Is this real?

MichaelAndrew3435

Premium Member
Reaction score

Not that I plan on buying it, I was just looking around for fun and cam across this 1988 LP Custom Lite. Looks like two different guitars in some of the pictures. Maybe hardware was swapped? The fretboard looks like rosewood in some of the photos.

I wish they still made these with an ebony board.

Last edited:

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
It’s real.... just enormously over priced.

Looks to have plenty of scratches to me... the seller may be less than honest.....
8171CD1C-D65C-420D-93D7-F07A33BC94F7.jpeg

brianbzed

Reaction score
Well.... not many of those produced, not overly popular....rare maybe, but not overly desirable. I remember playing one when they first came out...was a good guitar but didn't thrill me enough to buy it. Priced at $4500? Naaaahhhh....

MichaelAndrew3435

Premium Member
Reaction score
I guess I was just concerned about the fretboard in the photos. Must be poor lighting or something.

Niloy63

Reaction score
Board looks ebony to me. Like others have said, that guitar doesn't exactly look "Mint." And not to mention, that's an outrageous price for a Custom Lite.

MichaelAndrew3435

Premium Member
Reaction score
$4500 for one of those is absurd. The custom lites are great guitars though.
I had a 2013 model. I bought it for $1700-$1800 back in 2016. It was in excellent shape and I really miss it. I have an actual LP Custom now. I see a lot of 2013 models overpriced too.

Moni

Banned
Reaction score
Quite possibly someone selling this who isn't familiar with guitars and in fact was in a closet for all this time. I would disregard the photos as far as color of fretboard etc, you can see obvious digital camera lighting and color issues.

That being said the guitar is not "Mint". I caught this photo towards the end which made it obvious, this is either not the original clamping hex screw for the locking nut on the low E and A or it is stripped because if you look you can see wear and discoloration of the black chrome as well as the low E string is slack and not tuned. Look at the tuning peg and you can see the string is slack which tells me something is not working properly here.

The truss rod cover eyelet is also cracked from being over tightened.

Not much of an issue to remedy and makes it more obvious they don't know about the guitar or what they are doing.

khli1pp7l4e6umfmotjt.jpg

Last edited:

moreles

Reaction score
Not mint but real, though as John Lennon reminds us, "nothing is real."