender Bassman 4x10 cab with Jensens within Universal Audio Ox.

Pretty happy with the tone! Sounds very much like an old Marshall Plexi to my ears, but let me know what you hear!

Just messing about jamming to some Wishbone Ash. The old PAFs and this amp really do get that sound.
Sorry, man, your owner's pride apart - this sounds anything but Plexi! Plexi? Really? Guess you havn't heard one in ages. Take away the computerized crap sounds, get yerself a good microphone and let us hear this AMP. :mad:

lespaul1648

Reaction score

Here's the story:

Nice playing and good tone. What Wishbone song were you playing?

Latest Threads