Is this REALLY what life as a metal musician is?

Reaction score
Having representation fluent in contract law helps alot. Manowar (and many other acts for that matter) attained their label representation at a time when most acts were more than willing to sign on the dotted line, thinking that all their dreams were going to come true and the money was going to come pouring in. The truth of the matter is that the record company gives you an advance, and fronts the studio expenses for you. You earn a percentage of the album sales. The expenses incurred in recording, production, touring, etc. must be paid back out of your percentage BEFORE you see a profit.

In the 90's acts like Limp Bizkit flipped the script by retaining 100% of their merch rights, which was easier to do then due to established artists (in their case, Korn) being granted A&R signing rights by their major label. that's why LB was STILL able to make money, even after demolishing a tour bus and consequently bankrupting Flip Records. After that particular incident, artists weren't allowed to sign anything but a bar tab.

Anyway, the REAL point is: Metal acts like Manowar are in it for the music. They're willing to live on ramen noodles and desperation for the thrill of getting on stage and rocking a crowd.

1970custom

Reaction score
This article kind of p*ssed me off. The author is working on the assumption that because he's heard of the band they should be lounging by their olympic-sized swimming pool on their huge estate or sleeping on giant piles of money with many beautiful ladies. The fact that he is surprised that a third tier, frequently mocked, ridiculous power metal band that has been on lots of independant labels aren't living like sultans shows how far up his ass his head is.

Pointing out a guy's misfortunes in such a public way is the epitome of uncool. Grow the hell up and leave those guy's personal lives alone. I would be super choked if the value of my house and a picture of it was published in an article intended to insult me.

FTFA:"Notice that I use the term "ground zero", which is often used in the context of 9-11...because in a way, Manowar itself is a good bit like a musical 9-11." This statement shows the mentality of the writer, throwing a 9/11 reference into his piece in a useless context. Ripping a guy for giving guitar lessons or working constrution? Shut up. People need to make ends meet, even if you've heard of them. Geez.

The bottom line is these guys are playing music because they love it. Hey, I can't stand Manowar and I think their look/image/whatever is totally stupid and silly, but I fully respect their commitment to it. I'm sure they realize there are "cooler" images and ways to make more money, but they stick to their plan for a reason.
Pointing out a guy's misfortunes in such a public way is the epitome of uncool. Grow the hell up and leave those guy's personal lives alone.

/rant over
//back to internetting SG's and boobies

apocalypsebob

Reaction score
I'm kind of disgusted by the fact that the guy who wrote this article is actually bashing the one guy for being a guitar teacher

at least the guys in manowar aren't making their living by making fun of somebody else's life

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Bottom line: this blogger is a planet, not a star. He radiates no light of his own, but instead only reflects the light of others, no matter how dim that light might be.

Five bucks says he typed it in his bedroom at Mom's.

Kølabrennern

Reaction score
Releasing a metal album is much like being famous on Youtube; not an achievement at all. :)

I was young and naive and signed a contract that made it completely sure I wouldn't earn any money at all off of the sales of the debut, which sold rather well for being released by an independent label in a very small niche. Luckily the record label went to hell after a while and I was freed from their ties. Learned the hard way. I used more money in studio, artwork and design costs than I'll probably ever earn back through record sales, but that's my own fault.

EasyAce

Reaction score
at least the guys in manowar aren't making their living by making fun of somebody else's life
Maybe not, but once upon a time Manowar's co-founder---one Ross Friedman, better known as Ross the Boss Funicello (nobody knows where he got the Funicello bit from, unless he grew up creaming for Annette)---was one-fifth (or sixth, depending on the lineup) of a band who sure knew how to make fun of themselves and cheeseball pop culture . . . the Dictators.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lkq69Dc2Uok]The Dictators, "The Next Big Thing"[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzlPA3-DK_k]The Dictators, "Weekend"[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H5rqaEzYcY&feature=related]The Dictators, "(I Live For) Cars and Girls"[/ame]

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I thought the guy the wrote the article was pretty harsh... It's one thing to poke a little good natured fun, but that reads almost like the writer has some kind of personal hatred for the guys in Manowar.

A lot of guys in metal bands that are semi "famous" have other jobs to make ends meet, I don't see the shame in that. It's not just metal players either... Many musicians have to have a day job... It's not like they promote that image, because it doesn't fit the rock star perception that a lot of people have.

Here in Houston, the legendary bluesman "Lightning Hopkins" lived pretty meagerly the last few years of his life, in a pretty awful area of town. He didn't even have a historical marker until late last year.

Not everyone "famous" lives in a mansion, and does blow off the backs of strippers all day. Heck, a lot of them would probably be happy to make a middle class living from their music alone.

HARDWEAR

Reaction score
This article kind of p*ssed me off. The author is working on the assumption that because he's heard of the band they should be lounging by their olympic-sized swimming pool on their huge estate or sleeping on giant piles of money with many beautiful ladies. The fact that he is surprised that a third tier, frequently mocked, ridiculous power metal band that has been on lots of independant labels aren't living like sultans shows how far up his ass his head is.

Pointing out a guy's misfortunes in such a public way is the epitome of uncool. Grow the hell up and leave those guy's personal lives alone. I would be super choked if the value of my house and a picture of it was published in an article intended to insult me.

