Is this normal??

Wesner477

Reaction score
Hey all. I’m wanting to pull the trigger on a beautiful LP custom but I’m a bit worried about the headstock MOP that looks like it’s delaminating. Is it normal for a 25 year old guitar?? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
Very common. My 2000 Gibson Custom did that as well. Its just the nitro.

Wesner477

Reaction score
I should have rephrased the question? Is it something to worry about? Sorry for the noob questions.

ARandall

Reaction score
Its actually to be expected that weather conditions will affect the nitro lacquer, and that the result is checking. The headstock veneer material will move differently to the MOP logo. So while it doesn't happen to every guitar, if the climatic conditions in use or storage are 'right', then the nitro will be the 'fuse' for the differing rates of movement.

There are some old Gibsons where the nitro is flaking off MOP and indeed off plastic binding.....but other of the same age where there is barely any issue. So as long as you take care of the instrument what you see might be as bad as it ever gets.

Wesner477

Reaction score
Awesome. The guitar would be coming from Arizona, so maybe the dry heat created the checking around the MOP?

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually three materials... the MOP, holly, and black epoxy filler.
This one is so obvious that you could probably figure out the size of the router bit that they used to cut the veneer for the inlay.

So ya... the holly and mahogany expand and contract with humidity, but the MOP and epoxy remain stable.

Roger66

Reaction score
Normal?..... not really

Common?..... yes

View attachment 538106
Take the strings, tuners and truss rod cover off, apply superglue or epoxy to the gaps around the inlay, wet block sand flat up to 1000 grit until all the extra glue is gone, masking tape the neck, nut and sides and back of headstock, spray on clear nitro, wet block sand to 1500 grit, spray and sand again if necessary, until perfect, hit the binding edges with 1500 for a smooth transition, buff it up with a shammy cloth and Meguires #7 auto polish, install tuners, truss rod cover, restring, and tune and stretch strings, DONE, in one long run on sentence. Ta-Dahhh!
Seriously though, talk to someone with more experience than me. I have only done that a few times with super glue and acrylic laquer. They turned out perfect though. Good luck!

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
On my 2000 you could feel a little ridge where the binding met the body as well, and on a custom there is a lot of binding. It never bothered me but it was there. People are very picky about neck feel so if you are someone who needs to have one smooth as glass.....

Cjsinla

Reaction score
That look is part of the mojo, leave it. It doesn’t effect the playability, it’s just part of owning a Gibson. You can always buy a poly-coated Ibanez later if it really bothers you.

AJK1

Reaction score
Hey all. I’m wanting to pull the trigger on a beautiful LP custom but I’m a bit worried about the headstock MOP that looks like it’s delaminating. Is it normal for a 25 year old guitar?? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

What’s MOP ?

AJK1

Reaction score

Nice guitar
I’m cashed up, I might snag it for myself

Latest Threads