Is this Rosewood or Baked Maple?

Cjsinla

Reaction score
You might be right, that does not look like RW to me, the markings in the wood seem unusual.

irocdave12

Reaction score
I going to say strongly that I believe that's baked maple. That fretboard has definitely been played on a bunch. The darker areas on the treble side are definitely finger oils and grime imbedded in the wood. But if you blow up and look closely at the bass side that is classic baked maple color and look. Also rosewood doesn't get that look from oils and grime as drastically as the maple would is another reason I'm convinced it's BM. Definitely some fret wear and a lot of string bending was done from what I see. But a nice guitar either way. I actually wish I had bought one of the BM guitars in the brief period they were forced to make them. I think they are going to be regarded as very cool to have in the future.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
BBQ Maple....

tzd

Reaction score
Looks like oiled baked maple to me.

endial

Reaction score
Yep. Torrefied Maple. Not that that's a bad thing, and crimony, that's a beautiful guitar!

Being that I'm a proud owner of a '12 Junior Special with a baked maple board, I can assure you, you wouldn't be disappointed. -But your seller is mistaken.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong but i believe that baked maple wasn't used until very late 2011 after the gibson wood debacle, then there after thru 2012, then back to rosewood in 2013.:hmm:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've a Goldie with BBQ Maple board... Love it....

Rowdymoon

Reaction score
Baked maple....and nothing wrong with baked maple.

starscream

Reaction score
Definitely maple, and I'm basing this on the grain in the pictures, which is the only concrete proof needed. The wood is what it is.

bwillard

Reaction score
Here is my SG 70s Tribute with a baked maple board. It looks very similar (with less grime on the fret board).

endial

Reaction score
Tone wise, no.

Re-sell wise, there's plenty wrong and you have to figure it into what price you pay for the guitar. For all the praise these get, no one seems to want to buy them.

Check this price out: https://reverb.com/item/4656917-gibson-les-paul-classic-plus-2011-antique-vintage-sunburst
All the more reason to buy. You gonna flip it, or play it? In five years' time people will have figured out that these are quite desirable as a player's guitar.

Or just pass on it and move on. Dead thread.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
All the more reason to buy. You gonna flip it, or play it? In five years' time people will have figured out that these are quite desirable as a player's guitar.

Or just pass on it and move on. Dead thread.

I have to agree , baked maple is a perfect wood for fret boards, and if Gibson doesn't offer them again these guitars will become harder to find.

scozz

Reaction score
I going to say strongly that I believe that's baked maple. That fretboard has definitely been played on a bunch. The darker areas on the treble side are definitely finger oils and grime imbedded in the wood. But if you blow up and look closely at the bass side that is classic baked maple color and look.
Great observation dave.

A good cleaning on that fretboard and maybe gone over lightly with some 0000 steel wool do wonders. Finish up with some fretdoctor fingerboard conditioner.

BTW...that Classic has a great top. Gorgeous LP! :cool:

JM2112

Reaction score
IMHO, the only way you're going to be able to tell without actually getting the guitar is by getting a very close and clear pic of the fret board. Maple is very dense and has very few visible pores compared to rosewood.

If you're worried about the torrefied maple (aka baked maple), don't be because it's one awesome fret board. I've got a 2011 LP Classic Custom with the torrefied maple fret board and, while I know full well opinions are subjective, I prefer it over rosewood. Torrefied maple is nothing new, it was just new for Gibson using it.

JM2112

Reaction score
I could be wrong but i believe that baked maple wasn't used until very late 2011 after the gibson wood debacle, then there after thru 2012, then back to rosewood in 2013.:hmm:
Yeah, the raid in 2011 was in August if my memory serves me correctly, and my LP Classic Custom with the torrefied maple was made in Oct. 2011. I also have a 2011 SG Standard made in June 2011 and it has rosewood.

Latest Threads