Is this mahogany?

Beautyfish

Reaction score
Hey All -

This table was built for my mom by her hairdresser, who was a woodworking hobbyist, probably back in 1961-62, so the wood is at least that old. It's 48" round, and 2" thick. It was made from three pieces which were just glued together with no splines or other joinery. The top was finished in some kind of clear plastic (did they have urethane or epoxy back then?), and one of the pieces recently came unglued (you can make that out in the picture of the top).

I'm moving soon, and don't really have a spot for this table. Plus, it needs to be re-glued and refinished. I was thinking of using it for body and neck blanks, especially if this is 60 year old mahogany or something else worthy of guitars. The bottom pic is from underneath and shows the wood unfinished. Thanks for your wisdom on this! Right now, I'm working with some poplar I got from a neighbor, and this looks so much better, I'm eager to try some builds with it.

IMG_2332.JPG
IMG_2333.JPG
IMG_2334.JPG
IMG_2329.JPG

tnt423

Reaction score
I've seen walnut look like that. What's the weight like?

pshupe

Reaction score
I have also seen walnut like that. Walnut is one of the only woods that actually gets lighter when it ages. This almost looks like walnut sap wood but I assume, if it is walnut, that it has just lightened up over time.

Even back 60 years ago mahogany would have been quite expensive compared to walnut. Especially 60 years ago because walnut was not really a sought after wood. The wieght may help but I have some nice light walnut that is as light as some Honduran Mahogany. Either way it will make some nice guitar bodies. ;-)

Cheers Peter.

D'tar

Reaction score
sand a bit underneath. Walnut has a wonderful distinct smell! Almost cinnamon like.:dunno:

trovador

Reaction score
Beautiful!. Looks like mahogany to me as well

Beautyfish

Reaction score
I can't really tell much about the weight, as the table is being held together by a few screws and a piece of pine underneath where the seam between slabs was separated, so I can't really move or weigh it as it stands. The way I'm laying it out, I should be able to get at least three one-piece bodies and necks out of it, and possibly another neck or two piece body. What is the MINIMUM blank size I should plan for bodies and necks if I'm trying to conserve as much wood as possible? I would like to build at least two Les Paul-type guitars, and maybe a Tele if there is enough wood. Thanks again for all of the help, you guys.

61LPSG

Reaction score
The figuring pattern looks like mahogany to me. I have some old walnut and don't think that's what it is.