is this "half and half" look enough to return Les Paul over?

coyote95667

Reaction score
The first pic is from dealer website. the second two are mine. depending on angle one half or the other darkens and changes figure (makes it look half bourbon, half iced tea). hung on the wall, the half with the knobs goes dark. if I squat down 3 feet, it looks matched. Should I just send this back to dealer and ask to replace with one that doesn't have this characteristic so much? But it is hard to tell from dealer photos if the guitar will do this in real life (disappearing flame trick). It is possible but really not that easy to position it light so both halves pop at once. Any insight or advice? weight balance and tone are great so I'm a little bit torn - but I am hoping any good weight Standard 60s will sound similar so maybe just replace it?

Attachments

• B9216674-D7EA-499D-9DE8-4AD94D29DE03.jpeg
    B9216674-D7EA-499D-9DE8-4AD94D29DE03.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 280
  • 4F6F7479-2283-4AF5-B5E7-E291BD534F79_1_201_a.jpeg
    4F6F7479-2283-4AF5-B5E7-E291BD534F79_1_201_a.jpeg
    167.5 KB · Views: 276
  • 1019E0FC-EAA3-4E56-9041-6C89F3A87EDC_1_201_a.jpeg
    1019E0FC-EAA3-4E56-9041-6C89F3A87EDC_1_201_a.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 273

1allspub

Reaction score
Totally subjective. If it's not what you dig... then..........

Tsukiyomi

Reaction score
You paid a ton for it. If you don't like it, return it.
+1

Was that the only pic you (OP) saw before buying it? (Not criticising you at all, I'm just wondering how careful they were to make sure the mismatch didn't show up). But unless this one plays like a dream and makes you sound 20 times better than you might be already, I'd send it back for a replacement.

coyote95667

Reaction score
+1

Was that the only pic you (OP) saw before buying it? (Not criticising you at all, I'm just wondering how careful they were to make sure the mismatch didn't show up). But unless this one plays like a dream and makes you sound 20 times better than you might be already, I'd send it back for a replacement.
They show the same stock angles for all their Les Pauls so they didn't set out to deceive here. None of their angles show the color flip. They also use sort of dull lighting. So I can't tell from their photos on a replacement either. On the other hand - it is growing on me a little so I don't know what I'll do. It's a good dealer so I know it will be up to me in the end. I guess I have till Tuesday before I even have to decide whether to reach out to them about it. if it looked like its glamour shot all the time I would never think of letting it go.

Attachments

• 5D02DA5F-AD09-4B34-AB06-32B32450A03E.jpeg
    5D02DA5F-AD09-4B34-AB06-32B32450A03E.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 65

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not unusual. Your call on what you do...

Suppose one takes a slab.
Suppose one slices that slab into two slabs and opens em like a book and slide them together.
Same grain pattern for the most part because it is two sides of a cut determined by the kerf of the blade.
You are looking at the wood kinda from opposite angles. Not unusual for one to light up and other darker depending on angle. Do the same angle from opposite side and the light characteristics will reverse.... Some angle they are both lit.... Some angle, both can be dark...... Just is...

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bry just posted pics that shows exactly what I detailed...

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
P.S. I think it is a gorgeous Lester personally.... Your call though....

The only way both sides will be the same from all angles is a one piece top or painted a solid color.

mjross

Reaction score
Totally subjective. If it's not what you dig... then..........
I agree with this but another consideration is how does she play! I’d prefer a better playing guitar than one that is cosmetically correct. However, you are the one that is paying for it and has to look at it every day. If the cosmetics bother you, you might want to return it.

Renegade

Reaction score
weight balance and tone are great so I'm a little bit torn - but I am hoping any good weight Standard 60s will sound similar so maybe just replace it?
Sounds like a keeper.
Figured tops can do weird things with different lighting and angles and the next one could be just as bad or worse. The only way to be sure is to buy in person.
Personally I think it looks good and the next one might not have the balance and tone mojo of this one.

BDW60

Reaction score
If I thought it sounded good and played well and didn’t have any QC issues, I would not even consider sending it back. You don’t know the next one will be as good. I assume what the OP was hoping for was a good Les Paul. It was always a subtle top, not a flame thrower.

But that’s just me ... it’s not my $$$.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
It is totally up to you; you never know what you're going to get sometimes even with the dealer pictures.

Yep, yours has character and only your guitar has that exact character. I actually like it, very cool. I thought mine had less flame from the Sweetwater pictures, I did not want a lot of flame and you can see the first picture from Sweetwater does not show a ton of flame. Luckily, I still love it, even with more flame than I thought it had as you can see in the 2nd and 3rd picture. It all changes depending on the angle you're looking at it. My Epiphone 59's Veneer top the 4th picture looks the same no matter what angle, I think I like the Nitro 3D look a bit better. The last picture is the Gibson 60's and Epiphone 59 together.

gibsonlemonburst2.jpg

gibsonlp60slb_2.jpg

gibsonlp60slb_6.jpg

lazarus6.jpg

IMG-4994.jpg

Last edited:

coyote95667

Reaction score
If I thought it sounded good and played well and didn’t have any QC issues, I would not even consider sending it back. You don’t know the next one will be as good. I assume what the OP was hoping for was a good Les Paul. It was always a subtle top, not a flame thrower.

But that’s just me ... it’s not my $$$.
you're completely right I picked "not a flamethrower" I wanted a subtle flame, a little flecks - like the dealer pic. I just got a little bit surprised how one side of it shaded and blanked out (while the other side is popping more than I really signed up for). The feedback here is really helpful. I happen to like the paint a lot, and it plays and sounds great (nut slots a little high but easily remedied). I feel 95% to keep it - I don't want to keep sending guitars back and forth from CA to Indiana only to wish in the end htat I kept the first one). thanks

rjwilson37

Reaction score
you're completely right I picked "not a flamethrower" I wanted a subtle flame, a little flecks - like the dealer pic. I just got a little bit surprised how one side of it shaded and blanked out (while the other side is popping more than I really signed up for). The feedback here is really helpful. I happen to like the paint a lot, and it plays and sounds great (nut slots a little high but easily remedied). I feel 95% to keep it - I don't want to keep sending guitars back and forth from CA to Indiana only to wish in the end htat I kept the first one). thanks
I know exactly what you're saying, I did not want a flamethrower either and my Sweetwater pictures did show me something different than what I got. But you know what, I still love how it changes depending on the angles and I really don't mind that it has more flame than I signed up for. I hope you love yours as much as I love mine, they are really great guitars. My nut was a little bit higher than I liked as well, and my Luthier fixed it up nicely for me with a nice setup. Now it's perfect and a total joy to play.

Latest Threads