Is this the real deal?

jaqueh

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's a 2008 standard or not but if I recall correctly they had the goldtop as an option for that year that came with a nashville bridge before they changed to the abr style on standards. and just as an fyi I found the specs from gibson with some photo's showing the nashville style bridge with the screws going towards that tail piece.
just sharing some info :)
Yeah obviously something happened in the bridge/tailpiece area to justify the two holes, so I would be very weary of this guitar, but the other members MLP don't seem to think so. Likely bridge was installed upside down when put back together, but they are reversible. This is definitely not a mint/untouched 2007-12 gibson

mjross

Reaction score
Yeah obviously something happened in the bridge/tailpiece area to justify the two holes, so I would be very weary of this guitar, but the other members MLP don't seem to think so. Likely bridge was installed upside down when put back together, but they are reversible. This is definitely not a mint/untouched 2007-12 gibson
Holes are from a previously installed Bigsby Trem, thats why I brought up “Snakebite”.

Here’s a shot of my “57” BB. Look close you will see the holes where the Bigsby Trem was once mounted. These holes are sometimes called “Snakebite”.

1655337243184.jpeg

jaqueh

Reaction score
Holes are from a previously installed Bigsby Trem, thats why I brought up “Snakebite”.

Here’s a shot of my “57” BB. Look close you will see the holes where the Bigsby Trem was once mounted. These holes are sometimes called “Snakebite”.

View attachment 615474
ah yeah, i know what a snakebite is, but didn't realize they were offset.

mjross

Reaction score
ah yeah, i know what a snakebite is, but didn't realize they were offset.
Here’s a shot that shows the hole below the tailpiece a little better. Yeah, they are offset!

1655338578832.jpeg

This is a righty, notice the offset holes. I think the holes you are seeing are for this type of Trem!

1655338823829.jpeg

Last edited:

Rickabuzz

Reaction score
I didn't see anybody mention the screws being backwards in response to OP comments. somebody probably just accidentally put the bridge on upside down when changing strings or they needed more distance for the saddles to move for intonation purposes. I can't make out which direction the saddles are facing but the D string saddle is pretty close to the max travel going towards the pickups.
Did my own research on that and many of the 2008 models have the bridge set up that way. Learned something new.

Rickabuzz

Reaction score
if it were an ABR bridge it would not be upside down. it's a nashville the screws go toward the tailpiece. but regardless they can go either way and work.
Yes I saw the guitar and I checked the serial number
If it has a 50's neck and you wanna sell it PM me and i'll buy it from you. I dont mind the holes
checked it out and it is a 50’s neck which felt very nice. I’ve actually always wanted a gold top so this one will stay with me. The guitar has a lot of relic which kinda makes it more appealing for me.

Rickabuzz

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's a 2008 standard or not but if I recall correctly they had the goldtop as an option for that year that came with a nashville bridge before they changed to the abr style on standards. and just as an fyi I found the specs from gibson with some photo's showing the nashville style bridge with the screws going towards that tail piece.
just sharing some info :)
Thx, I did some investigating myself and that year you’ll see the bridge set up both directions. Appreciate the help.

Rickabuzz

Reaction score

View attachment 615474
The black beauty came with a gold Bigsby. Very nice guitar.

mjross

Reaction score
The black beauty came with a gold Bigsby. Very nice guitar.
Not sure about that! The original configuration had a tailpiece not a Bigsby! From what I can tell the Bigsby was added later.

Last edited:

Latest Threads