Is This Normal?

Bend'n'Slide

Reaction score
This looks like pretty much every other recent reissue case that I have seen.

I agree that they are probably not the most robust case for a guitar costing around 5k (or more...!) but they are deliberately going for the style of the classic historic cases from the ‘50s, so they are what they are. I know quite a few folks who either park their reissue case(s) in a closet or, at most, keep the guitar in them at home and buy something different and much stronger for actually transporting their instruments.

The interior detailing is slightly different to the USA line cases but the basic principle is the same: the padded wedge section in the base of the body compartment raises the upper bout and the neck heel by ~4 degrees relative to the strap button end of the lower bout — thus off-setting the 4deg neck angle and allowing the neck to lay horizontally over the neck rest and the accessory compartment. No weight is borne by the headstock and the weight of the body is on the wedge, not the neck-joint. Yes, the outer edges of the upper bout do often overhang the central support but that doesn’t mean the weight is on the neck as the central section of the body abutting the neck heel is still supported.

I like the idea of a vintage-looking case, and I don’t think the design in terms of the positioning of the guitar within the case is, in and of itself, particularly problematic — but for such expensive guitars they really could be more robust cases. At the very least, they should have the option of a higher spec case but then that would inevitably add at least several hundred to the price...

In the case of the OP, his pictures do show the raised central area in the case but if there is any concern that the support below the upper body is inadequate then a call to the dealer would certainly be in order. It wouldn’t be so hard for them to swap a case if there really is a problem with this particular one.

Has this been cross-posted to the Vintage / Reissue area of the forum?

PierM

Reaction score
Since historic korksniffers keeps thinking old way was better, they want this, so Gibson is just doing cases like 60 years ago, aka garbage thin foil cases. The generic brown CS historic case is miles better, but yeah...not accurate.

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are these custom cases also made by TKL?

I could really use another SG case and was considering the non Gibson branded TKL one at MF, as it's on sale right now for $25 off. I do have one of those here, and it has a Greco SG copy in it. Well, last night I decided to see how well it fit my Gibson SGs and some other MIJ ones I have. Do you none of them fit? The body was so snug I couldn't even make them go in. That case is supposed to be for Gibsons, but they were both a no go. I'm not getting that one, obviously.
The brown Gibson case that came with my SG Special is a tight fit. I have to tip the strap end of the guitar into the case, push it into the lining and then lower the neck onto the supports.

Roxy13

Reaction score
The brown Gibson case that came with my SG Special is a tight fit. I have to tip the strap end of the guitar into the case, push it into the lining and then lower the neck onto the supports.
I have some other tight fitting cases but that TKL 7826 I have is ridiculously tight. Much too tight for me to force most guitars in. Now if you read the dimensions for it on the TKL site it should be a tad loose and easy to use. So maybe it's just the one I have, but it makes me afraid to buy another one.

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have some other tight fitting cases but that TKL 7826 I have is ridiculously tight. Much too tight for me to force most guitars in. Now if you read the dimensions for it on the TKL site it should be a tad loose and easy to use. So maybe it's just the one I have, but it makes me afraid to buy another one.
I measured the Gibson case, and the lower bout is about 13" but it's crushable. My SG is 13 1/4" across the lower bout, which is why it's tight, i suppose. A Long & McQuade Yorkville case (TKL) has an extra 1/2" in both bout areas. Less than half the price of the Gibson cases, too. I have three of these generic cases for my LPs and they all fit fine. Maybe another maker has an SG case with a bit more room.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I measured the Gibson case, and the lower bout is about 13" but it's crushable. My SG is 13 1/4" across the lower bout, which is why it's tight, i suppose. A Long & McQuade Yorkville case (TKL) has an extra 1/2" in both bout areas. Less than half the price of the Gibson cases, too. I have three of these generic cases for my LPs and they all fit fine. Maybe another maker has an SG case with a bit more room.
Yeah, I wish we could get those Yorkville cases here but whenever I see one the shipping is outrageous. I'm checking dimensions on all of the cases Musician's Friend has right now because I have a ton of points but some of the others are coming in smaller than what they list the TKL at. Of course what the TKL says means it should fit most of my guitars and yet the one I have does not. They do have one case that is significantly larger than it should be, but if those dimensions are right, it is going to allow the guitar to move around all over.

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did read that case fit is not consistent, even with the same case design. Perhaps a bit more foam than usual in some of them. Once I tip the SG into the end and force it down, it's certainly snug.

TKL branded cases seem to be quite expensive. The Yorkville cases have only the "Made in Canada" tab on the inside compartment, and are possibly shy a bit of attention to detail.

blackie2

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, Gibson stopped using TKL cases years ago and they’re now built somewhere in the Caribbean.

guitarded_82

Reaction score
It's likely the case. This is where Gibson failed at being a lifestyle product.

A $10k guitar can have 2 cases, no questions asked.

freebyrd 69

Reaction score
Normal, and I've owned my fair share. No point in bitching about it. They do it for "historical accuracy", because that's part of the "thing" that sells these guitars, so it really makes sense. Let's face it, the vast majority of people that buy these aren't gigging musicians. That being said I don't know a gigging musician, myself included, that would actually depend on these cases for transport. If you are going to transport it on a regular basis, spend a couple hundred and buy a case that will protect it. I look for the 90's brown Gibson cases with the pink lining.....like this one....

Blue Blood

Reaction score
How does a company sign off on an engineering fail like this ?
Retardediculous

Gold Tone

Reaction score
I love the vintage dead on spec cases! They’re really great

For any gig or travel I switch to a road case

You change shoes for different purposes...

KS 5150

Reaction score
Same here. I have a 2004 SG Standard with Bigsby....you literally have to shoehorn it into the case.

Jabberwocky

Reaction score
Since historic korksniffers keeps thinking old way was better, they want this, so Gibson is just doing cases like 60 years ago, aka garbage thin foil cases. The generic brown CS historic case is miles better, but yeah...not accurate.
+1.

The Reissue cases are crap because the originals were crap. The original Lifton cases were cheaply made cases. Crappiness is historically accurate. This is one way of making you pay more to get less, for crap, all in the name of Historic Accuracy.

Please don't use the supplied Reissue case to take your Historic about. Because just like the original crap Lifton they would break your Historic Les Paul and that is functionally historically accurate, too, for that historically accurate headstock break. Get a Calton, Hoffee, Karura case for your Historic to travel to gigs with.

Last edited:

bum

Reaction score
The case for my 335 reissue is nice to look at but absolutely crap as a case, one of the first things I did was buy a £60 Gator case, it's much better

Latest Threads