is this "half and half" look enough to return Les Paul over?

moreles

Reaction score
Lots of personal opinions, as is to be expected when it comes to appearances. The top fussiness is a modern phenomenon and a consequence of mass production which given us a zillion units of any manufactured item. We get choosy because we can. Fair enough. The original bursts vary widely. Look through Beauty of the Burst and some are bookmatched anbd symmetrical, others are half/half, or flitch matched with different grain or color. Heck, Gibson just about never has the wide ribbon-curl stuff anymore that I like. But -- and it's a big but -- tastes and the market all want fussy, fine, mirror-imaged thin flames, so your guitar, while hardly non-typical in the LP world, is not going to win prozes when it comes to resale, and lots of people will not like the look as much as a better-matched instrument. That's how it is. I would hold it and return it for one you like. It's rarely true that a new LP plays and sounds so fantastic that i must be kept. In truth, they're producing them in the hundreds to the same specs and most will be as good. If your Sweetwater guy is supposedly looking out for you (which they're not, they're looking to sel stuff to you) then have him get some more LPs you can consider so you can return the one they sold you that obviously you do not really find ideal.

coyote95667

Reaction score
I am so glad you kept your Bourbon Burst; I saw this video today that reminded me of your guitar. You are so lucky to have something so unique to your guitar.

That thing is fantastic thanks for sharing the video!

coyote95667

Reaction score
Lots of personal opinions, as is to be expected when it comes to appearances. The top fussiness is a modern phenomenon and a consequence of mass production which given us a zillion units of any manufactured item. We get choosy because we can. Fair enough. The original bursts vary widely. Look through Beauty of the Burst and some are bookmatched anbd symmetrical, others are half/half, or flitch matched with different grain or color. Heck, Gibson just about never has the wide ribbon-curl stuff anymore that I like. But -- and it's a big but -- tastes and the market all want fussy, fine, mirror-imaged thin flames, so your guitar, while hardly non-typical in the LP world, is not going to win prozes when it comes to resale, and lots of people will not like the look as much as a better-matched instrument. That's how it is. I would hold it and return it for one you like. It's rarely true that a new LP plays and sounds so fantastic that i must be kept. In truth, they're producing them in the hundreds to the same specs and most will be as good. If your Sweetwater guy is supposedly looking out for you (which they're not, they're looking to sel stuff to you) then have him get some more LPs you can consider so you can return the one they sold you that obviously you do not really find ideal.
I appreciate this perspective thanks. I almost wish I could nuke the thread by deleting my original post because I've grown quite fond of the guitar and how it plays and moves. I like its playability and sound a lot. I like its weight a lot. I like its paint a lot. I get that the two halves diverge a the center seam more than normal but I've started to like it. I videod myself playing it and it looks great in action, and fits my personalty I think. As for resale - if it was a $5K+ Historic I would totally care. For a USA Standard, I feel it is less important and I actually think I could market it enthusiastically with good pics, the weight, and of course including a photo of it looking its worst. But at my age, where I'm at.. that isn't such a big consideration. All my life I tried to score killer used deals that I could flip when done - and it was fun and worked really well, but now I just want a few nice new guitars that haven't been passed around to grow old with. I've looked at almost every 60s LP Standard on all the online sites and only around 10% are this light (only 10 out of 109 on Wildwood's site are 8.85lb or below), and out of those many don't have obviously better tops. Yes sure I could find one with no two-face color but I feel like it would be a risk that it has something else funky about it. So I totally get that I could refuse this one but I mentioned in a different thread that in a two week period I've sort of started to bond and identify with this one, and it did win a shoot-out with another 60's from Sweetwater. I also think MLP forum people have been really generous with thier insights and I appreciate that a lot.

Latest Threads