FTFA:"Notice that I use the term "ground zero", which is often used in the context of 9-11...because in a way, Manowar itself is a good bit like a musical 9-11." This statement shows the mentality of the writer, throwing a 9/11 reference into his piece in a useless context. Ripping a guy for giving guitar lessons or working constrution? Shut up. People need to make ends meet, even if you've heard of them. Geez.

The bottom line is these guys are playing music because they love it. Hey, I can't stand Manowar and I think their look/image/whatever is totally stupid and silly, but I fully respect their commitment to it. I'm sure they realize there are "cooler" images and ways to make more money, but they stick to their plan for a reason.
Pointing out a guy's misfortunes in such a public way is the epitome of uncool. Grow the hell up and leave those guy's personal lives alone.

/rant over
//back to internetting SG's and boobies
I could not have said this any better.....(including the part about SG's and boobies):naughty:

But seriously...........what a scumbag to rip them like that. SO WHAT! Maybe they didn't manage their money very well...or even at all, but to publicly humiliate them is appalling. At least they're not in the headlines every month driving drunk killing people or in the tabloids up to no good getting in trouble with society on a daily basis...(like A LOT of other "stars")

Give 'em an F'in break.
10 million in record sales and STILL playing after 25 years living their dream...count me in.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
Kølabrennern;2571014 said:
Releasing a metal album is much like being famous on Youtube; not an achievement at all. :)

Tell that to the guys in Maiden, Priest, Sabbath, etc.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Not a chance in hell I'd take that bet. Talk about throwing money away.
Damn, foiled again!

A lot of guys in metal bands that are semi "famous" have other jobs to make ends meet, I don't see the shame in that. It's not just metal players either... Many musicians have to have a day job... It's not like they promote that image, because it doesn't fit the rock star perception that a lot of people have.
This asshole has a dayjob too, but he's to ashamed of it to write about it. He'd rather slam other people. [I could really go off on this jerk, and have edited out a long screed where these brackets sit.]

Here in Houston, the legendary bluesman "Lightning Hopkins" lived pretty meagerly the last few years of his life, in a pretty awful area of town. He didn't even have a historical marker until late last year.
It's worse than painters; they don't even leave behind objets d'arte which pull in tens of millions of dollars.

And how many have died broke and unrecognized?
Don't you know it? Think about Ted Hawkins. He almost went undiscovered, homeless for years. How many weren't ever found at all?

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
There's a recent documentary on the 80's Thrash metal scene... I have it, but its title escapes me at the moment. It's pretty good. It kind of touches on this subject. With the exception of a handful of bands (Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, and Anthrax (To a lesser extent), most of the guys from that scene that are still around, either have day jobs or relentlessly tour and play smallish venues to get by. The guys in Overkill talk about how it's hard to make ends meet, and that the realities of the life aren't what many fans expect them to be.

Now granted, I thought that Manowar was big enough in Europe that they had done a little better than indicated on that blog, but at least they're still doing what they love. What's wrong with that?

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
There's a recent documentary on the 80's Thrash metal scene... I have it, but its title escapes me at the moment. It's pretty good. It kind of touches on this subject. With the exception of a handful of bands (Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, and Anthrax (To a lesser extent), most of the guys from that scene that are still around, either have day jobs or relentlessly tour and play smallish venues to get by. The guys in Overkill talk about how it's hard to make ends meet, and that the realities of the life aren't what many fans expect them to be.
The Decline and Fall of Western Civilization by Penelope Spheeris?

Now granted, I thought that Manowar was big enough in Europe that they had done a little better than indicated on that blog, but at least they're still doing what they love. What's wrong with that?
Honestly, I don't give two shits rubbed together how much money they make. I don't care for their music, but obviously enough people do to make this asshole try to parasite off of what is left of their career. If they're successful, more power to 'em, and if they gotta work day jobs, well, hey, welcome to the club. This dipshit blogger, though, is really trying to throw a superiority trip, and for that reason alone he wraps up more fail in 500 words than many people do in ten years.

Fact of the matter is, I didn't know this guy from Adam's housecat before he decided to cap on Manowar for being "losers." Ipso facto, he must be a bigger loser.

I'm thinking we have an embittered ex-member of Better Than Ezra on our hands here.

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The Decline and Fall of Western Civilization by Penelope Spheeris?

Honestly, I don't give two shits rubbed together how much money they make. I don't care for their music, but obviously enough people do to make this asshole try to parasite off of what is left of their career. If they're successful, more power to 'em, and if they gotta work day jobs, well, hey, welcome to the club. This dipshit blogger, though, is really trying to throw a superiority trip, and for that reason alone he wraps up more fail in 500 words than many people do in ten years.

Fact of the matter is, I didn't know this guy from Adam's housecat before he decided to cap on Manowar for being "losers." Ipso facto, he must be a bigger loser.

I'm thinking we have an embittered ex-member of Better Than Ezra on our hands here.
No. It's not the Spheeris movie, although that one's great. It's actually this one:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Get-Thrashed-Death-Angel/dp/B001AR4K6C/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1301893388&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: Get Thrashed: Death Angel, Tom Angelripper, Phil Anselmo, Tom Araya, Frank Bello, Charlie Benante, Richard Bienstock, Chuck Billy, Jason Bitner, Steven Blush, Randy Blythe, Kurt Brecht, Rick Ernst, Rat Skates: Movies & TV[/ame]

It's pretty low budget, but a pretty good overview of the scene.

And I agree, I'm not a Manowar fan, but the "critic" just seemed like a bitter @sshole who took a bunch of low potshots at the individuals in the band.

Latest Threads