Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Better but not enough

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Not at all

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

5F6-A

Reaction score
My amp has a direct out jack that simulates using the speaker. What do you think? I? Is the sweetening of the DI enough in your opinion? Thanks!

First, few chords with guitar straight into card. Second, is the guitar into amp and through DI into card.

freefrog

Reaction score
Why didn't you use a dirty tone for this test ? Clean tones are always good or acceptable, even from a guitar plugged direct to the board, IME/IMHO/AFAIK. That's only with gain and distortion that fizzyness comes and justifies the presence of a cab as a tone filter...

INDIFFERENT PARENTHESIS
Because of the lazyness of some sound engineers who wouldn't want to plug a SM57, I've played several times for hundreds of persons with various Marshall amps plugged direct to the board.
it was "enough" to be heard clearly.
It was not enough to simulate the 3D spaciousness due to the comb filtering of some loudspeaker(s).
And it was not enough when the supposed "sound engineer" had forgottent to include any cab sim after the DI,... I think that I've never played with a worse tone: farting bass, fizzy highrange and an impossibility to hear the note played, drowned in an awful noise.

I've evoked the Nux Sold Studio in your other topic: For me, it's definitively a good solution when I want the sound of my amp as if it was miked but without microphone.

LP1865

Reaction score
I don't think your line output has any IRs. I suggest you use some free ones.
Also, the first one sounded far better

5F6-A

Reaction score
I don't think your line output has any IRs. I suggest you use some free ones.
Also, the first one sounded far better
The line output has a combination of resistors and one capacitor but no IR. Everything very old school.
The first clip was guitar straight into the card.... I'm realising that an IR loader after the DI might be the ticket but the amp through the Jupiter speaker sounds glorious.

LP1865

Reaction score
I'd suggest you still use IRs. Several free ones available

freefrog

Reaction score
I'm realising that an IR loader after the DI might be the ticket but the amp through the Jupiter speaker sounds glorious.
it's one more reason to "capture" the sound of this loudspeaker with the Nux Solid Studio. i've done it with 5 or 6 different loudspeakers among my own gear so it appears to be doable... :)

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
Cleans are usually not an issue when using an amp with DI that has speaker emulation. It’s when using hi gain where it can get fizzy and sound like bees in a can.

I have yet run across an amp that has usable hi gain sounds using the amp’s built-in speaker emulation through the DI.

Using IR’s as suggested is the ticket when playing / recording direct into an audio interface.

For direct recording, I like to use the direct out with speaker emulation from a tube amp for cleans and a Kemper for hi gain use.

Use an AB switch box to switch between tube amp and Kemper. Best of both worlds using tube and solid state.

Last edited:

5F6-A

Reaction score
Cleans are usually not an issue when using an amp with DI that has speaker emulation. It’s when using hi gain where it can get fizzy and sound like bees in a can.

I have yet run across an amp that has usable hi gain sounds using the amp’s built-in speaker emulation through the DI.

Using IR’s as suggested is the ticket when playing / recording direct into an audio interface.

For direct recording, I like to use the direct out with speaker emulation from a tube amp for cleans and a Kemper for hi gain use.

Use an AB switch box to switch between tube amp and Kemper. Best of both worlds using tube and solid state.
I don't use high gain with that amp at all. I go for a tone very much like Clapton's here (left channel):

but being only 5 watts, the amp needs a bit of a nudge in terms of volume when playing live with a drummer.

LP1865

Reaction score
I don't use high gain with that amp at all. I go for a tone very much like Clapton's here (left channel):

but being only 5 watts, the amp needs a bit of a nudge in terms of volume when playing live with a drummer.
This sounds amazing!!!

mdubya

Reaction score
I like it.

Way back when, 10-12 years ago, I used a Tech 21 British pedal with a built in speaker sim to do some recording with a producer friend. It sounded great. Great enough, I still use that pedal to benchmark modeled Marshall tones.

When he played my tracks for some of his other guitar players he worked with, several wanted to know how I got my tone (Epi Sheraton, 57 Classics, Tech 21 British).

JMHO.

Last edited:

Latest Threads