Is This Normal?

Axe57

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm really not trying to be a jerk.. I just can't recall seeing this on any of my Lesters in yrs past. Is this normal? Is it right?

I have 4 others and there is no hump and maple cap below the binding on them.. The vendor is telling me it's normal.. I'm trying to be fair..

Thanks fellas :)

Attachments

strayedstrater

Reaction score
Yes, that's normal. When the back and sides are stained it's less noticeable, and covered up entirely when they're painted a solid color.

Jumps out more on natural light back finishes

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m a guard on kinda guy.... but that is a unique top..... that book-match would be lost under the guard..... hmmmmm:hmm:

strayedstrater

Reaction score
Jumping in here.... Is that something the counterfeiters miss?
You know, fix a problem that they think is there?
Early counterfeits were often carved mahogany-like bodies with thin maple veneers, that wouldn't have the "eyebrow". But those were the 3-screw truss rod cover things that had plenty of obvious errors.

Counterfeits have gotten better. They'll often have full thickness plain caps with veneer, so they have the eyebrow.

So lack of eyebrow is a dead giveaway, but having it doesn't guarantee it's real.

jbylake

Premium Member
Reaction score
I see a SweetWater label there. Are they the "Vendor". If so, I seriously doubt that it's a forgery. I don't think theiy're going to risk a multi-million dollar operation, and jail time just to screw one guy out of a few bucks on forgeries, snuck in throught the back door.

That's why I shop at reputable dealers, or, more often than not, just buy new.

jbash

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm really not trying to be a jerk.. I just can't recall seeing this on any of my Lesters in yrs past. Is this normal? Is it right?

I have 4 others and there is no hump and maple cap below the binding on them.. The vendor is telling me it's normal.. I'm trying to be fair..

Thanks fellas :)
What 4 other Les Pauls do you have don't sport the vintage correct binding?

And, pickguard on.

strayedstrater

Reaction score
What 4 other Les Pauls do you have don't sport the vintage correct binding?

And, pickguard on.
Of the 5 Mudface posted, 4 of them are stained darker and blend in better, and only one really sticks out visually.

And there are lots of bound LP's with opaque finishes where you can't see the eyebrow at all.

dro

Reaction score
By the way do the other 4 have black backs?

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
So lack of eyebrow is a dead giveaway, but having it doesn't guarantee it's real.
Depending on the year.
The eyebrow is certainly considered desirable, but some years had binding that was wide enough to completely cover the cap, then cut flush to the body.
I don't know what years those are... my buddy had a Norlin in all natural that had binding like that... the first LP I ever played.

Axe57

Reaction score
By the way do the other 4 have black backs?

No, but this is my first unfinished body in years so..... Hence the confusion..

Once again THANK YOU everyone for informing me :)