Is this the real deal?

Rickabuzz

Reaction score
A guy offered to trade his standard for my studio plus an extra $350 on my end. I'm not going to jump to conclusions on why he wants to trade but there was a couple of things that struck my as odd. What got me wondering was he had a Bigsby on this thing which is not outside someone's personal preference but I would consider rare. I also noticed that the screws are on top of the Tune-o-matic bridge which I understand is not correct.

I'm definitely no expert so I'm asking all of you knowledgeable people. He only sent these three pics for now but I did ask for more.

IMG_7691.JPG
IMG_7692.JPG
IMG_7693.JPG

jaqueh

Reaction score
those holes bother me, but a standard is worth at minimum $600 more than a studio.

Rickabuzz

Reaction score
So I'm going over today to give it a closer look. Thanks everyone, I thought this was a great deal as well which made my Spider senses go off. Glad I have this group to help. You're all awesome.

Reactions: Who

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
Agreed to all of the above -- I bet too that a talented luthier could fix those holes so no one would ever care even if they knew about them. Another thing too is that (and this may be just my uninformed perception) gold tops are a premium finish in the perception of the re-sale market. Assuming it plays well and is (or can be) solidly intonated, then definitely grab it !!!

MOVING ON UP!!!!!!!!

200.gif

mjross

Reaction score
Agreed to all of the above -- I bet too that a talented luthier could fix those holes so no one would ever care even if they knew about them. Another thing too is that (and this may be just my uninformed perception) gold tops are a premium finish in the perception of the re-sale market. Assuming it plays well and is (or can be) solidly intonated, then definitely grab it !!!

MOVING ON UP!!!!!!!!

200.gif
You are correct Sir! The BB below use to have “Snakebite” and my tech repaired it so that you REALLY have to look to find the repair! But if you have OCD like I do, they can be fixed.

EDIT,

Purchased a Vibramate setup now it’s all good!

1655324450691.jpeg

Last edited:

dju

Reaction score
I didn't see anybody mention the screws being backwards in response to OP comments. somebody probably just accidentally put the bridge on upside down when changing strings or they needed more distance for the saddles to move for intonation purposes. I can't make out which direction the saddles are facing but the D string saddle is pretty close to the max travel going towards the pickups.

jaqueh

Reaction score
I didn't see anybody mention the screws being backwards in response to OP comments. somebody probably just accidentally put the bridge on upside down when changing strings or they needed more distance for the saddles to move for intonation purposes. I can't make out which direction the saddles are facing but the D string saddle is pretty close to the max travel going towards the pickups.
bridge is not upside down

dju

Reaction score
bridge is not upside down

if it were an ABR bridge it would not be upside down. it's a nashville the screws go toward the tailpiece. but regardless they can go either way and work.

jaqueh

Reaction score
if it were an ABR bridge it would not be upside down. it's a nashville the screws go toward the tailpiece. but regardless they can go either way and work.
oh interesting

dju

Reaction score
oh interesting
I'm not sure if it's a 2008 standard or not but if I recall correctly they had the goldtop as an option for that year that came with a nashville bridge before they changed to the abr style on standards. and just as an fyi I found the specs from gibson with some photo's showing the nashville style bridge with the screws going towards that tail piece.
just sharing some info :)

Latest Threads