Is This Normal?

bungle

Reaction score
Nice guitars! Pick guard on of course.:cool:

Last edited:

Pappy35

Reaction score
It is normal. I'm no expert but the maple cap peeks out from under the binding in that spot.

It mentioned in one of Gibson's "The Process" videos.

strayedstrater

Reaction score
Depending on the year.
The eyebrow is certainly considered desirable, but some years had binding that was wide enough to completely cover the cap, then cut flush to the body.
I don't know what years those are... my buddy had a Norlin in all natural that had binding like that... the first LP I ever played.
The wide binding started in '68/'69 when they reintroduced the Les Paul. Not sure if the earliest batch with 1 piece bodies had vintage style binding, but wide binding came along with the pancake body.

At first just on the Deluxe and then the Standard, with early '70s Customs having narrow binding. Later on the Customs got wide binding too. During the '70s there were no narrow binding Standards or Deluxes.

During the '80s some models got narrow binding, but wide binding actually started a little before Norlin and lasted well into the Henry J era. I think there were some in the late '90s.

But I write too much anyway, so my earlier novel was limited to vintage style binding where it's normal to have the eyebrow and would be suspicious if it wasn't visible.

(I seem recall at least one Custom Shop all-mahogany Goldtop which wouldn't have an eyebrow -- there's always exceptions.)

Injector

Reaction score
Visible part of maple cap in the horn area = normal. It's on all of mine.
I'm a pickguard on kinda guy on most LPs and that includes yours. I left it off on one because it didn't come attached and it doesn't have the holes, plus it's kinda good to have an LP without the guard but generally I prefer them on. 3 out of my 4 LPs have the pickguard on and look all the better for it.

jbylake

Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh dear lord!! I never insinuated that this might be a forgery/fake.. Or that Sweetwater was not reputable..

THEY HAVE BEEN GREAT!!

And apparently correct in telling me this was normal..

Pics of two of the other 4

View attachment 481846 View attachment 481847
Sorry about that. I misread your post somehow. Didn't mean to put words in your mouth. And yes, Sweet Water is very easy to deal with in my experience. Enjoy your new guitar, now that you have the info you need and can breathe easy.

mgenet

Cheese Burger = Earth
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh man, a Pickguard On or Off thread disguised as... (good job btw)

ah, never mind...

AND the ANSWER IS?

OFF. OFF. OFF.

Wonderful top; let it be seen and admired.

PauloQS

Reaction score
Normal and a sought after feature. This is how it was in the ‘50s and 1960. Jimmy Page’s #1, which I was fortunate to see it in person, has it, for instance. The late ‘60s when Gibson brought the Les Paul back, they initially had a thick binding on that area to cover the maple cap. I don’t exactly when, but at some point they reverted back to the original style binding that exposes part of the maple cap along the cutaway.

moreles

Reaction score
The LP pickguard is ugly compared to the curves of the guitar, contour of the top, and finish of the wood. Unless you play in a way that would hack the top (which drops away from the strings, making this unlikely) or like to add ornamental parts to your guitar, I don't know why you would install an unnecessary rocket-fin made of plastic. IMO.

tigerflame

Reaction score
Not only normal, it's also considered BETTER with it than with the fat binding that covers the maple cap. My 50s has it exposed, like yours.

strayedstrater

Reaction score
If you're gentle with the screwdriver you can put on and remove the pickguard an infinite number of times.

That's what I do, as the mood strikes me.

The poker chip comes off and stays off, though.

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
Over the years I've become a guard on /pokerchip off guy too.

Gibsonrocknroll

Premium Member
Reaction score
My 82 Les Paul Standard had the binding cover the cap. The picture is just for reference.
FD5A42A5-6BDF-42B4-B701-8EB5B4E7DCC6.jpeg

Latest Threads